Moms and Dads- Do you spank/ hit kids to punish them?

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:15 am
Do you hit your kids to punish them? My dad never hits me; he grabs me and shakes me sometimes lol or he yells but he never hit me. But the other day I went to a friends house and her mom slapped her for rolling her eyes. I thought that was kinda harsh and unfair. So I was just wondering if lots of parents hit their kids and why? Isnt that like abuse? What if it makes your kids hate you?

Here's a link to a website me and my sis found when we were looking up stuff like this. It's kinda funny but mostly harsh, I think it's suppose to be taken as a joke. Anyhow I thought I'd share it. (it's has alot if swear words too).
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,227 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed

boomerang

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
I don't think it's okay to hit a kid under any circumstances whatsoever.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:29 am
@GracieGirl,
May I ask how old you are?
chai2

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:35 am
I think shaking a kid is bad as well.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:36 am
@GracieGirl,
btw, parents don't have to be fair, get over it.
GracieGirl

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 12:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm 13. I just turned 13 last May
wayne

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:00 pm
@GracieGirl,
Personally, I don't believe in physical discipline, as a rule.
I think it's a cop out.

To be fair, though, not all kids are as intellectually capable as you are.
Better the rod than spoil the child.

As I see the case of your friend, some parents seem to take minor challenges to their authority far to seriously.
GracieGirl

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:27 pm
@chai2,
I'm over it. Wink
GracieGirl

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:29 pm
@wayne,
Thanks!

And, I totally agree! Smile
0 Replies

wayne

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:32 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

I'm over it. Wink

You are A- okay in my book kid Smile
GracieGirl

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:48 pm
@wayne,
HaHa! Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:09 pm
@GracieGirl,
No, we didn't/don't spank or hit our kids. I got a call last winter from my younger daughter telling me that a bunch of her floor mates at college were discussing their upbringing and she was shocked at how many of the kids said their parents spanked/hit/beat them. She also said that she couldn't fathom how horrible it must be to have to worry about being hit by your parents when they're the ones who are supposed to keep you safe.

She was so shaken by their statements that she left the room in the middle of the conversation to call us.
0 Replies

wayne

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:21 pm
When I grew up, spanking was accepted practice in our household.
However, the difference between my Father and my Mother was like night and day.
Absence of Malice makes all the difference.
My Father never raised his hand in anger.
0 Replies

Underwood

Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:35 am
I spank my kids for their wrong doings. I continued and spanked them as teenagers. They all knew that if I deem it necessary they should be spanked, I never hesitated to paddle their bottom no matter the age.
edgarblythe

Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:51 am
@Underwood,
Did any get up the nerve to smack your jaw yet?
Linkat

Fri 8 Nov, 2019 12:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Did any get up the nerve to smack your jaw yet?

I suspect this will happen soon. Then to me this is just self defense.

My teens are bigger than me - I wouldn't hit them - but then again I also have a certain level of respect for them so I wouldn't do something that is humiliating...except maybe dance and sing while their friends are over.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 8 Nov, 2019 02:25 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

I'm 13. I just turned 13 last May

So our Gracie is 21 now. Wow.
0 Replies

Nana Kojo

Fri 6 Mar, 2020 12:26 pm
I do not encourage spanking, even though it becomes difficult to controls these kids at times
0 Replies

AlbertoYao

Mon 24 Aug, 2020 12:25 am
I think it is not ok to spank kids unless they did something really bad.
0 Replies

Teufel

Mon 24 Aug, 2020 03:22 am
@GracieGirl,
Although this is an old thread, it is as relevant today as it was then.

If I strike an adult then that is assault in some form and certainly arrestable. Yet if I strike a child in some countries and according to some people, this is seen as acceptable. That is beyond bizarre.

If one looks at the internet social forum/social media it becomes instantly apparent just how many messed up people there are. Not super messed up, but emotionally stilted and really unable to cope with life.

That is a result of their parents emotional blackmail and inconsistent parenting. Striking children is poor parenting personified.

My wife and I have two children, our son was definitely a challenging child but we never needed to attack him physically or verbally.

Now people will say that there is nothing wrong with beating children .... Both our now adult children are PhD's ..... Our daughter a Dr of Sociology and our son a Dr of Mathematical Physics.

So child beaters, what is it your children do now they are adults? Much the same as yourself I'd surmise; not much of any value.

0 Replies