Your Quote of the Day

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“Journalists were never intended to be the cheerleaders of a society, the conductors of applause, the sycophants. Tragically, that is their assigned role in authoritarian societies, but not here -- not yet.”
Chet Huntley

Mr Huntley is a sentimental old nostalgic bozo if he thinks that. He must have seen too many Henry Fonda movies.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“People have the illusion that all over the world, all the time, all kinds of fantastic things are happening. When in fact, over most of the world, most of the time, nothing is happening.”
David Brinkley

Somebody ought to inform Mr Brinkley that nothing is never happening.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@spendius,
This is from years ago. He is long dead.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:39 pm
@spendius,
It's scary that a guy like Huntley was that deluded.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:29 am
TEA PARTY

1."There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design." – Michele Bachmann
2."You know what, evolution is a myth….Why aren't monkeys still evolving into humans?" - Christine O’Donnell
3.''I absolutely do not believe in the science of man-caused climate change. It's not proven by any stretch of the imagination...It's far more likely that it's just sunspot activity or just something in the geologic eons of time. Excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere 'gets sucked down by trees and helps the trees grow.''' - Ron Johnson
4.'They [Republicans] say, 'You're too conservative.' Was Thomas Jefferson too conservative? I'm tired of some people calling me wacky.” - Sharron Angle
5."American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains." - Christine O'Donnell
6.''Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn't it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate.''- Sarah Palin
7.''Do you know, where does this phrase 'separation of church and state' come from? It was not in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists. ... The exact phrase 'separation of Church and State' came out of Adolph Hitler's mouth, that's where it comes from. So the next time your liberal friends talk about the separation of Church and State, ask them why they're Nazis.'' - Glen Urquhart
8.''The greatest threat to America is not necessarily a recession or even another terrorist attack. The greatest threat to America is a liberal media bias.'' - Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX)
9."People ask me, 'What are you going to do to develop jobs in your state?' Well, that's not my job as a U.S. senator." - Sharron Angle
10.''I'm not a witch...I'm you.'' – Christine O’Donnell
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 06:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
8.''The greatest threat to America is not necessarily a recession or even another terrorist attack. The greatest threat to America is a liberal media bias.'' - Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX)

I'll agree with that.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:09 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I'll agree with that.

Didn't think you were that much of a fool, Spendi.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm surprised there are people who disagree with the proposition. I assume they have a partisan interest. And when a partisan refers to opposition as fools every intelligent person knows who the fool is.

What threat to America is a terrorist attack? America has gone through a number of recessions and emerged stronger.

But a liberal media is a threat of a far greater magnitude. Of a whole other order.

Benjamin Franklin had said that the word "liberal" be struck out when Mr Madison had suggested it because it could be reinterpreted at any time and there was a "tendency to abuses. . . to grow of themselves when once begun".

I suspect you once helped to sell in the streets flattened out woodpulp in with ink inserts. There can be no other explanation for you thinking a gratuitous insult answers the case.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:20 pm
I guarantee there is no liberal bias on American TV news. I get sick watching the pap and have to turn it off every time I tune it in.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think Fox News is as liberal as a knitting break in the Grauniad Feechewers rest room.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:56 pm
@spendius,
Your definition of liberal is confusing, spendi. No liberal I could name thinks of Fox as liberal.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
That shows how unobservant your liberals are. Or how devious. It's a Murdoch satellite and we all know he has made a fortune pandering to the uninstructed plebians.

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@spendius,
The "un-reflecting multitude" was Mr Madison's phrase.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:22 pm
@spendius,
I don't think he was talking about admiring your own reflection, spendi...
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Spendi is using a 19th century definition of "liberal", quite different from what we mean by the word today. By that definition, the peole we call neo-Cons are the most liberal of "liberals."
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
He's certainly not grounded in 21ST Century use of the term.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well-- a reasonable test is whether you think women's weightlifting and boxing are acceptable.

Or whether you think science has rendered sport into a vehicle for media people to run amok and the Olympic Games into a chemical farce. What's the 21st century definition of sport?

The economic use of liberal is anachronistic. Liberal is the lower middle class. The Chattering Class. The Paperwork Party. The **** Stirrers. The Nanny. The dinner-party set. The DIY Brigade. The Uroborus.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:15 pm
@spendius,
As I have suggested Spendi, your definition of 'liberal' in 21st century terms is...uh...unique.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's the charitable response to make.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
"...with malice toward none, with charity for all..."

Didn't some great American use those words?