Is Swimming Good Exercise?

Tue 6 May, 2014 05:42 am
Is Swimming best exercise to slim down? If so then how much time should i spent in water?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,950 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Tue 6 May, 2014 05:54 am
@GarrettHnatiuk,
Swimming is an excellent cardiovascular exercise but it does not have as much of a slimming effect as other types of exercise such as running or brisk walking. An exercise regimen where your both your arms and legs are being used (for example, rowing) could be more effective at weight loss.

The amount of time you spend in the water and your efficiency is all relative and is related to the amount of time you actually swim and the intensity level at which you apply yourself.
dalehileman

Tue 6 May, 2014 10:05 am
@GarrettHnatiuk,
It's easier on the back than many other kinds of exercise. An hour a day in the summertime over the past 16 years has stretched my longevity
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 6 May, 2014 10:18 am
@Ragman,
Swimming also provides less calorie-burning benefits because your joints aren't weight-bearing. That downside is an upside for people with joint problems or mobility issues, of course.
GarrettHnatiuk

Wed 7 May, 2014 05:22 am
@jespah,
Thanks Guys that's really helpful
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 7 May, 2014 06:53 am
@GarrettHnatiuk,
It works quite well for trimming and re-shaping the body in conjunction with a good diet program.

You need to exercise AND diet to lose weight.

I've found swimming one of the best exercises for women who want to have trim, shapely legs. A lot of exercises that involve more weight-bearing on the legs can create a more muscular look than some of us like.

You definitely need to mix up the strokes and styles to get the best result. At one point I was swimming a mile 5 nights a week, in addition to other exercise. I found that when I did at least a quarter mile of leg-only lengths, I got really spectacular results (or so I was told Wink )
ehBeth

Wed 7 May, 2014 06:56 am
@ehBeth,
also - for women in particular - the back stroke is a really good natural boob lift - the muscles below the breast get a good workout from the back stroke and the results are usually noticeable after about 2 weeks of 3 - 4 swims a week - with at least 16 lengths of a 25 metre pool of back stroke
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:24 am
@GarrettHnatiuk,
Best exrcise period. Exercises every muscle without the impact harm as with running.

My rule swimming pretty much daily is when I have to pee, that's long enough. Smile
0 Replies

AmirMarashi

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 04:40 am
@GarrettHnatiuk,
No other workout burns calories, boosts metabolism, and firms every muscle in your body (without putting stress on your joints) better than a swimming workout. The body-shaping benefits of swimming workouts are the result of a perfect storm of calorie burn and muscle recruitment. An easy swim burns around 500 calories an hour, while a vigorous effort can torch almost 700. Swimming is one of the best forms of cardiovascular exercise because it works the entire body, but also provides a low-impact form of exercise.
According to the American Heart Association, 30 to 60 minutes of swimming 4 to 6 days a week can help individuals both lose weight and reduce health risks such as stoke, diabetes and heart disease.
Combined with a healthy, well-balanced diet, individuals who commit themselves to a regular swimming routine should be able to lose weight. With that goal in mind, spending 60 minutes a day, 4 to 6 days a week in the pool should yield results.
0 Replies

antarpuneetsingh

Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:37 am
Actually it is not a best exercise for slim down but it is quite good exercise
you can try cardio for slip down and if possible gym would be better
0 Replies

chirchri

Thu 25 May, 2017 08:05 pm
Basically , though i am a noob
0 Replies

chirchri

Thu 25 May, 2017 08:10 pm
Swimming is amazing for your body. As someone else has already mentioned, if you are newer to the fitness game, it will help you in building muscle while taking it easy on your body at the same time.
0 Replies

jonnysins1885

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 04:44 am
Yes, Swimming is a good exercise because there are a lot of benefits of swimming likes it keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body. builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness. Also, it provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.
0 Replies