Allergic to the "Reply All" Button?

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:43 am
Or, on the other hand, do you feel compelled to click "reply all" even when it means you are simply saying "thanks!" or "you can count me in for 10" to the autor of the email?

Or, are you one of those who does not understand the concept of "cc"?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,640 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:45 am
You are so mean . . .
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:46 am
@Setanta,
If you seek Amy set.
djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:50 am
@chai2,
i rarely send emails, i do however use the reply to all button here, and only the reply when i'm actually replying to a specific poster
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:51 am
Pesonally, i use c.c. I don't use e-mail, and i once got a great deal on carbon paper, so i have a lifetime supply . . .
djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 11:06 am
@Setanta,
i prefer cc and ginger ale Drunk
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 11:07 am
@chai2,
Shouldn't that be, "if you seek hey, you?"
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 11:09 am
@chai2,
I believe in keeping each response personal in some way. It's similar to when my grandmother died, some idiot thought a bunch of photocopy notifications would work well. I typed each one out separate.

Of course a few years later when mother kicked off, I crafted a nice piece of semi-fiction and had several copies run off. On each of them I jottered down a personal message, according to how long she'd known the person or if I had heard something about them or there was a note in her files that I felt like responding on. (she kept index cards on each person including comments as to where and when she met them)

So with that in mind, I haven't seen fit to be a lazybones and 'reply to all' in my e-mails and I find it to be piss poor manners of a person who does it all the time. This isn't to say I don't use the same main text for all of them, just each one deserves a personal comment instead of being treated like a requirement.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
Who is Amyset, anyway?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 01:06 pm
@Sturgis,
I should clarify Sturgis, I wasn't clear (which, if I had click reply all would mean that everyone wouldn't have gotten my drift)

I was talking about business email specifically.

What prompted this thread was annoyance at not looking to see who the email came from, who it was sent to, and using common sense in your type of reply.

I got, in this case, and email from Set, asking "What's going on with the Binkerman Deal?"
Knowing that dj was the person in charge of keeping old man Binkerman happy, I clicked reply to Set, and cc'd dj.

I said "Set, I think Binkerman is ready to make a decision, but dj's taking care of that. deej, could you please clarify and tell us the status?"

dj clicks "reply", not "reply all" and tell only me that Binkerman's attache came by last night to pick up the paperwork, and should be bringing in back in the morning.

So, I have to then either forward to set, or in this case, I clicked reply, cc'd Set again and said "That's fine dj, I'm including Set in this, since he was the one asking. When this is finalized tomorrow, could you please not be a moron, and reply to both of us, so I don't have to be your babysitter?"

Neutral

On the other extreme, Drew Dad will send a group email to me, Set, dj, sturgis and 55 other people simply asking "Was task xyz accomplish by your team?"

Instead of clicking reply and saying yes, no, or ask a question, ass clowns will click "Reply All" and proudly say "no, not yet." Even better when someone clicks reply all and says "yes, but as long as you're emailing me drew dad, I'd like to ask you a few questions about something totally unrelated." Best is click reply all and saying "I think I got this email in error, since I've never worked with you drew dad" then someone else will click "reply all" and say "I got your email drewdad, but I'm not on this project anymore, so I'm going to forward it to Larry, Moe and Curly to they can work on it." Drunk

Reply vs Reply All....they're different for a reason.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 01:49 pm
@chai2,
Guys, today I can't find the "Reply All" button in A2K, not for email though LOL. I'm serious, not joshing anyone. Did they remove it?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 01:58 pm
@aspvenom,
I don't see it either. What?

Well, I'm also having trouble on my own computer with the letters v (there, I hit it six times) and c (that worked that time).

This will probably pass, both my letters' stickiness and the reply all problem.

So, did you get your 20 page paper done?

aspvenom

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 02:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I made it 20.5 pages to show my effort Laughing . It was a science paper (physical chemistry) and thankfully my outline was 11 pages to begin with, so I just had to flush it out. There are numerous reasons as to why I hate the mundane work padded honors program, and this paper is one of the reasons.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 02:55 pm
@chai2,
Watch out, if you are using gmail. I understand they are set up for threaded discussions and that if you delete one useless reply to a reply to a forward, it is possible to delete the whole series of emails. I have a vague feeling that something like this is going on with Outlook, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 05:01 pm
@aspvenom,
I never took pchem but had several friends who did. My brain would probably have exploded.

I guess I'll report the lack of reply all.
Ceili

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Ironically, I just heard a radio thing the other day about doing away with the reply all button or at least hiding it/making it more difficult to accidentally hit it - similar to what Google has done. It seems many companies are tired of people not understanding the intention behind the button and too many people have gotten themselves in trouble because of..
0 Replies