I have to move to vancouver.

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:42 am
I have to move to Vancouver on august 29. i don't want to, but my parents are set. any tips on what to do to adapt?
il be going from pittsburgh to there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 4,338 • Replies: 21

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:44 am
@hamilton,
What sorts of things are you interested in? Vancouver has a lot of offer culturally - great location - sea and mountains - awesome food city - super universities. What do you want to explore?
hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:47 am
@ehBeth,
hmmm...
well, im going into high school, i am a swimmer, i like to eat, i like the parks.
any tips on meeting and making some new friends? should i stay in touch with the ones back home?
Questioner

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:48 am
@hamilton,
It's a VERY beautiful area with a ton of outdoors things to do and see. And as ehbeth said, great food, great culture.

One thing you should do pretty quickly is prepare yourself for the dampness. You will get wet. When my wife and I lived up that way we each plunked down decent money on some REI outerwear that helps keep you dry but doesn't look like you're wearing a tarp.

I'd recommend that, highly.
hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:49 am
@Questioner,
i love rei. it is quite a lifesaver....
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:18 am
@hamilton,
Stanley Park (10% bigger than NYC Central Park and one of the finest in the world) is an awesome place to hang out. It used to have an internationally-known zoo, but I hear they closed it down in 1997. The park now has a an incredible aquarium. It also has fantastic botanical gardens. Vancouver, BC has some incredible and varied Asian restaurants and a large Chinatown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park
ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:20 am
@hamilton,
If you would be starting high school where you are now, you'd be meeting to new people in any case. That wouldn't be too different.

Gorgeous parks in and near Vancouver.

I changed schools a lot as a kid. Not because we moved, but because of new schools being built and changes in what I needed from school. It was long before the days of the internet/cell phones etc, so it wasn't that easy to keep in touch with people from previous schools. I didn't much care since I liked meeting new kids and teachers. I realize that not everyone enjoys change the way I did, so my suggestion now would be to keep in occasional touch with your old friends, but not to the extent that it prevents you from focussing on your new community.
hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:22 am
@Ragman,
while we were looking around the place, we entered the city through it's east side, where they had relocated and legalized all the meth addicts. great first impressions, lol.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:25 am
@ehBeth,
hmmm...
i have a friend who moved to cleveland last year. at first he kept in touch pretty well, but as time went by, he never contacted us. he's rarely on skype, but we find ways to keep in contact. its annoying that he's so silent sometimes...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:38 pm
Hi! I live in the Fraser Valley, east of Vancouver.

Just for your interest, here's something to look at for things to do in Vancouver:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/things_to_do/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 09:09 pm
@hamilton,
http://i55.tinypic.com/zlunhi.jpg
Ceili

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 09:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Good Golly Tzar, how old is that map.
Vancouver still has a pretty good zoo, but it's about an hour or so out of Vancouver proper near Langley. Greater Vancouver is actually made up of several cities, Vancouver, Richmond, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Surrey, Maple Ridge, Aldergrove, Burnaby, West Vancouver, Delta, maybe even Mission and other town's like White Rock and Horseshoe Bay and so on..
There are mountains, lakes, trails, pools, great golf courses and universities, whales, seals, dolphins, yachts, cruise ships, three ski hills in town and the world class Whistler and 1 1/2 hours away.
Across the straight lies Vancouver Island with some of the best diving, skiing, fishing and surfing in the world, with forests of trees that rival the red woods in California. There are world class wineries tucked amoung mountains made for climbing, and quiet camp sites only you, the bears and cougars will find.. Wink
It's only 3 hours from Seattle, another very cool city. You'll fall in love with the city and I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends.

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:44 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Vancouver still has a pretty good zoo, but it's about an hour or so out of Vancouver proper near Langley.

Actually, it's not near Langley, but in Langley, on 264th street. Aldergrove is just a community name within Langley.

I was there every month reading the meters when I was still working, as they were on my routes.

http://www.gvzoo.com/
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 11:28 am
Ha! Funny you should mention 264. My cousin lives in Langley, still not sure where the town is though.. Just after I moved to B.C. she invited me to tea one day, she asked if I knew where the zoo was, I blurted out the number before I even though about it. She was kind of amazed. I have that affect on people.. Laughing
I took the ferry 20 years ago, sadly we were marooned on the wrong side and didn't stop to see the fort when we got across. I really wanted to go to the cranberry festival but missed it both years I lived out there. One day...
Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:56 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
... My cousin lives in Langley, still not sure where the town is though. ...

Langley is between Surrey and Abbotsford.

http://www.ourbc.com/bc_maps/vancouver_coast/gif_maps/lower_mainland_560_256.gif

Here's a better map (PDF file):

http://www.hellobc.com/NR/rdonlyres/94212952-34DC-4D05-B2FC-74A0F93A18CF/0/LowerMain.pdf
Ceili

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:09 pm
@Reyn,
I was just there, I guess if I'd taken the highway from Surrey to Abbotsford I would have tripped over it. My cousin's on the other side of the 1. I see I added a few cities and forgot a few.
The geography's much harder when you go from the flatlands to the coast... lol
Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:12 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
The geography's much harder when you go from the flatlands to the coast... lol

Yes indeed. A newcomer to the area would be wise to have a map handy. Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:08 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Good Golly Tzar, how old is that map.

Vancouver-1798 map
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vancouver-1798map-FucaGeorgia.png
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:36 pm
Tell your mom this:

I'm super-duper paranoid about this kind of stuff. I know I'm probably too paranoid, but what can I say, I am.

Yet I started a whole thread about the fact that I was moving to Columbus, Ohio (and got some really world-class advice in the course of that thread). Super-duper paranoid me.

I'm paranoid enough that I won't say exactly what neighborhood I live in, but I'm comfortable with revealing the city. It's a largish city. Vancouver's pretty big, too.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 07:09 am
@sozobe,
wrong thread, but...
thanks!