i'm looking for an english name for myself, could you do me a favor?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:00 am
@alps56,
alps56 wrote:
"david" is common and usual. in my view, it just like "xiaoming", "dingding" or "dongdong" in chinese, besides this,
i think "david" is too powful by its pronounciation. anyway, thank you.
Maybe you meant "powerful" ??
Fido

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:07 am
@alps56,
Are you a man or a woman???
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:08 am
@Green Witch,
thanks. you've given me some useful information and suggestions. they're very helpful. i won't use "alps" again. will "ryan" let others feel a little arrogant cause it means little king?
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:10 am
@Fido,
the former one. sorry, i forget to mention it.
0 Replies

alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
yes. sorry, my bad.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
@alps56,
I would suggest Justin... True justice is always merciful, and no country can live without it..
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:16 am
@High Seas,
great! could you tell me what's the meaning of it? does it means counsel?
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:26 am
@Fido,
True justice is always merciful. i appreciate it. but "justin" is not suit me. it's not the name i'm looking for. thanks a lot.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:26 am
@alps56,
Many male european names indicate strength or power. Europeans were obsessed with monarchy and tribal rank when these names were created. Most english speakers do not know the original meaning of names and no one would think you were being arrogant by picking one of them.
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:36 am
@Green Witch,
you're my history teacher. haha... now i see, thank you.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:49 am
@alps56,
That's the most likely original meaning - as you know from the link there are also others. You can spell it "Renn" if that makes it easier for you to explain.
Quote:
Firstly, it may derive from a shortened form of any of the various pre 7th century Germanic male given names with the first element "ragin", meaning counsel. These include Raymond and Reynold, meaning "counsel-rule" from "ragin" and "wald", rule.
Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Rehn#ixzz1SScWEPUj
alps56

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:53 am
@High Seas,
ok, thank you very much.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:15 am
@alps56,
Might I recommend names such as

Otto
Jerome
Arthur
Earnest/Ernest
Bruce
Victor
Tiberius
Edgar
Qasim
Baruch

Is there any set proper English name? To some extent it would be whatever name you happen across that you're happy with. Even surnames are often used as the given name as well as unique names which are created by a parent or name bearer when they aren't content with the name they have. Perhaps there is a name of a character in a book, play, movie that you like or relate to and they have a name which you like, then consider it.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:27 am
I used to teach a Sikh lad who liked to be called Sean. You can really adopt any name you like. People only tend to check the meanings of names when they're choosing a name for a baby. If you like Alps, what about Alf, Algy or Albert. Rengold sounds a bit like Ronald.
Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:59 am
I think you should pick and name and go with it. Do name meanings really matter? Most people don't really care what a name means.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:19 am
@alps56,
alps56 wrote:

thanks. you've given me some useful information and suggestions. they're very helpful. i won't use "alps" again. will "ryan" let others feel a little arrogant cause it means little king?

I don't believe too many people give the definition of their first name much thought. As Green Witch already mentioned Reginald, I also thought that name as it was the first name I thought of when I read the approximation of your (?)name, Rengod.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:27 am
My wife and some of her friends came from mainland China to the United States in 1988 as college students. They adopted Western names that sounded similar to their Chinese names. My wife's name is Xiaoyin (pronounced chow-yeen). She told her American friends to call her Charlene.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:45 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
My wife and some of her friends came from mainland China to the United States in 1988 as college students. They adopted Western names that sounded similar to their Chinese names. My wife's name is Xiaoyin (pronounced chow-yeen). She told her American friends to call her Charlene.
About that time, my friend, Donald, marrried a medical doctor from Red China.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:37 pm
How about Nimrod?

Sounds like rehngod.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:47 pm
The Alps are a set of mountains. I'm going to see if I can find some of their individual mountain names, just in case you might like one of them.