Your Quote of the Day

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:57 pm
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife.
Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here
and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 01:08 pm
“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.”
― Carl Sagan, Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 05:52 am
Groups of people are like a massive Rock, Paper, Scissors war. ~Daniel, @blindedpoet
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 03:37 am
Social Security is based on a principle. It's based on the principle that you care about other people.
You care whether the widow across town, a disabled widow, is going to be able to have food to eat.

Noam Chomsky
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 05:29 am
No one should approach the temple of science with the soul of a money changer. ~Thomas Browne, attributed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 09:02 am
Traces of Texas
·
The Texas Quote of the Day comes from a bumper sticker I saw in New Braunfels:

"Some of the greatest fish in Texas are caught by the tale."
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
You can't shake hands with a closed fist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 11:26 am
It was like a flying saucer landed. That’s what the sixties were like. Everybody heard about it, but only a few really saw it... [Bob Dylan]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:03 am
“Dr. Watson's summary list of Sherlock Holmes's strengths and weaknesses:

"1. Knowledge of Literature: Nil.
2. Knowledge of Philosophy: Nil.
3. Knowledge of Astronomy: Nil.
4. Knowledge of Politics: Feeble.
5. Knowledge of Botany: Variable. Well up in belladonna, opium, and poisons generally. Knows nothing of practical gardening.
6. Knowledge of Geology: Practical but limited. Tells at a glance different soils from each other. After walks has shown me splashes upon his trousers, and told me by their colour and consistence in what part of London he had received them.
7. Knowledge of Chemistry: Profound.
8. Knowledge of Anatomy: Accurate but unsystematic.
9. Knowledge of Sensational Literature: Immense. He appears to know every detail of every horror perpetrated in the century.
10. Plays the violin well.
11. Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.
12. Has a good practical knowledge of British law.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." —Mitch Hedberg
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:23 am
Say your pwayers wabbit!
Elmer Fudd
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:56 pm
The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.

Joseph Campbell, "Psychology of the Future: Lessons from Modern Consciousness Research" book
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:35 am
“For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?”
― George Orwell, 1984
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 01:27 pm
“Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.”
Alan Watts
-
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 03:21 pm
“In the first instance, it is probably true that, in general, the higher the education and intelligence of individuals become, the more their views and tastes are differentiated and the less likely they are to agree on a particular hierarchy of values. It is a corollary of this that if we wish to find a high degree of uniformity and similarity of outlook, we have to descend to the regions of lower moral and intellectual standards where the more primitive and “common” instincts and tastes prevail.”

(And this is precisely what happened in Germany prior to the rise of the Third Reich.) Brittany Hunter

“It is, as it were, the lowest common denominator which unites the largest number of people.”

Friedrich Hayek
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 03:29 pm
@coluber2001,
Look at how many people trust and believe in Donald Trump; tens of millions. Just from the media coverage on D Trump, I find him to be a despicable human who cheats on all his wives, his business associates, his customers, his children, and his parents, and he's our president. Oh, and I almost missed bigot.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 03:58 pm
“Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own.”
― Bertrand Russell, What I Believe
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 04:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
...the rank and file are usually much more primitive than we imagine. Propaganda must therefore always be essentially simple and repetitious.

The bigger the lie, the more it will be believed.

Joseph Goebbels
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 05:12 pm
@coluber2001,
So many contradictions about life that seems to be accepted as the norm. Bible vs science is at war. It's hard to let go of something that's been one's faith all their lives, but to ignore the science seems a bit extreme.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 08:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It puts the young people in a crunch. Which one will they throw away religion or science. But they don't have to throw away either. They can evolve the religion to suit the times and study the science of evolution. Evolution is indispensable in both religion and science.

Neither is the religion of 1,000 years ago adequate for the times nor is the religion of a five-year-old adequate for an adult.
0 Replies