Your Quote of the Day

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 03:01 am
A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him.
Brendan Behan
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 09:12 am
@edgarblythe,
The number of ideas you have rejected and cast into the past determines your level of creativity.

W. A. Narod
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:00 am
“If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.”
― Mo Willems, Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2019 02:45 pm
"Even in this golden age of ministerial incompetence, the transport secretary stands out from the crowd."

Andy McDonald

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47446459
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2019 03:22 pm
“Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?”
― Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:28 am
All empty souls tend toward extreme opinions.
William Butler Yeats
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 06:21 am
“Don't explain your philosophy. Embody it.”
― Epictetus
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 02:27 am
Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.
Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 04:07 pm
"We are all born as animals and live the life that animals live: we sleep, eat, reproduce, and fight. There is, however, another order of living, which the animals do not know, that of awe before the mystery of being ... that can be the root and branch of the spiritual sense of one’s days. That is the birth - the Virgin Birth - in the heart of a properly human, spiritual life."

Joseph Campbell
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 09:01 pm
@coluber2001,
As a human animal who has lived for over 80 years on this planet, I feel quite satisfied with the life I was able to lead in our country, the United States of America. The freedoms and opportunities that our country provided, the development of airplanes as public transportation that allows us to travel half way around the world in one day, and our ability to communicate with almost anyone on this planet instantaneously is the miracle of our times. From the time of the Great Depression when I was born in Sacramento, CA, to my "last" home in Sunnyvale, CA, it's been quite a 'trip.' Was able to travel to over 80 countries, visit all 7 continents, and develop friendships in many of them - even in Moscow. I'm only sorry I will not be able to visit with so many friends I have developed over the years, because my wife limits my travels to the US and Canada. Can't complain.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 11:19 pm
“Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, and ages, it is the rule.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 09:28 am
“No passion is stronger in the breast of a man than the desire to make others believe as he believes. Nothing so cuts at the root of his happiness and fills him with rage as the sense that another rates low what he prizes high.”
― Virginia Woolf, Orlando
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2019 08:18 pm
“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 07:40 am
“We are trying to prove ourselves wrong as quickly as possible, because only in that way can we find progress.”
― Richard P. Feynman
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 09:58 am
“It's so hard to believe in anything anymore. I mean, it's like, religion, you really can't take it seriously, because it seems so mythological, it seems so arbitrary...but, on the other hand, science is just pure empiricism, and by virtue of its method, it excludes metaphysics. I guess I wouldn't believe in anything anymore if it weren't for my lucky astrology mood watch.”
― Steve Martin
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2019 01:01 pm
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
― Carl Sagan
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 12:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
“Like the tender fires of stars moments of their life together, that no one knew of or would ever know of, broke upon and illuminated his memory.”
― James Joyce, The Dead

Anjelica Huston on James Joyce: A Shout in the Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f63y4XqJSos
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 01:39 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Not in the same league. I've just read this and had to put it somewhere.

Mr Grieves-Smith said: "He stated that had he known it was illegal, he would never have had the procedure because he certainly was not that desperate to have his ear removed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47658303
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 07:53 am
Interesting quote, in the light of increasing voter suppression:

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
― Mark Twain
Olivier5

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 07:56 am
@edgarblythe,
There's some truth to that, unfortunately...
0 Replies