Woman Who Planted Veggie Garden In Front Yard May Face Jail Time

Ceili

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:58 am
I can plant up to six plants, but yeah thieves would be the reason to hide it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@raprap,
Im considering small kiosks that make and sell pizzas to be located in subdivisions where MMJ is considered Ok. Ill make a fortune
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:43 am
@msolga,
I put in a small garden of native perennials. Ferns, Solomons Seal, dogwoods etc. There is one large climbing rose bush from the Canadian Explorer Collection in the mix. Some of the groundcover is non-native, but as long as it survives without watering it gets to stay.

The garden is based on what grew in the understory of forests in Ontario a couple of hundred years ago. There is a large maple tree which shades the entire front yard through a significant portion of the day. It dictated what plants to consider.

No watering.
msolga

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:49 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The garden is based on what grew in the understory of forests in Ontario a couple of hundred years ago. There is a large maple tree which shades the entire front yard through a significant portion of the day. It dictated what plants to consider.

That sounds wonderful, EhBeth.
And what a bonus ... no watering!

Makes me think I should do something similar (based on local natives) in my own front yard, one of these days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:54 am
@ehBeth,
I stopped designing "lawns" the second I got away from dealing with housing tracts and city mandates about them. Many housing areas are designed communities held to standards you sign on to when you buy a house there; some of these communities are gated. When I first learned about some of the rules, I was floored by them, but it seems many of the people who like these places like them not in spite of the rules but because of them.

To amend, I've primarily spent my design life in semi arid or arid places and lawns are generally stupid there. But - I'm not against a bit of lawn in some situations, as play areas. In rain washed country, I'm less opposed to lawns.

On veggies in the front yard, fine with me. There are ways to do it and have the yard still look good all year. I'd bet the person the article is about wasn't very good at that, but maybe my guess is wrong. The city, on the other hand, seems at least a few decades behind the times.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:32 am
@raprap,
In the hemp museum in Amsterdam, you can buy industrial hemp seeds with a certificate permitting you to grow them in the EU. They must be grown outside, the whole things too expensive though, fifty euros a pop.

I thought it would be fun to wind up the police, but fifty euros is a bit much, and they'd probably get nicked before the police turned up anyway. They look just like the plants that get you high, but they're only any good for rope, paper etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 02:09 am
@Ceili,
Heh! I've seen areas where nobody even knew about the junked cars - till they mowed the 'lawn'.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:17 pm
@djjd62,
Just heard through my FB Guerilla Gardening connection that the charges were dropped.

edit

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/oak-park-drops-charges-against-julie-bass-and-her-vegetable-garden_20110714_dk
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 03:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Sanity prevails on occasion..
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 03:31 pm
@ossobuco,
sanity and a really active FB campaign to contact the municipal officials involved
djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:06 pm
@ehBeth,
amazing what some bad international press can accomplish
0 Replies