Swimming in the Charles River revived

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 08:30 pm
Fully sanctioned swimming in a river that has been described as a sewer extension since the 1950s resumed Saturday. Full story here.

http://c.o0bc.com/rf/image_609w/Boston/2011-2020/2013/07/13/Boston.com/Metro/Images/tlumacki_swimmersonthecharles_metro581-001.jpg

Old non-Bostonian Abuzz hands will be gratified to learn that the swimming spot is near the Hatch Shell. Laughing

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 09:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Swimming in the Charles River, like playing in the street, is something generations of
Boston children have been taught will lead to no good. At the very least, to a tetanus shot.

But since 1995, when the EPA gave the water quality a grade of D, the health of the river
has improved dramatically, rising to a B in 2011, and now meeting the state standards for
swimming most days of the summer. The bottom of the river remains a toxic mess, but if
a swimmer can get in and out of the water without touching the squishy bottom, no tetanus
shot is necessary.
i love that dirty water, but i sure as hell ain't going swimming in it...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
Me neither. I learned how to handle a sailboat on that water and was so happy that I never fell overboard. It was one of my major fears, wearing life-vest and everything.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 06:22 am
Went in a couple of times canoe-racing.
Fortunately, my tetanus shots were up-to-date.

Going canoeing on the Mystic this afternoon.
My plan is to keep the boat upright.
Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 08:03 am
@George,
I walked on top of it one time but I never even felt religious.
roger

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:37 am
@Region Philbis,
But, how do you enter a river without touching the bottom? Hot air balloon, I suppose, but it sure sounds awkward.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:38 am
We probably eat and drink the same stuff in our recycled water and processed food every day.
Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Not quite. Exposure to sewage, quantities of heavy metals and chemical by-products at this level is a lot more risky. If you could see pictures of the bottom...well, you couldn't see. Jimmy Hoffa is there in pieces.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:05 pm
Reminds me of a Coleridge poem about the Rhine;

[ln Koln, a town of monks and bones,
And pavements fang'd with murderous stones
And rags, and hags, and hideous wenches ;
I counted two and seventy stenches,
All well defined, and several stinks !
Ye Nymphs that reign o'er sewers and sinks,
The river Rhine, it is well known,
Doth wash your city of Cologne ;
But tell me, Nymphs, what power divine
Shall henceforth wash the river Rhine
[/quote]
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:26 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I walked on top of it one time but I never even felt religious.

So did I one winter back in the mid-1950s when the ice was solid. I actually walked all the way across from Boston to Cambridge. There was a Cambridge cop standing on the far bank, having something akin to apoplexy. He took my name and address and gave me a stern lecture on risking my life that way but apparently couldn't think of any laws I might have violated. So he let me go.
0 Replies