Your Quote of the Day

spendius

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:46 pm
@JTT,
Sharp intakes of air through clenched teeth with narrowed eyes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 01:34 am
... Let’s talk about sex. Let’s talk about women. Freud said he didn’t know what women wanted. I know what women want. They want a whole lot of people to talk to. What do they want to talk about? They want to talk about everything.

What do men want? They want a lot of pals, and they wish people wouldn’t get so mad at them.

~ Kurt Vonnegut
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 08:54 am
“However stupid a fools words may be, they are sometimes enough to confound an intelligent man.”
― Nikolai Gogol, Dead Souls
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 11:39 am
@edgarblythe,
"Can we all just get along?" by Rodney King
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 05:26 am
“With man it is different. When he comes many of the larger animals instinctively leave the district entirely, seldom if ever to return; and thus it has always been with the great anthropoids. They flee man as man flees a pestilence.”
― Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan of the Apes
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Romney and Obama now spend as much time persuading rich people for money as ordinary people for their vote.

Gary Younge. (In today's Guardian)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:11 pm
Confucius once said that a bear could not fart at the North Pole without causing a big wind in Chicago.
By this he meant that all events, therefore, all men, are interconnected in an unbreakable web. What man does, no matter how seemingly insignificant, vibrates through the strands and affects every man.

— Philip José Farmer
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
One of the dumbest remarks that the otherwise quite knowledgeable Farmer could possibly have made. At thetime of Kung-Fu-Tzu (Confucius) there was no such place as Chicago nor would anybody have known anything about the existence of the North Pole. The sentiment of interconnectedness is valid and would be better expressed by such sentiments as "the vibration of a butterfly's wings in the Amazon rain forest causes tornadoes in Texas." Philip Jose Farmer has written some very fine novels but that quote should have been ****-canned along with the rough draft of one of them.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 08:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
He has written some pretty silly stuff. In the last novel I read by him, Sherlock Holmes did the dance bees do and they understood it and did whatever he was trying to get them to do.

But, behind the silliness of my quote, he makes a good point. His 'poetic license' was lame, certainly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:25 am
It is hard to find more than a couple of Erskine Caldwell quotes, but I see why. Taken out of context, he would probably appear to spread racism, although understanding of the people of the south was his real aim.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:22 pm
“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.”
― Seth Grahame-Smith, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 05:13 am
“I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Letty

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, did Winston's pigs fly? Razz

"..nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it..."

said about the first thane of cawdor in Shakespeare's MacBeth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:58 pm
Pigs is people too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 07:53 pm
“I have always found women difficult. I don't really understand them. To begin with, few women tell the truth.”
Barbara Cartland

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:15 am
“Whipped cream isn't whipped cream at all if it hasnt been whipped with whips, just like poached eggs isn't poached eggs unless it's been stolen in the dead of the night.”
― Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:04 am
Have convictions. Be friendly. Stick to your beliefs as they stick to theirs. Work as hard as they do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:42 pm
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Maya Angelou

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 05:25 am
“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
Irishk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:12 am
@edgarblythe,
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." ~ Henry Ford
0 Replies