CREEPY SOCIAL MEDIA

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Well, and it apparently has not sunk in with everyone here that the subject is social media and children and how it can affect them. I can't do anything about that, though, and don't intend to worry about it.
The way that social media can affect children
is probably similar to the telefone.

David
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:10 pm
Some of you might be interested in this article from CNET about a new social network for kids and their families.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19518_3-20078924-238/ohanarama-a-social-network-for-kids-and-their-families/?tag=cnetRiver

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Interesting!

It seems to be mostly about playing games though -- I haven't found any equivalents of wall posts, or status updates, or comments, or messaging.

Here we go:

Quote:
Ohanarama offers messaging among family members only. The Parent Account holder is responsible for approving individuals connected to the family and able to send/receive messages with children. An individual, adult or child, will not be able to message a child within Ohanarama without prior approval of the Parent Account holder.

http://www.ohanarama.com/faq.php

That could work.

That seems to be just messaging, though.

Still not sure if it would be an interesting enough replacement for the means of communication she already has -- email, texting, etc.

Also it doesn't seem to be totally free. (You get a certain amount of "neuros" free but you seem to be goosed to buy more.... I dislike those kinds of sites.)

I'll keep an eye on it...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:43 pm
I had another chat with the little girl who is the subject of the opening post. She told me she had told her mom, but not anyone else--by which i knew she referred to me having told her my name in real life. I told her good, you should always tell your mom about people you talk to online. We discussed Alice in Wonderland, and i told her about John Tenniel and some other illustrators. I had a very stong impression that her mother was with her at the time. I am very gratified to see that he mother takes such a close interest in her online activities.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:19 am
@Setanta,
Just like every good mother should! Smile
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:19 am
@hamilton,
untill they reach a certain age, of course.
0 Replies