Your Quote of the Day

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 12:43 pm
@Olivier5,
"If you are coming over to help me, don't bother. But if you are coming because you believe your liberation is tied to mine, then please join me."

Aboriginal woman

I love this one!
Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good one. Googled it up and it is attributed to a certain Lila Watson, Australian Aboriginal woman.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 12:56 pm
"I would say they should refrain from any sexual activities."
Sepp Blatter, FIFA President.

- Advising how gay fans should behave during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, where homosexuality is banned.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 08:25 am
“I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.”
― James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time
timur

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 11:32 am
@edgarblythe,
I'd rather deal with pain than with hatred.

- Timur
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 12:13 pm
@timur,
Where there is hatred, there is pain.
timur

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 12:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure not, as seen on many posters here (i.e Coldjoint)..

We can see the hatred but not the pain (even though they are a PITA)..
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 01:35 pm
@timur,
But, is cj human? LOL
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 03:47 pm
The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.

- M. Scott Peck
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 05:34 am
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 05:41 am
"The rhythm hammers us, hits us, and possesses us, making us prisoners of noise. It's like a drug."
- Jeanne Moreau,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 05:42 am
“One who makes himself a worm cannot complain afterwards if people step on him.”
― Immanuel Kant
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:23 pm
The practice of quoting others does not indicate in any way, a deficiency or an incapability to think for oneself. It is an acknowledgement of someone's contribution to our personal growth.
Germlat.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:36 pm
@Germlat,
Rather, the person who can quote poems can spread our understanding of human life much better than anyone who can't. I can barely remember some songs. Embarrassed
Germlat

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Rather, the person who can quote poems can spread our understanding of human life much better than anyone who can't. I can barely remember some songs. Embarrassed

The source doesn't matter...wether poetry, literature, philosophy or science ...I think it rather odd and ostentatious for some to think quoting others is the same as parroting(yep I dared made it a verb)...that in itself tells me that person is delusional in thinking others don't have a a worthwhile contribution to our individual learning.
vonny

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 03:40 pm
@Germlat,
When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.

- Henri Nouwen
Germlat

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 04:15 pm
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.

- Henri Nouwen

I think this is very genuine and truthful.
Germlat

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 04:25 pm
Also--I friend can give you unsolicited advice...even to the point of becoming a nuisance ...in the end it feels good to know someone cares.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 04:26 pm
@Germlat,
"Leaders do not substitute words for action, do not seek the path of comfort, but face the stress and spur of difficulty and challenge. Leaders learn to stand up in the storm, but to have compassion on those who fail."

Gen Douglas MacArthur
Germlat

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 04:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

"Leaders do not substitute words for action, do not seek the path of comfort, but face the stress and spur of difficulty and challenge. Leaders learn to stand up in the storm, but to have compassion on those who fail."

Gen Douglas MacArthur

And then a leader needs a supporter...
0 Replies