Is There A Good Reason to NOT Obliterate Pyongyang With Nukes Right Now?

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:02 am
the idiots have restarted the war, we would end a 80 year old problem, and it would be a shot across the bow to China...ie win/win/win.

what is there a counter argument?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 7,943 • Replies: 47

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:42 am
@hawkeye10,
* To become for the second time in history, the only country ever to use nuclear weapons in a conflict, and to do so without direct and obvious provocation (probably resulting in a bad precedent for future trust).
* And to do so in China's "back yard" on the eve of the century in which they are poised to become the dominant economic and military force on the planet (soon to become either a powerful ally to us or a terrible enemy). The epitome of poor strategic thinking of monumental proportions.
* Oh, and that little problem of Millions of dead (and innocent) civilians

Nuclear weapons should be a truly last resort, and a response to a direct and immediate necessity for our own survival. They should not be a knee-jerk reaction to a loud mouthed unstable dictator of an impoverished plot of asian jungle.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:46 am
@hawkeye10,
http://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/11053/445172/f/4367612-Family-posing-for-a-photo-to-a-fellow-foreigner--Mangyongdae-Fun-Fair-near-Pyongyang-North-Korea-1.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 09:51 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the idiots have restarted the war,

First of all I'd like to reiterate what Ros said.

Second, they've not restarted anything other than a load of rhetoric.

If they want to start a real war they'll face the consequences, if not let them shout. Fatboy is looking more ridiculous every day, turning him into a martyr would be a grave error.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes there is a good reason not to use nukes. And, in my opinion, that is because there would be no good reason to explain why they were used, after they were used. Meaning, the need to justify its use, after the fact, would sound lame, since we could not use the reasons that made its use in WWII valid, i.e., saving millions of lives on both sides if the war continued. The U.S. would appear like a Hollywood version of a trigger happy drunk cowboy, back from a cattle drive, in my opinion. A very bad image to give to a world that within a hundred years might be as advanced as the west. Or, how ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Your inference that they should be used, if I am not misconstruing your thread title, makes me wonder if you have some sort of impacted fecal matter, and need a good laxative to feel right with the world again? Just a little scatalogical humor, if you don't mind.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:02 pm
@Foofie,
I think that we should end the problem for good now, before they can hit us with nukes. I am also open to the idea that a few million dead is not a deal breaker. Using nukes here has a weaker argument than we had with japan...I agree with this.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, he had a well stated post going till the very end.

Quote:
Your inference that they should be used, if I am not misconstruing your thread title, makes me wonder if you have some sort of impacted fecal matter, and need a good laxative to feel right with the world again? Just a little scatalogical humor, if you don't mind.

We have to conclude that anyone disagreeing with foof must be constipated. Why else would anyone not immediately accept the argument?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye says:
Quote:
I am also open to the idea that a few million dead is not a deal breaker.

Puts you right up there with Hitler, doesn't it, hawk?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am also open to the idea that a few million dead is not a deal breaker.

given what China could do to the U.S. in response, that's a very generous way to think about your fellow citizens' lives
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 06:06 pm
@ehBeth,
The North Koreans are a pain in the ass for the Chinese....I think they would sign off on unification. Death to get there maybe not.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 06:14 pm
@ehBeth,
I really think there is a lot of difference between what China could do, and what China would do. They might indeed go to war over the South China Sea, but I'm not sure how highly they value North Korea. It's (their reaction) is certainly something to consider, but I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions right now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 06:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Reason, compassion, good sense and long term self-preservation.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:39 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Reason, compassion, good sense and long term self-preservation.

Hitler...stalin...mao..pol pot.......had they been confronted with a hefty price for failure to conform to nearly universal human values more would have lived. Your arguement does not hunt. Maybe we have been too easy for too long, maybe this is where a lesson needs to be delivered, for the good of all the human race, now and for thoswe to come.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 04:16 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The North Koreans are a pain in the ass for the Chinese....I think they would sign off on unification. Death to get there maybe not.

Any attack on North Korea would just be a pretext for an attack on China and Russia.

America has a long history of putting down in the most brutal way imaginable. Vietnam, Iraq, Nicaragua are all testament to America's genocidal fantasies.

As a matter of survival Ruissia and China must respond with a coordinated all out nuclear strike. The threat must be eliminated, all targets must be hit.

FBM

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Any attack on North Korea would just be a pretext for an attack on China and Russia...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/images1.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:33 am
@FBM,
Am I bothered?

It's clear you don't understand when someone takes the role of devil's advocate.

I bet a lot of people in Russia and China would agree with what I posted earlier. I don't think a nuclear strike on North Korea is worth the risk.
FBM

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Am I bothered?

It's clear you don't understand when someone takes the role of devil's advocate.

I bet a lot of people in Russia and China would agree with what I posted earlier. I don't think a nuclear strike on North Korea is worth the risk.

If you take up a devil's advocate's position, it's reasonable to expect replies to that position. I have no idea what you personally believe.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:37 am
@FBM,
You have no idea full stop.
FBM

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:41 am
@izzythepush,
And this is supposed to be taken as a rational response? Laughing
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:43 am
@FBM,
It's the best you're going to get.