Your Quote of the Day

vonny

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 02:19 pm
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
– Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 03:48 pm
“There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless! Keep a hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”
― Elizabeth Warren
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 03:53 pm
@vonny,
Was that Mark T, castigating the USA for its brutal attack on the people of the Philippines, Vonny, for the USA stealing their freedom from them just to steal their wealth?

//////////////////////

The funniest thing was when at the close of the Spanish-American War the United States paid poor decrepit old Spain $20,000,000 for the Philippines. It was just a case of this country buying its way into good society. Honestly, when I read in the papers that this deal had been made, I laughed until my sides ached. There were the Filipinos fighting like blazes for their liberty. Spain would not hear to it. The United States stepped in, and after they had licked the enemy to a standstill, instead of freeing the Filipinos they paid that enormous amount for an island which is of no earthly account to us; just wanted to be like the aristocratic countries of Europe which have possessions in foreign waters. The United States wanted to be in the swim, and it, too, had to branch out, like an American heiress buying a Duke or an Earl. Sounds well, but that's all.
- interview "Mark Twain in Clover / Joseph in the Land of Cornbread and Chicken." Baltimore Sun, 10 May 1907, p. 14
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 04:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Many seem to forget how most of us were able to get a 'free' education, and had the opportunity to attend college if one chose to go - all at relatively 'cheap' cost relative to one's potential to earn more in our future working careers.
"That" was during our generation when our government understood the meaning of equal treatment under the laws. It all began after WWII when the returning soldiers were allowed to attend college funded by the GI Bill. That resulted in our country being the economic superpower of the world. Not bad for a country that has only 5% of the world's population, and that speaks volumes about education, our infrastructure, and opportunity for all.

Nobody can possibly provide all the necessary social services on their own to make this country work; it takes a responsible government and the leaders of commerce that works for all the people they are supposed to represent.

This country has become something else; politicians play politics over the interest of our country, and those same elected officials are in it for themselves rather than the citizens they're supposed to be representing.

Most Americans want immigration reform and gun registration laws, but our congress fails at these simple issues. This will continue until we run all the bums out of Washington DC, and put in people able to listen to the citizens of this country, and pass laws that will benefit all the people.

Why does voters keep electing back the same WORTHLESS bums?

TNCFS

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 04:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wish I knew, CI.
anonymously99

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 04:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
Jesus Christ 

Love, Another, Loved

But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
Jesus Christ 

Good, Love, May

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
Jesus Christ 

God, Trust, Hearts

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you.
Jesus Christ 

Religion, Door, Ask

If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
Jesus Christ

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jesus_christ.html#Z2hE3toATtX9iUki.99

For God so loved the World that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Jesus Christ 

Religion, Life, God

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
Jesus Christ 

Love, Good, Credit

I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Jesus Christ 

Truth, Life, Father

It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Jesus Christ 

Call, Sick, Healthy

All the commandments: You shall not commit adultery, you shall not kill, you shall not steal, you shall not covet, and so on, are summed up in this single command: You must love your neighbor as yourself.
Jesus Christ

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jesus_christ.html#Z2hE3toATtX9iUki.99
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:00 am
“Make your own dream.

That's the Beatles' story, isn't it? That's Yoko's story, that's what I'm saying now. Produce your own dream. If you want to save Peru, go save Peru. It's quite possible to do anything, but not to put it on the leaders and the parking meters. Don't expect Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan or John Lennon or Yoko Ono or Bob Dylan or Jesus Christ to come and do it for you. You have to do it yourself.

That's what the great masters and mistresses have been saying ever since time began. They can point the way, leave signposts and little instructions in various books that are now called holy and worshipped for the cover of the book and not for what it says, but the instructions are all there for all to see, have always been and always will be.

There's nothing new under the sun. All the roads lead to Rome. And people cannot provide it for you. I can't wake you up. You can wake you up. I can't cure you. You can cure you.”
― John Lennon
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:03 am
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
Ralph Emerson Waldo
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 01:40 pm
The question for each man is not what he would do if he had the means, time, influence, and educational advantages, but what he will do with the things he has.
- Hamilton
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 10:23 am
“The word ‘slavery’ and ‘right’ are contradictory, they cancel each other out. Whether as between one man and another, or between one man and a whole people, it would always be absurd to say: "I hereby make a covenant with you which is wholly at your expense and wholly to my advantage; I will respect it so long as I please and you shall respect it as long as I wish.”
― Jean-Jacques Rousseau, The Social Contract
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 02:44 pm
“There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life.”
― John Lennon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 05:34 am
“There is no subjection so perfect as that which keeps the appearance of freedom.”
― Jean-Jacques Rousseau, The Social Contract
anonymously99

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“There is no subjection so perfect as that which keeps the appearance of freedom.”

An individual who does not understand, who truly has no idea would say as quoted.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 08:08 am
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 08:11 am
I ride my bike
I roller skate
Don't drive no car
- Melanie
anonymously99

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 08:36 am
@edgarblythe,
The Lord decides revenge.

We must love one another.
JTT

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 09:38 am
@anonymously99,
The USA hasn't been following the Lord's ideas since its own terrorist beginnings, A. The USA started out with a genocide against Native Americans and it has been terrorizing the poor nations of the world from not long after it began.

It's stated policy of Manifest Thievery has always defined USA foreign policy.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 01:32 pm
"I would rather be ashes than dust; I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot; I would rather be in a superb meteor, every atom of me in a magnificent glow than in a sleepy and permanent planet; the proper function of man is to live, not to exist; I should not waste my days in trying to prolong them; I shall USE my time."
- Jack London
anonymously99

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 10:34 pm
@vonny,
Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 02:08 pm
“Read it with sorrow and you will feel hate.
Read it with anger and you will feel vengeful.
Read it with paranoia and you will feel confusion.
Read it with empathy and you will feel compassion.
Read it with love and you will feel flattery.
Read it with hope and you will feel positive.
Read it with humor and you will feel joy.
Read it with God and you will feel the truth.
Read it without bias and you will feel peace.
Don't read it at all and you will not feel a thing.”
― Shannon L. Alder