Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:29 am
“The Senator did not know who owned the jet, nor had he ever met Mr. Trudeau, which in most cultures would seem odd since Rudd had taken so much money from the man. But in Washington, money arrives through a myriad of strange and nebulous conduits. Often those taking it have only a vague idea of where it's coming from; often they have no clue. In most democracies, the transference of so much cash would be considered outright corruption, but in Washington the corruption has been legalized. Senator Rudd didn't know and didn't care that he was owned by other people.”
― John Grisham, The Appeal
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@edgarblythe,
The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.

Patrick Henry
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:53 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The happiest moment of my year is about three hours before the first race at Cheltenham on Tuesday; queuing behind Alan Brazil for my, but not his, first pint of Guinness of the meeting.

Charlie Brooks, old Etonian friend of David Cameron, and husband of ex News International Seo Rebecca Brooks, writing in the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/cheltenham-festival/9137105/Cheltenham-Festival-2012-this-meeting-is-a-war-of-attrition-on-many-fronts.html

Charlie didn't in fact go Cheltenham after all, he spent 12 hours being questioned by police about conspiring to pervert the course of justice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 09:26 pm
"Morning, ya'll. I got started this morning right with a biscuit and some cheesy grits."
Mitt Romney
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 05:42 am
I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston's freeways
- Car racing
legend A.J. Foyt
neko nomad

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 06:12 am
@edgarblythe,
No argument Ed; been there .

For some reason this quotation comes to
mind while watching Afghanistan from the comfort of my breakfast table:

"As you know, you go to war with the army you have,
not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time." -- Donald Rumsfeld

(Memo to the current Secretary of Defense: Donald said it first, Mr. Panetta.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:13 am
"In framing a system which we wish to last for ages, we should not lose sight of the changes which ages will produce."
--James Madison, The Constitutional Convention, Philadelphia, June 26, 1787
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:45 pm
@wandeljw,
Smart man, Madison, which is why I named my doggies Dolly and Madison in his name.

BBB
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:30 pm
@wandeljw,
So much for Scalia's nonsense.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:28 am
Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch Quotes

"The windows of the soul are infinite, we are told. And it is through the eyes of the soul that paradise is visioned. If there are flaws in your paradise, open more windows!" (Part 1, The Oranges of the Millennium, pg. 25.)
- Henry Miller
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:59 am
Basically there is no difference between whites and blacks, browns and yellows. I decided to think no more of people as Northerners and Southerners.
Ethyl Waters
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:29 am
Brain : "I shall pollute the water supply with this DNAdefibuliser, turning everyone into mindless slaves."
Pinky : "What about the people who drink bottled water?"
Brain : "Pinky, people who pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water are already mindless slaves."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 05:28 am
The First 80 Years Are the Hardest.”
Carol Channing

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
An English man does not travel to see English men.
Laurence Sterne
jcboy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Homer, I'm afraid this is the part of God's perfect plan where... you're murdered by robots." - Ned Flanders
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 07:13 pm
@jcboy,
Razz Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 05:35 am
There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. Sam Peckinpah
Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:00 am
@edgarblythe,

And what comedian designer configured the region between our legs-an entertainment complex built around a sewage system?- Neil deGrasse Tyson

...from his book Death By Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:14 am
What is absurd and monstrous about war is that men who have no personal quarrel should be trained to murder one another in cold blood.
~Aldous Huxley
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 05:07 am
“On the meridian of time, there is no injustice: there is only the poetry of motion creating the illusion of truth and drama.”
― Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer
0 Replies