Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 08:50 am
“I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.” ~Daniel Boone
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:08 am
“The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

[Commencement Address at Yale University, June 11 1962]”
― John F. Kennedy
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:41 am
@edgarblythe,
That's pretty vacuous ed. And if the class being addressed went away determined to stick to the truth goodness knows what would happen.

"Truth" is a word commonly used by phonies to give themselves a gold star. As soon as somebody mentions the word I take a hold of my wallet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 06:53 am
“We used to be a nation that celebrated people who got things done. Now we celebrate people who stop things getting done.”
― George F. Will
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:34 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

If the illusion of knowledge is of no value research is pointless.

I think you are arguing a false meaning of the quote.

If you think you have established the truth you stop investigating.

You continue to research when you have a sneaking suspicion that you don't have the full picture.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:14 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Spendius just looks to be an obstructionist.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 10:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Someone wrote:

Muffins are just cupcakes that aren’t trying hard enough.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/virginmobilelive/thoughts-everyone-has-in-the-elevator
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 03:26 pm
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.
- Bill Shankly
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:19 am
“It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 02:57 pm
Football fans share a universal language that cuts across many cultures and many personality types. A serious football fan is never alone. We are legion, and football is often the only thing we have in common.
- Hunter S. Thompson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:57 am

“Women make up one half of society. Our society will remain backward and in chains unless its women are liberated, enlightened and educated.”
― Saddam Hussein, The Revolution and Woman in Iraq
Germlat

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 06:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
How ironic;) Smile Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:17 pm
@Germlat,
A striking quote. Almost unbelievable.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:49 am
“People are strange: They are constantly angered by trivial things, but on a major matter like totally wasting their lives, they hardly seem to notice.”
― Charles Bukowski
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:54 am
@edgarblythe,
There are few things so crass as a chap asserting that others are wasting their lives as a backdoor method of claiming he is not wasting his own.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 02:49 pm
The Dance is a poem of which each movement is a word
- Mata Hari
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 03:23 pm
@vonny,
That's why I kike a classic pas de deux vonny.
Germlat

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 08:10 pm
@spendius,
Please do tell how much you kike it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 05:22 am
“I realized these were all the snapshots which our children would look at someday with wonder, thinking their parents had lived smooth, well-ordered lives and got up in the morning to walk proudly on the sidewalks of life, never dreaming the raggedy madness and riot of our actual lives, our actual night, the hell of it, the senseless emptiness.”
― Jack Kerouac, On the Road
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:48 am
“Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.” ~Redd Foxx
0 Replies