i'm looking for an english name for myself, could you do me a favor?

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 08:36 am
Oops, I guess I posted before reaching the bottom of the page--I see ehBeth beat me to it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 08:53 am
Since you like the alps so much, why not Albert - in parts of Germany we
call going up a mountain "going to the alb" - so Albert would be a strong (mountain) as well as aristocratic name.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 08:55 am
This may have been posted already, but Gordon is close to the sounds of your Chinese name stirred around a bit.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:31 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
An English name that actually sounds like the Chinese name has benefits. You are more likely to react when someone calls you by your English name if it sounds like the name you grew up with.

Maybe, maybe not. Mother changed her name from a simple one syllable lovely name to a three syllable oddity. She was quite able to handle it, and through it all both her parents continued to use her birth name. Some family used both her first and new name (which had been her middle name). That too often happens with a name change, if people know you from the earlier name they march continue with it at least for a time.

Of course Mother was mentally unstable so that may have helped, she maybe had been practicing her new name for years and nobody knew (except the Spinach family that lived in her bureau drawer). Then again, maybe that's why she took the shears to the sofa cushions and then denied it while strips of fabric were strewn everywhere. Maybe the cushions knew and she had to silence them.

I think in the end of it all, the idea is selecting a name one is most comfortable with, then it fits them and they will respond.
alps56

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:40 am
@MontereyJack,
yes, you're right. but to my surprise, i've found "randy" means "sexually excited" in the dictionary. i won't take it.
roger

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:44 am
@alps56,
Good research!
McTag

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:58 am
@roger,

FIVE (5) pages of name suggestions for this guy!

Choose a goddam name for chrissakes!!

I'll choose one.

Nothing with R or L, obviously. Not Ronald or Malcolm. Or Lionel.

Andrew, there you are. Job done.
0 Replies

alps56

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 04:54 am
@Sturgis,
thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

alps56

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:18 am
@CalamityJane,
i've considered "albert" before, it can be abbreviated to "al" and i really like this. there're some suitable names that you guys recommend, i deeply appreciate it. but i have not made the decision, however, i am sure i will choose one of the names listed above for my english name. thank you for your suggestion.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:07 am
There's always Albus as in Albus Dumbledore of "Harry Potter" fame

http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/2/20/Albus_Dumbledore.JPG
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:57 am
All of those manes are already taken . If you really want an English name for yourself, I will sell you "Aefledton" .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:20 am

Steve. Has anyone suggested Steve yet? Lovely name.

or

Franz Joseph Otto Robert Maria Anton Karl Max Heinrich Sixtus Xavier Felix Renatus Ludwig Gaetan Pius Ignatius
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
@alps56,
Well, I've since thought of Russell; the nickname is Russ. Russell can be a first name or surname here in the U.S., and I suppose in Britain too.
talk72000

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
OZ Actor: Russell Crowe
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:38 pm
@McTag,
Starts with an S. He doesn't like names that start with an S.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
@roger,
Roger is a neat name too..
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
Has Ronald, nickname Ron, much like Ren(god) been mentioned yet?
0 Replies

alps56

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:53 pm
thank you guys. i've made my decision. i'll choose "rehn" for my english name. personally, i like the simple ones. and when i write it, i find it looks very good.
thank all of you for the help.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:16 pm
@alps56,
I think it is a German name, not English. Go back and look at High Seas post earlier.

Not that you shouldn't take it, but be aware of your choice.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:53 am
Yeah, Rehn's not really an English name, at least not one that I've ever seen. Which doesn't mean you can't use it--it's just no more familiar to us than your Chinese name. I'm sure it;ll function prefectly well as a name (it is homophonous with "wren", a tiny bird, though)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ocC93vAmonA/TBqL9qCfybI/AAAAAAAADm4/kvjmgCzfLxM/s1600/House+Wren+Singing.jpg