whats the point of war?

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:04 pm
what good came from war?
besides ending slavery and stopping hitler.

VALTUI

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 02:44 pm
@hamilton,
I believe the main reason men go to war is to kill boredom. Once a civilization has achieved plenty to eat and warm and safe shelter, they start looking around for something to pass their time with. They start singing and dancing and painting pictures, we call all this "Culture and Art". Then there are those who can't seem to obtain enough pleasure and thrill from ordinary art and music, so they invent religion and politics. This all leads to furious arguing and fighting and finally to all out war. Once Men get a taste for killing and pillaging, they cannot stop very easily. Women now have heros for husbands and children have heros as fathers; all this adds spice and excitement to otherwise drab lives.

The problem is not War; it is Boredom.

The men currantly fighting in the heat and dust of the desserts in Iraq and Afganistan are enduring all this misery for good reason. They are all in it for the excitement of it. There is no draft. Nobody is forcing anybody to go over there. They go willing. They go for the pleasure of shooting their guns. Their greatest pleasure is simply watching their asssigned enemy's slow and painful demise. No greater joy is there than victory. This is the sad TRUTH of war !
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:14 pm
@VALTUI,
You know what Tolstoy wanted as the original title of War and PEace?
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:16 pm
@farmerman,
Boredom and Contentment Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:21 pm
The sort of humans that lead are territorial and grasping. If you want to avoid war, get true statesmen for leaders.
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:23 pm
@hamilton,
whats the point of war?

a wise man once said

War! Huh
Good God Now
What Is It Good For
Absolutely Nothing

Say It Again
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:31 pm
"War is the failure of politics."---not my quote

Rap
hamilton

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:53 pm
@raprap,
or a success in some cases...
but i cant think of any...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
That is not right. Great statesmen don't avoid war. Quite the contrary, most of the great Statesmen, from Lincoln to Churchill to Washington led us into war.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:01 pm
War is behind countless human advancements from the music and mathematics to nuclear power, war has spurred us to great acts and new development.

War is what separates us from the animals. Sure, there are social insects that will attack other groups for food or resources, but man is the only species that can fight for justice or ideas. And without war, justice is impossible and ideas are meaningless

Democracy was born of war, without war our country would have never existed or survived. We not unique in this, all Great civilizations rise and fall with war. War builds fortunes, provides heroes and drives economies. It informs our identities and provides us with the drive toward excellence.

Without war, we wouldn't be human.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:03 pm
@raprap,
Politics is the failure of war. (my quote)
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:29 pm
@hamilton,
Quote:
what good came from war?

Better :
- metal
- radars
- explosives
- vehicles
- planes

Pre war there is :
- employment
- economics / profits
- existance of townships
- upgraded civil facilities (certain roads, ports, airfields etc)

Dubious in their 'goodness' is:
- acquired resources
- fear on the part of aggressors
- politics backed by military means

Possibles are :
- Giving a country a sense of purpose / identity / outlet for anger&fear

Economics are a driving force behind many wars. Sometimes other factors enter the equation.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:42 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

what good came from war?

You did list some things that war ended that I did not think of but it would be better if we did not have to go to war in order to have paradigm shifts in the mores of society.
I seen a good video that shows how we are so much like other apes but I am not able to find it at the moment but from what I seen other apes go into their neighboring territories and kill off the other males so I would think that wars are because of the animal in us!
I am not sure if that wold be considered to be what the point of war is but it does seem to be what apes do at times!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 06:00 am
@hamilton,
Without war, great nations like United States, Israel, Australia and Mexico wouldn't exist.

All of the major religions depended on war. Without war Christianity couldn't have become significant. If it existed it would be a small tribal sect of Judaism. But, of course, without war Judaism wouldn't exist.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:13 am
I believe war reflects that countries will not disarm, since the belief is that there are enemies that would invade and exploit/enslave the conquered nation. By having a military, a nation needs to offer the military the chance to utilize their expertise, or there might be the possibility of a military that decides to expand its hegemony. So, a war allows a military to not think it is just training for no reason. And, the industries, that supply a military, profit also.

There is also a theory that wars allow older men to romance younger women, since the younger men are off fighting a war.

A war also serves the sociological purpose of uniting a population that might have been somewhat diverse, and somewhat alienated from other groups within the country. Nothing like an external enemy to unite a country. Ask the Middle Eastern Arabs.

All in all, war may be a necessary evil, in a world where all humans are not on the same page, so to speak.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:55 am
I can't believe this loopy thread has been tagged history. There's about as much reliable history in this thread as there is in an episode of Gunsmoke.
hamilton

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:57 am
@Setanta,
thankyou for describing my thread as loopy. as always, you find a way (not necessarily intentionally) make me feel bad about myself. i am sure that whoever tagged this thread history will remove it.
Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:59 am
@hamilton,
If you didn't tag the thread "history," you have nothing to feel bad about. Even if you did tag the thread "history," you have nothing to feel bad about. I don't "make" you feel anything.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:59 am
@hamilton,
Quote:
whats the point of war?
control & domination; sometimes exploitation
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

In addition to stopping Hitler,
we also stopped communist slavery.