- John Lennon
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 02:42 pm
@vonny,
"Free" & Ruined Lives.
Layla Anwar
July 1, 2007

I am "Free". He is "Free". She is "Free". They are "Free". And you are only a spectator...
Free, Freedom, Democracy. I shudder at these words.
I want to burn Plato's Republic and spit on your Constitution, on your Founding Fathers, on your Laws...

Free limbs, detached, solitary limbs, scattered to the four cardinal points and a bleeding heart in the middle, like a compass.
An arm to the West, a leg to the East, a head down South and a torso up North...And that damned bleeding heart in the Center.

Free, so free...
Free, free in Prisons. Free, so free in Detention centers...
Detention centers in the Mnistry of Interior, Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Justice!
Crammed, packed, jammed... The smell of blood, urine and feces...covering the infected wounds. Wounds of torture born on transparent skins covering rib cages...
Free, so free.
Tortured and Free in American camps. Sodomized and Free - American democracy flavor. Tortured and Free, whipped by sectarianism - Iranian flavor. Oh so Free.

Free to die. Free to cry. Free to mourn. Free to flee. Free to escape. Free at the borders...jammed, packed.

Two thousand "free souls" flee a day. They amass at frontiers, waiting for a stamp on that damned Green passport...that cursed passport.
The passport with a broken winged eagle as an emblem. Clipped wings of Freedom.
It reads "Republic of Iraq."
Republic of whom? Iraq? What Iraq?

Two thousand a day. Grave faces, desperate eyes, lost voices...
A forgotten, abandoned people. A despised, humiliated, tortured, stolen people.
A raped people.
Lost voices in the wilderness of your indifference. The Lost voices of Freedom and Democracy...

" I have 8 children. Look at how I am living. Has anyone asked me how I feed those kids. I have been without a job for 2 years. I tell you how I feed them...I can't feed them. I spit on the U.N. I spit on the thief Bush. If I ever return to Iraq it will be to free my country from those criminals. I will either kill or be killed by them. There is no other way " says this worn out father who looks 3 times his age.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:24 am
“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”
― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 11:21 am
@edgarblythe,
It's laughable to suggest that Kennedy was a liberal, Ed. Unless you are if the opinion that a rank war criminal and terrorist can be a liberal.

Quote:

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Chomsky/Persistent_Themes_Y501.html

Sabotage, terror, and aggression were escalated further by the Kennedy Administration, along with the kind of economic warfare that no small country can long endure. Cuban reliance on the US as an export market and for imports had, of course, been overwhelming, and could hardly be replaced without great cost. The New Frontiersmen were obsessed with Cuba from the first moments. During the presidential campaign of 1960, Kennedy had accused Eisenhower and Nixon of threatening US security by allowing "the Iron Curtain... 90 miles off the coast of the United States." "We were hysterical about Castro at the time of the Bay of Pigs [April 1961] and thereafter," Defense Secretary Robert McNamara later testified to the Church Committee. A few days before the decision to invade Cuba, Arthur Schlesinger advised the President that "the game would be up through a good deal of Latin America" if the US were to tolerate "another Cuba"; or this one, JFK determined. Much of Kennedy's Latin American policy was inspired by the fear that the virus would infect others and limit US hegemony in the region.

