Woman Who Planted Veggie Garden In Front Yard May Face Jail Time

djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:09 pm
Woman who planted veggie garden in front yard may face jail time
11/07/2011 8:00:00 AM
by Monica Bugajski

A Michigan homeowner is facing a jury trial and potential jail time for planting a vegetable garden. This act is apparently in violation of city code, which dictates that only "suitable materials" be used in all unpaved portions of front yards.

Julie Bass, an Oak Park, Michigan homeowner and mother-of-six, decided to plant a vegetable garden in her front yard so that she could save money by growing her own organic food. She filled five large planter boxes with cabbages, cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs and other edible vegetation.

While many neighbors enjoyed the fruits of her labour, others complained. Seeing how city code requires homeowners to plant shrubbery, grass, ground cover, and "suitable materials" in all unpaved portions of front yards, city code enforcement officials told Mrs. Bass to squash the project or face a ticket.

According to Oak Park City Planner Kevin Rulkowski, the word "suitable" means "common," and vegetable gardens in front yards in Mrs. Bass's community are not common, so Mrs. Bass is in violation of the code.

Mrs. Bass now faces a trial by jury and up to 93 days of jail time.

But suitable does not mean common (as stated by Merriam Webster's online dictionary, suitable means "adapted to a use or purpose" and "satisfying propriety").

Vegetables are in fact very suitable to a front yard because they make perfect use of the soil and space. As to whether or not a vegetable garden satisfies propriety - conforming to what is socially acceptable in conduct - this is really a matter of opinion.

Mr. Rulkowski says that what is common in the community is "a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers." His argument is based on his belief that anything veering from this standard is not right, appropriate or fitting for a front yard.

His priority appears to be the preservation of a certain cookie-cutter aesthetic in the neighborhood. But to me, there really isn't much of a visual difference between a raised flowerbed and a vegetable one, but there are some huge practical ones.

Mrs. Bass's code-compliant neighbors will on average use about five gallons of fuel a year per household to run their lawnmowers and trimmers, which each produce as much smog in an hour as an average car does when it drives between 100-200 miles.

An additional five gallons of fuel is consumed in watering their lawns. Water is a precious and undervalued resource in the US, so much so that three times more of it is invested in grass than corn, making lawns the largest irrigated crop in the U.S.

Mrs. Bass's fruitful efforts, on the other hand, produce an environmentally conscious space that positively impacts quality of life by reducing emissions and cutting back on wasteful water consumption, all while growing fresh eats.

Let's consider the fact that with food shortages becoming a looming reality and the price of groceries in stores continually on the rise, Mrs. Bass's garden makes sense not just environmentally but also economically.

Surely, all this would be in line with "propriety" if city official and other opponents to Mrs. Bass were really interested in the greater good of their communities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 3,386 • Replies: 30

Irishk

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:47 pm
@djjd62,
I saw that story the other day and remember thinking how glad I was that the powers-that-be are keeping their eyes on the really big issues of the day Wink
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@Irishk,
exactly, plus a well tended veg garden can be very picturesque

a couple in Toronto have started a business where they will plant your yard with veggies, look after the crop, and you get 25% of the yield and they sell the rest at markets, pretty good deal i'd say, no more yard maintenance and free veg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 05:42 pm
So that's the land of the free is it?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 06:38 am
Did they say what would happen to her garden if she goes to jail? Will the City dig it up? That's reprehensible. Not just to prevent her from growing veggies, but to fine and jail her! That's over the top.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:50 am
I cant grow vegetables in my front yard either... bloody neighbours steal everything ...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 09:18 am
@djjd62,
This is just plain old dumb!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:25 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Mr. Rulkowski says that what is common in the community is "a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers." His argument is based on his belief that anything veering from this standard is not right, appropriate or fitting for a front yard.

His priority appears to be the preservation of a certain cookie-cutter aesthetic in the neighborhood. But to me, there really isn't much of a visual difference between a raised flowerbed and a vegetable one, but there are some huge practical ones.

I just googled images of Oak Park, MI.

Mostly NOT nice grass yards with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers.

Who are they kidding, this isn't a cookie cutter community. Although I'm sure there's fancy areas, on the whole it looks like a place where no one would think twice about planting some veggies.

Lawns are stupid.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:47 am
In my city, they do an annual beautiful front yard garden competition. They have a section specifically for veggies. Some canadian cities are now allowing people to keep chickens. Seriously, with the poor economy you'd think sustainable living would be encouraged.
This is beyond stupid.
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:52 am
@Ceili,
I know at least 2 people in my neighborhood who are keeping chickens.

There a little house maybe a mile from me, near the intersection of Lamar and Mary St., that has had a goat in it's front yard as long as I can remember.

It's a billy goat gruff goat, and sleeps in an igloo. He likes to stand on the picnic table.

As you can see, his name is Nik.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/211060_135648119789294_2311464_n.jpg

http://static.gowalla.com/photos/8703457_high_res_320x480.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:57 am
luckily we live in a rural area, our gardens are all annuals, we have plants that bloom through out the year to give a nice look, but we don't go crazy, other neighbours spend big bucks every year planting one season flowers

we also refuse to remove dandelions, nothing i love more than a lawn full of yellow blossoms in the spring, just cut the grass before they go to seed

we also have a number of sunflowers every year that the birds plant from the bird feeders
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 01:08 pm
@djjd62,
There are no dandy lions in Niks front yard.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:35 am
I always wanted an elephant in my front yard... to keep out the garden gnomes...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 07:58 am
@djjd62,
This really is rather odd.
...that planting vegetables in a person's own front yard could be considered an offence, that could land a person in jail.
But then, I recall on another thread, that there were some places in the US where people are prohibited from using outdoor clotheslines to dry their washing.
Maybe it's time some local authorities caught up with perfectly good practices, rather than worrying so much about appearances?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:13 am

While these gardens looks rather nice at harvest time, but in the spring and late fall, it really doesn't look very nice.

This area is subdivisions with somewhat cookie cutter homes on 40 ft. lots.

The garden could go in the back yeard, IMHO

Punkey(from michigan)
raprap

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:23 am
@PUNKEY,

My idea of hell is subdivisions with cookie cutter homes on 40 ft. lots. IMO some degree of chaos is preferable, but then some find the big dark woods scary.

Rap
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:36 am
I wonder how many people have weeds that could hide a pre-schooler, or old rusting jalopies and other such eyesores have been sent to jail? How about people who never fix a roof or give a house a new coat of paint every 50 or so years. In the fall, my grass looks like crap too, so do most of the flower plants.
I've had several friends try to buy a house in my tiny little neighbourhood because the trees are massive, the houses are different as are the yards. I can't tell you the numbers of houses I've seen with a full potato crop in the front. It's a great preparation for sod, as they add nitrogen to the soil.
About the only thing you can't plant here, and could possibly be arrested for, is a yard full of flowering poppies or pot, but then I'd definitely grow the latter in secret. lol
ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:39 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
This area is subdivisions with somewhat cookie cutter homes on 40 ft. lots.

all the more reason to do something useful with the front yard

(ehBeth, first on her block to have ripped up the front lawn)
msolga

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:43 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
(ehBeth, first on her block to have ripped up the front lawn)

I'm interested, ehBeth.
What did you plant?
Or what do you intend to plant there, if you haven't done it already?
raprap

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:50 am
@Ceili,
Not in the 14 MMJ states, including Michigan--you can grow your marijuana in full sight of the state and local police. Thieves; however, may drive you indoors.

Too bad there aren't 50 MMJ states.

http://www.growroompr.com/images/mmj_map.jpg

Rap