Your Quote of the Day

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 03:12 pm
@JTT,
"He began by alluding to her a priori excellence. her axiomatic and seraphic super-humanity, the inspiration of her transcendental, inexpressible virtues."

Marcel Proust. Swann In Love. M. Swann is trying to get Uncle Adolphe to put a good word in for him with Odette who has been a bit aloof in recent times after a very submissive beginning to the affair.

It made me laugh anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 09:49 am
“I thought to myself, 'why not write a bestseller?' In the first place, more people buy them and more people read them. You make more money and it doesn’t take any more time to write a bestseller than it does to write a book nobody buys.”
― George Burns
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:37 am
“Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar.” ~ Pablo Picasso
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:51 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Bear quote: The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God.
-----

So much for the notion of papal infallibility.

opinion JTT. either of you could be correct or full of ****.
vonny

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 03:48 pm
“Laugh, even when you feel too sick or too worn out or tired.
Smile, even when you're trying not to cry and the tears are blurring your vision.
Sing, even when people stare at you and tell you your voice is crappy.
Trust, even when your heart begs you not to.
Twirl, even when your mind makes no sense of what you see.
Frolick, even when you are made fun of. Kiss, even when others are watching. Sleep, even when you're afraid of what the dreams might bring.
Run, even when it feels like you can't run any more.
And, always, remember, even when the memories pinch your heart. Because the pain of all your experience is what makes you the person you are now. And without your experience---you are an empty page, a blank notebook, a missing lyric. What makes you brave is your willingness to live through your terrible life and hold your head up high the next day. So don't live life in fear. Because you are stronger now, after all the crap has happened, than you ever were back before it started.”
― Alysha Speer
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:27 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
The point is, Bear, that infallibility is just that. If you change your mind on what what was once stated as thee way, then the infallible were obviously fallible.
spendius

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 06:11 pm
@JTT,
But times and circumstances change JT.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 04:58 am
Weak people believe in revenge. Strong people believe in forgiving. And intelligent people believe in ignoring!
- Simi Ngr
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 08:28 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/gwb_zps4ddf429a.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:09 am
@tsarstepan,
De la Vega, really?

We used to live in Spanish Harlem. My daughter and I would read his mysterious aphorisms chalked on the sidewalk every morning on our way to school.
JTT

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:16 am
@Olivier5,
An emotional investment often causes folks to ignore reality.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:23 am
@JTT,
Love is blind, and its cane is pink.
Gainsbourg
JTT

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:41 am
@Olivier5,
"We Americans (and our hangers on) are the ultimate innocents. We are forever desperate to believe that this time the government is telling us the truth."

Sydney Schanberger
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:43 am
@Olivier5,
You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- Dr. Seuss
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:06 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

De la Vega, really?

We used to live in Spanish Harlem. My daughter and I would read his mysterious aphorisms chalked on the sidewalk every morning on our way to school.

Yep. I remember his ephemeral drawings (that were attributed to him) on large cardboard boxes set out for recycling when I lived on the Upper East (Yorkville) Side from 2002 to 2008.
vonny

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
http://religionsofharlem.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/P1000573-1024x768.jpg
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:26 am
“Children are happy because they don't have a file in their minds called "All the Things That Could Go Wrong.”
― Marianne Williamson
spendius

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 02:46 pm
@vonny,
"To think that I've wasted years of my life, that I've longed to die, that I've experienced my greatest love, for a woman who didn't appeal to me, and wasn't even my type! "!

Concluding sentence of Swann In Love by Marcel Proust.
timur

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 02:55 pm
@spendius,
Served him right, living with the remembrance of things past!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:17 pm
“The belief that a person has a share in an unknown life to which his or her love may win us admission is, of all the prerequisites of love, the one which it values most highly and which makes it set little store by all the rest.”
― Marcel Proust
0 Replies