At the first cabinet meeting after the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, the atmosphere was "almost savage," Chester Bowles noted privately: "there was an almost frantic reaction for an action program." The President's public posture was no less militant: "the complacent, the self-indulgent, the soft societies are about to be swept away with the debris of history. Only the strong...can possibly survive," he told the country. Kennedy broke all diplomatic, commercial, and financial ties with Cuba, a terrible blow to the Cuban economy, given the dependency that had been established under US suzerainty. He succeeded in isolating Cuba diplomatically, but efforts to organize collective action against it in 1961 were unsuccessful, perhaps because of a problem noted by a Mexican diplomat: "If we publicly declare that Cuba is a threat to our security, forty million Mexicans will die laughing." Fortunately, the educated classes in the United States were capable of a more sober evaluation of the threat posed to the survival of the Free World.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 04:53 am
“We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least, had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was another - slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.”
― Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:18 am
To Those Who Say That Being A DJ Is Not A " Real Job "
( From a fellow DJ, DJ Skillz )
People love to use the term "Real Job" a lot...in a sense, stating what I do as a DJ isn't an actual job. Ok, time for my rant. Kudos to those who will take the time to read this.
The term you should use, is conventional...it's not the conventional job for most people. Working 2-4hr shifts (that you see as work) a few nights a week. Here's what really happens on a typical night. If I work 10-2, that means I leave my house usually at 830ish, & I get home anywhere from 3-330. So, that's 7hrs of actual time that I'm out for work.
Then, lets talk about prep work, finding music to play, making edits...that's at least 20+hrs a week for the club (that's not including the 6hrs of doing my weekly radio shows).
You have annoying clients & customers...I have drunken idiots constantly having me worried that they'll spill drinks on my equipment or cause a fight where my equipment can potentially get damaged. Equipment that's $5,000+ not including my music library which I consider priceless.
You have a boss you can't stand who tells you exactly what to do. We sometimes have bosses who give us a hard time about exactly what to play, then sometimes attempt to cheat us out of money. Not every owner/promoter I've dealt with I liked. It's called, doing your JOB. You deal with them, make nice, get paid & be on your way.
You have sick days...guess what. If I'm sick, I have someone cover for me & don't get paid. Not to mention, if you start to feel sick at work, normally it's not a big deal. Imagine constantly having 2-400+ people count on you to do your job every night regardless of how you feel. Then being sick & still doing the best you can. Going to the bathroom if you're sick & djing?? Maybe if you're lucky, but you have a better chance of hell freezing over that you'll have no line or even a bathroom stall depending.
If you're at your work station & your equipment breaks...eh, no big deal. It's your bosses/companies fault, they'll fix it and be on your way. If our stuff fails, we have 2-400+ drunk people at a bar who instantly get pissed & will leave, thus making us not get paid most likely.
So next time you say, "real job"...don't be ignorant. Use the words Conventional or Normal if you want...or just don't say anything at all. Yes I'm blessed to be able to do something I love & get paid for it. I know that, realize that & count my blessings daily...but at the end of the day, it's still a JOB. For you to tell me it's not "Real", is a sign of ignorance.
*drops microphone/closes iPhone
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Anonymous wrote:

Introverts unite! Separately in your own homes.
anonymously99

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 02:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
There must be another individual with the anonymous name. Because I didn't say as mentioned.
JTT

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 03:49 pm
@anonymously99,
Maybe Tsars doesn't spell so good.
anonymously99

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 04:03 pm
@JTT,
Maybe I'm losing it.
JTT

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 04:29 pm
@anonymously99,
Tsars wrote: Anonymous wrote:

Introverts unite! Separately in your own homes.

Your name is anonymously99.

Anyway, the quote was cute, whichever Anon wrote it.

anonymously99

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 04:31 pm
@JTT,
I did not find that cute. The main expression; Neutral .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 06:31 am
“As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests.”
― Gore Vidal
anonymously99

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 08:07 am
@edgarblythe,
"Man is easily confused and/or mislead by how my mind works because he refuses to want to understand. In the end he will be ashamed."

-anonymous
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 02:25 pm
“Whatever happens, they say afterwards, it must have been fate. People are always a little confused about this, as they are in the case of miracles. When someone is saved from certain death by a strange concatenation of circumstances, they say that's a miracle. But of course if someone is killed by a freak chain of events : the oil just spilled there, the safety fence just broke there : that must also be a miracle. Just because its not nice doesn't mean its not miraculous.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 02:29 pm
No matter how you try, no matter what you do, some days suck. Fortunately , there's tomorrow. - Who said that? Me.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 08:10 pm
"Assuming a sentence rises into the air with the initial capital letter and lands with a soft-ish bump at full stop, the humble comma can keep the sentence aloft all right, like this, UP, for hours if necessary, UP, like this, UP, sort-of bouncing, and then falling down, and then UP it goes again, assuming you have enough additional things to say, although in the 3end you may run out of ideas and then you have to rill along the ground with no commas at all until some sort of surface resistance takes over and you run out of steam anyway and then eventually with the help orf three dots. . . you stop."

Lynne Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves (p. 106)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 04:51 am
“Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
anonymously99

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 04:54 am
@edgarblythe,
What if you don't consider yourself as either or both? Shocked
JTT

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:30 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Did you rush right out to get this book for your style manual library, Merry?
0 Replies