Yet another swimming pool thread

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:55 pm
ok, but this time I have a question.

I love going to the pool, but I'm a very poor swimmer. I don't care, I enjoy just moving around kicking at the side of the pool, doing quick doggie paddles the short way across (all the while making sure I don't venture past where the water is 5'.

When it's not crowded, I'll paddle up the long side, keeping close to the side.

The problem is, I am a total spaz if I get water up my nose. Nevermind the fact that I use my neti pot with no problems, if the water gets up my nose, I'll start thrashing and grasping, making a complete ass of myself. No, I don't want to use nose plugs.
So, if I'm paddling up the deep end, by the side of the pool, and someone else is there, I'm screwed. I honestly cannot get up the courage to manuver around someone, fearful I'll get bumped by someone, which would send me into a tailspin for sure.

I'm not such a dork (almost, but not quite) that I would go out and buy some Hello Kitty Floaties (besides, you're not allowed in the deep end wearing floaties...at least the little kids aren't). I've looked online, and any waist or wrist floatation devices all look unwieldy.

I need just a teeny little bit support, just a little.

I'm trying to figure out how to make my own belt or wrist thing. Not getting involved in sewing or anything.
What's a light weight material that floats, that I could attach velcro to?

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:06 pm
@chai2,
Styrofoam? Hmm, I bet it would get waterlogged. At the pool I go to, they have kick boards. Not exactly what you're looking for, but I bet the pool would allow it.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:15 pm
@jespah,
ok yeah, they allow kickboards.
I want something attached to my body, so I don't have to be grasping it.
Sometimes I like to just totally relax, and let all my muscles go.

styrofoam is so stiff.

I'm going to stop by a sporting goods place on the way home, but I've casually looked before, with no results.

I think it's strange that there's options for kids, but not for adults.
Options that don't scream out "LOOK! I'M WEARING AN ORANGE SAFETY VEST!"

There's lots of adults that can swim, but just aren't the best at it.

At this stage of the game, I'm not going to get any better.

heh...I saw this thing called a "floatie suit" for little kids. I need something like that.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:31 pm
@chai2,
I used to be you regarding all this. You know the best answer without my saying, which is to take serious swimming lessons. Which I did at thirty seven. It took me 4 sets of lessons, that is a full year, to swim a mile smooth as, well, a dolphin or some such, maybe a tuna? but much less time to lose that freakout mode if I was bumped at, say, 5 foot water height while practicing. I also caught on after x amount of lessons to enjoy the whole bit of breathing while doing the crawl - it was a surprise how much I liked it after years of jerky gasping clumsy water up nose stuff. Once you breathe right, that stuff isn't usual. After I made it one pool length (75 feet), the rest was gravy. Well, not gravy, but graded increases in lengths I could do. A lot of that learning time was spent in the lane by the edge, so if in the beginning I thought I might just die right there at, say, 40 feet along, the side was grabable. The key was that my teacher was just plain fabulous, a very smooth swimmer herself.

Given you might not want lessons since you already do other exercise stuff, how about just learning to tread water easily. That one was harder for me than learning the crawl, and I was never your relaxed treader, though not miserable at floating. Most other humans are better at treading than I am, and you probably are too.

So, no answer re some device to wear. Lessons. You can do hot yoga, can't you? You can learn basic pool breathing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:35 pm
@chai2,
Look for things labeled as swimming pool exercise/aerobics accessories. That's where you'll find the adult version of things that don't draw attention to you.

For example:

Pool Exercise Fitness Trainer Belt

http://www.toysplash.com/images/products/101618_L.jpg

Jogger belts

http://www.toysplash.com/images/products/101114_l.jpg

and water noodles

http://www.toysplash.com/images/products/181398_l.jpg

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Read the review on this one. It sounds like just what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Hydro-Resistant-Jog-Belt/dp/B001237A66/ref=pd_sbs_sg_6

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OKC-UpDNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
If you're allowed to take pool noodles (most $ stores sell them here) into the pool, they can be a lot of fun to recline into. I do think it helps to have some basic swimming ability so you're relaxed when you're leaning back. If you're tense, the pool noodle can be a little tricky.

They're also fun to race on - used to be my favourite part of advanced aquafit years ago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to make my own belt or wrist thing. Not getting involved in sewing or anything.
What's a light weight material that floats, that I could attach velcro to?

please don't do this. It has potential to create a really dangerous situation for you - if you think something is offering support, but it's attached by velcro (which doesn't really stand up to a lot of stress)
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:38 pm
@ehBeth,
hmmm...I'm not so much looking for support, but little bit of extra buoyancy.

Maybe I'm making myself out to be worse than I am. I don't thrash about getting from point A to point B, I just don't do well not having the security of a wall near me. Looking more for, I don't know how to express it I guess, something that would provide just the minimum of extra lift. I don't do much laying about in the pool, just like to do it sometimes right before I'm going to leave, and only when there's not many people around.

The bottom line is, I have a life long fear of water. I especially don't like being with other people I know in the water with me. They are the one's who playfully reach out and grab your arm or leg, and that freaks me out. I'm comfortable in it when it's on my terms. I'm very familiar with those terms, and don't go outside of them.
I had beaukoodles of well meaning people try to "teach me" to swim while I was a child. People who knew what they were doing.

I finally taught myself to swim when I was 16, when I had access to a friend of the families pool, while they were gone all summer. I taught myself while I was all alone, at my own pace, and my own way. I'm comfortable with my way of dealing and relaxing in a container of water. Just wondering if anyone knew of something that could be used as a small assist.

btrfly, I've already checked out all those type things on the net. Way excessive.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:39 pm
@chai2,
Water noodles suck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:59 pm
@chai2,
Would this work?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GKIuS30vL._AA300_.jpg

It seems to be a little thing; click on the pic to get to Amazon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:29 pm
@chai2,
Maybe a little foam rubber tucked into the top of the swimsuit? Twisted Evil

Seriously, I don't like flotation at the waist level. It's your head that needs to be above water, not your feet.
Reyn

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:46 pm
I'm sure this would work very well and put lots of air in your system, as well as being nuitritious. Plus, the added bonus of being able to power yourself in the pool with little effort.

http://www.floridavillahomes.com/!shoppingcart/htdocs/images/beans.jpg

I hope I've been as helpful as those who posted before me. Smile
roger

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:49 pm
@Reyn,
I look for both our posts to be disappeared.
roger

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:50 pm
@roger,
not that there's anything wrong with that
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:49 pm
What about falsies? I'm sure they're buoyant and not obvious unless you got something like a size 52 EEEEE.
roger

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:14 pm
@Diane,
I just said that - in a round about kind of way.
Ceili

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 08:35 pm
This might sound dumb.. I did a ton of swimming when I was young. Competitive swimming and diving. I'm ok in a pool, but I absolutely hate swimming in large bodies of water. It freaks me out. Ya know sharks and other stuff..
None the less, what helps me is, as weird as this sounds, resting my arms over a noodle and wearing something I can see underwater with, like goggles or a mask, sometimes a snorkle. I don't mind getting my face wet then and I can see what's coming.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:09 pm
@roger,
Sorry, dear Rat. Naturally you would reply in a round about, rubbery way--what would you know from falsies?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:12 pm
@roger,
Yikes! I knew something was wrong when I called you Rat. Now you are the pessimistic, but lovable, Eeyore.