Your Quote of the Day

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 03:34 pm
“They appear to function reasonably well—as lawyers, doctors, psychiatrists, academics, police officers, cult leaders, military personnel, businesspeople, writers, artists, entertainers and so forth—without breaking the law, or at least without being caught and convicted. These individuals are every bit as egocentric, callous and manipulative as the average criminal psychopath; however, their intelligence, family background, social skills and circumstances permit them to construct a façade of normalcy and to get what they want with relative impunity. These subcriminal sociopaths rarely go to prison or any other facility.” Robert D. Hare, PhD.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:03 am
“Being at a loss to resolve these questions, I am resolved to leave them without any resolution.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 06:02 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
“They appear to function reasonably well—as lawyers, doctors, psychiatrists, academics, police officers, cult leaders, military personnel, businesspeople, writers, artists, entertainers and so forth—without breaking the law, or at least without being caught and convicted.

There are many A2Kers who think that the words of those people are the ultimate truths. farmerman is especially convinced in respect of lawyers and academics of his choosing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 05:01 am
“Words are man's first and most grandiose invention. With language he created a whole new universe;”
― Aldous Huxley, Crome Yellow
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
"....demand is very imperious, and supply must be very suppliant."

Samuel Butler. The Way of all Flesh.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 05:02 pm
The two most engaging powers of an author are to make new things familiar, familiar things new.
William Makepeace Thackeray

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 08:32 am
“Perhaps what matters is not the human pain or joy at all but, rather, the play of shadow and light on a live body, the harmony of trifles assembled...in a unique and inimitable way.”
― Vladimir Nabokov
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:08 am
There's no reason to bring religion into it. I think we ought to have as great a regard for religion as we can,
so as to keep it out of as many things as possible.
Sean O'Casey

I have found life an enjoyable, enchanting, active, and sometime terrifying experience, and I've enjoyed it completely.
A lament in one ear, maybe, but always a song in the other.
Sean O'Casey

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:32 am
“Compassion is the basis of morality.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
True compassion is not steadfastly believing the lies of your own war criminal government. True compassion is acknowledging the heinous crimes committed against so many by your government. True compassion is not focusing on your own dead, your own treasure spent to inflict this incredible pain on the world's poor, using them as pawns in your evil machinations.

The thinking of the truly compassionate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 09:38 am
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10520759_658612924225429_3140223081693838144_n.jpg
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 09:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Is it judging someone who refuses to accept facts or is it merely pointing out a truism?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 05:01 am
“Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion... perhaps around their necks? And maybe -- dare I dream it? -- maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively.”
― Jon Stewart
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:26 pm
I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.
Plutarch

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 08:00 pm
If only the people of these countries the USA rapes and pillages had a voice.

"Who is going to punish the United States government for doing this to my country?"

Anna Chavez, a Guatemalan whose husband, relatives, and friends were killed by a death squads trained and supported by the U.S.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 05:01 am
“All extremes of feeling are allied with madness.”
― Virginia Woolf, Orlando
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:36 am
"It's a damn sad day when nothing is more American than a Ball Park frank"-some unknown guy named Steve
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 05:36 am
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
― Upton Sinclair, I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked
JTT

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 08:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Does your salary depend on you believing that fatuous nonsense about Afghanistan, Ed?
Wilso

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:12 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Does your salary depend on you believing that fatuous nonsense about Afghanistan, Ed?

For ****'s sake, do you have to turn EVERY conversation into one of your ******* rants about the US? Get some ******* counselling.