i'm looking for an english name for myself, could you do me a favor?

alps56

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:33 pm
i'm a Chinese and my firstname sounds like "rengod(仁国)", it means mercy and country. i want to find a proper english name for myself, could you give me some advance suggestions? thanks a lot!
and by the way, i like Alps, i used to call myself Alps, but Alps, you know, is a mountain, so i think use it as an english name is strange. do you think so?

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:08 pm
@alps56,
Something that sounds like rengod, when you say it, would make a perfect name.

Will your last name be Smith?

alps56

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:26 pm
@laughoutlood,
thank you. my lastname will be my original family name, i won't change it. and the word "rengod", i cannot find it in dictionary. i don't konw what it means.
0 Replies

stinger99

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:48 pm
@alps56,
Hi,
Go to a library & get out a book of names, usually for new parents but it'll give you ideas, also give meaning of each name. Good luck.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:05 am
@stinger99,
I'm interested in helping you figure out a name that makes sense for you. Give me a bit of time.

In the meantime, do you want your country to be merciful?
Phrases like river of mercy are often associated with religious texts, which might not be what you want - or may be.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:16 am
@ossobuco,
Rheingold is the name of an opera, and also a beer - you might like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Rheingold
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:41 am
@stinger99,
thank you. i've tried this before but it doesn't work. because i'm not very familiar with the western culture. i'm afraid of picking a name for myself without comprehension. just like you may cannot give yourself a chinese name just after looking up some dictionaries.
0 Replies

alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:04 am
@ossobuco,
you are very nice, thank you. about my country, merciful, i don't realize which aspect you mean. of course i hope my country be merciful and in my view in most aspects it is.
the name "rheingold", to be honest, i don't like it very much. actually, i really don't very care the name you suggest pronounce like my chinese name or not. i care the meaning of it. but, thank you very much.
i've thought about "rex", "reg", what do you think? or you can suggest another name for me if you want.
roger

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:41 am
@alps56,
You may be on the right track by suggesting names and seeing how we receive them. I would reject 'Rex'. First, it suggests royalty and sounds a little arrogant. Second, people tend to give names like 'Rex' and 'Duke' to dogs.
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 02:10 am
@roger,
wow, thank you. this is very helpful. english names are slowly driving me mad. what about "al", "roy" and "chris"?
roger

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:00 am
@alps56,
Those sound okay. Are you looking for a screen name for internet useage? On one site, I was too late to be Roger, and I didn't want something like Rogerxyz. I picked Nermal, which happens to be the name of my cat.

If that's why you are looking for a name, something that short is probably already taken. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with alps. Maybe you could use the English name for an island, or something like that.
McTag

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:36 am
@alps56,

Are you male?

"Ben" is a good name, and it also means "mountain", in Scotland.
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:02 am
@roger,
i'm not looking for a screen name for internet useage. i want a name for everyday life. does alps sounds good for everyday life? or will you feel odd if someone called alps around you? thanks.
0 Replies

alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:04 am
@McTag,
yes. "ben" is good, but there are too many bens around me. thank you very much.
High Seas

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:12 am
@alps56,
Try "Rehn" - it's the same sound as the first half of your Chinese name, it's common (with various spellings) in the West, and has no bad origin or meaning:
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Rehn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:13 am
@alps56,
How about David ?
Green Witch

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:27 am
I think you should stay with something that sounds similar to your current name. These names would be easy for english speakers to remember and pronounce:

Reginald - powerful one
Richard - brave one
Robert - famous or smart
Ross - from the place of horses
Royce - son of the king
Ryan - little king

I think you have to be careful with names like Alps, it will sound strange to most people who speak english when used as a given name. To me it reminds me of the American brand of dog food called Alpo.

Male names I just like: Lucas, Marcus, Jason, Malcolm, Rhys and Cole.

alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:51 am
@High Seas,
thank you. but "rehn" is a last name, is it proper to use it as a first name?
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
"david" is common and usual. in my view, it just like "xiaoming", "dingding" or "dongdong" in chinese, besides this, i think "david" is too powful by its pronounciation. anyway, thank you.
High Seas

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:00 am
@alps56,
Sure, why not? Chinese names start with surname anyway, so nobody would be surprised; besides, it probably originates in an early European first name.