Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 07:28 pm
It is just as important that business keep out of government as that government keep out of business”
Herbert Hoover

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 05:13 am
If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.
Johnny Carson
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 05:38 am
“Life’s tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.”

- Benjamin Franklin
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 06:54 am

Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.
~ Phyllis Diller
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 05:09 am
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private school, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate.”
Ulysses S. Grant

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 05:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Amen Ed!.

The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life. — Sigmund Freud
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:35 pm
•"The fair girl went on her knees and bent over me, fairly gloating. There was a deliberate voluptuousness which was both thrilling and repulsive, and as she arched her neck she actually licked her lips like an animal... I could feel the soft, shivering touch of the lips on the supersensitive skin of my throat, and the hard dents of two sharp teeth, just touching and pausing there."
- Bram Stoker, Chapter 3, Dracula

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Today, We arrived at an accident where a farmer, crossing a road from field to field, had turned his tractor and had his leg pinned under the draw bar and the draw bar couldnt be moved or couldnt be lifted without hydraulics.
When we arrived there was a woman and a gy who had a cell phone and I called to whether anyone had called 911 yet.
"I dont know the 911 number around here. Im from Maryland" the woman said

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:20 pm
@farmerman,
I absolutely believe it.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:02 am
"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
Steven Weinberg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 07:51 am
The forceps of our minds are clumsy forceps, and crush the truth a little in taking hold of it.”
― H.G. Wells
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:42 am
The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.”
Arnold Toynbee

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 06:39 pm
Mr. Duffy lived a short distance from his body.”
― James Joyce, Dubliners
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:56 am
“The bluebird carries the sky on his back.” ~Henry David Thoreau
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:09 pm
In 1883, Sitting Bull was a guest of honor at the opening ceremonies for the Northern Pacific Railroad. When it was his turn to speak, he said in the Lakota language, "I hate all white people. You are thieves and liars. You have taken away our land and made us outcasts." A quick-thinking interpreter told the crowd the chief was happy to be there and that he looked forward to peace and prosperity with the white people. Sitting Bull received a standing ovation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 05:26 am
Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.”
― Frederick Douglass
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 05:34 am
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
~ Mahatma Gandhi
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:59 am
"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."
Thomas Jefferson

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked out that way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 06:49 pm
It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
Alfred Adler
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 05:21 pm
"Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."
Gene Roddenberry

"Live long and prosper."
Spock
0 Replies