Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 05:34 am
“It s amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper.”
― Jerry Seinfeld
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 01:47 pm
Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there
is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself,
to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade.
But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands
shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for. You will therefore permit me
to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

~Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 05:03 pm
@George,
He was always the optimist was Dickens.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 09:37 am
“Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.”
― Oprah Winfrey
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:34 am
“I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”
— W.B. Yeat
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 05:44 am
“Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”
― Frederick Douglass
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:38 am
“It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.”
― Mark Twain
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 02:26 pm
“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 04:57 pm
“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”
― E.E. Cummings
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 10:35 am
“Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home".

David Frost
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 06:25 am
“Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.”
― Bertrand Russell, Unpopular Essays
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 10:05 am
Christmas! The very word brings joy to our hearts. No matter how we may dread the rush, the long Christmas lists for gifts and cards to be bought and given–when Christmas Day comes there is still the same warm feeling we had as children, the same warmth that enfolds our hearts and our homes.”
~ Joan Winmill Brown
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 10:07 am
Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.
- Calvin Coolidge
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2014 08:43 am
“Next year he did not come for her. She waited in a new frock because the old one simply would not meet, but he never came.
"Perhaps he is ill," Michael said.
"You know he is never ill."
Michael came close to her and whispered, with a shiver, "Perhaps there is no such person, Wendy!" and then Wendy would have cried if Michael had not been crying.”
― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2014 03:44 pm
“Outside, there was that predawn kind of clarity, where the momentum of living has not quite captured the day. The air was not filled with conversation or thought bubbles or laughter or sidelong glances. Everyone was sleeping, all of their ideas and hopes and hidden agendas entangled in the dream world, leaving this world clear and crisp and cold as a bottle of milk in the fridge. ”
― Reif Larsen
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2014 09:32 pm
@vonny,
John Rogers wrote:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/22/1353470/-21-Ayn-Rand-Christmas-Cards?detail=facebook
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 05:56 am
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Buckminster Fuller
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:30 am
"No one gossips about other people's secret virtues."
--Bertrand Russell
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 05:49 am
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:50 am
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald
0 Replies