Marketing effect of a 3-minute presidential speech

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:03 am
Before I came to Korea, a lot of people told me that this bidding competition was going to be between Pyeongchang and Munich and the quality of presentation would determine the winner, and I was intrigued.

This bidding contest held in Durban, South Africa, only allows 45 minutes of presentation time and 15 minutes of Q&A. In this situation, Korea's bidding committee made the best possible strategic decision including President Lee Myung-Bak in the presentation team.

This three-minute presidential speech was decisive. IOC committee members knew how hard it was to make a speech in a non-native language. I believe that the committee members assessed this fact very highly. President Lee's speech was very fluid and this improved the effect of the speech.

President Lee sought to express the stout determination Korean government had for this bidding competition. "As the President of Republic of Korea, I promise you the total support of the Korean government."

This made it clear that Korea was going to make the 2018 Winter Olympics the top priority of the government and this event was going to be very special.

When a nation's leader promise like this, foreign people feel they can trust that country better. This is pretty much like when US president said 'The buck stops with me' that he's going to take the responsibilities on important political and state affairs decisions. South Korea's clear message to take the leading role probably have impressed IOC members.

Moreovr, his speech was not only interesting but also prestigious. It revealed his sincereness. When he said that Korea would give back to Olympics community might gain sympathy from the audiences. I was deeply impressed for president Lee's effort to gather the support from IOC members. It was a very clever strategy that he already knew most people love to be the supporter for certain candidate or a cause.

If we put president Lee's speech in American way, he is a real decent, prestigious and true leader-like president. President Lee's remark "Korean people cherish delligence, friendship, and fair match" is what I've witnessed for the last few years while I have lived in Korea. I am so glad that in 2018, the whole world will now see what this is about.

Charles Taylor (Professor of Villanova University, School of Management / Former President of the American Academy of Advertising)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,354 • Replies: 0
No top replies