169

Your Quote of the Day

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2023 06:54 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

When the Washington Post asked Trump’s campaign for comment on claims that his “vermin” language echoed fascist rhetoric, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung responded like this: “Those who try to make that ridiculous assertion are clearly snowflakes grasping for anything because they are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome and their entire existence will be crushed when President Trump returns to the White House,” Cheung told the Post.

That sounds like, "Yes, it is."

It most certainly does!

If that is the best response Cheung could give, he should not be a spokesman for anyone.

coluber2001

2  
Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2023 10:40 am
William Shatner

“Last year, I had a life-changing experience at 90 years old. I went to space, after decades of playing an iconic science-fiction character who was exploring the universe. I thought I would experience a deep connection with the immensity around us, a deep call for endless exploration.

I was absolutely wrong. The strongest feeling, that dominated everything else by far, was the deepest grief that I had ever experienced.

I understood, in the clearest possible way, that we were living on a tiny oasis of life, surrounded by an immensity of death. I didn’t see infinite possibilities of worlds to explore, of adventures to have, or living creatures to connect with. I saw the deepest darkness I could have ever imagined, contrasting so starkly with the welcoming warmth of our nurturing home planet.

This was an immensely powerful awakening for me. It filled me with sadness. I realized that we had spent decades, if not centuries, being obsessed with looking away, with looking outside. I did my share in popularizing the idea that space was the final frontier. But I had to get to space to understand that Earth is and will stay our only home. And that we have been ravaging it, relentlessly, making it uninhabitable."

~ William Shatner, 2022

coluber2001

1  
Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2023 11:07 am
"The stakes are things like: are all of the people around the world who are on the extreme right and oppose democracy, are they going to be cheered and and buoyed up by Russian victory, or are the people who are in favour of democracy and counting votes and things like that, are they going to be cheered and buoyed up and supported by a Ukrainian victory?"
--Timothy Snyder

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/07/timothy-snyder-ukraine-history/

coluber2001

1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2023 12:40 pm
"There are going to be a lot of people who are going to have to decide whether they want to support Trump and his aims or they're going to support the US Constitution because a lot of Trump's aims are in direct contradiction to the Constitution."
--Beau of the Fifth Column

coluber2001

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 02:24 pm
"In book 8 of Plato’s Republic, Socrates argues that people are not naturally led to self-governance but rather seek a strong leader to follow. Democracy, by permitting freedom of speech, opens the door for a demagogue to exploit the people’s need for a strongman; the strongman will use this freedom to prey on the people’s resentments and fears. Once the strongman seizes power, he will end democracy, replacing it with tyranny. In short, book 8 of The Republic argues that democracy is a self-undermining system whose very ideals lead to its own demise. Fascists have always been well acquainted with this recipe for using democracy’s liberties against itself; Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels once declared, 'This will always remain one of the best jokes of democracy, that it gave its deadly enemies the means by which it was destroyed.' Today is no different from the past. Again, we find the enemies of liberal democracy employing this strategy, pushing the freedom of speech to its limits and ultimately using it to subvert others’ speech."

Jason Stanley, How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them

coluber2001

1  
Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 12:41 pm
Any fool can start a war, and once he's done so, even the wisest of men are helpless to stop it - especially if it's a nuclear war.
--Nikita Khrushchev,