Your Quote of the Day

George

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:39 am
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.
~Ogden Nash
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 11:25 am
@George,
Quote:
People who say money doesn’t matter are like people who say cake doesn’t matter—it’s probably because they’ve already had a few slices.

Lemony Snicket, famous children's book author
From Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance
http://files.neilgaiman.com/mirror/111017162300/occupywriters.com/by-lemony-snicket.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 12:14 pm
Paladin: I don't think you got a very good look at this gun while you had it. The balance is perfect. This trigger responds to a pressure of one ounce. If you look carefully in the barrel you'll see the lines of the rifling. It's a rarity in a hand weapon. This gun was handcrafted to my specifications and I rarely draw it unless I mean to use it. Would you care for a demonstration?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 07:12 pm
A true classic...is an author who has enriched the human mind, increased its treasure and caused it to advance a step; who has discovered some moral and not equivocal truth, or revealed some eternal passion in that heart where all seemed known and discovered; who has expressed his thought, observation, or invention, in no matter what form, only provided it be broad and great, refined and sensible, sane and beautiful in itself. . .

Charles Augustin Sainte-Beuve
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:01 pm
“There's a lot of people out here who are really pissed off.”
Harry Belafonte

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 01:08 pm
“Feelings are much stronger than thoughts. We are all led by instinct, and our intellect catches up later”
― Bono

“Even though I'm a believer, I still find it really hard to be around other believers. They make me nervous, they make me twitch. I sorta watch my back.”
― Bono
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:20 pm
“All I know is that I am not a Marxist.”
― Karl Marx
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 04:26 am
Rocky (Rocky and Bullwinkle Show): And now, here's something we hope you'll really like.
George

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Boris Badenov: Ees Moose and Squeeril. Ees always Moose and Squeeril.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 05:53 pm
The recollection of how, when and where it all happened became vague as the lingering strains hung in the rafters of the studio. I wanted to shout back at it, Maybe I didn't write you, but I found you.
Hoagy Carmichael
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:19 pm
"Isn't it pretty to think so?"

~Ernest Hemingway
The Sun Also Rises
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 06:13 am
“Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private school, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate.”
Ulysses S. Grant
(Damned liberal hippie).

0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 06:34 am
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang

~William Shakespeare
"Sonnet 73"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:50 am
My main purpose in life is to make enough money to create ever more inventions.... The dove is my emblem.... I want to save and advance human life, not destroy it.... I am proud of the fact that I have never invented weapons to kill....
Thomas Edison

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:18 am
Today we are engaged in a final, all-out battle between communistic atheism and Christianity. The modern champions of communism have selected this as the time, and ladies and gentlemen, the chips are down — they are truly down.
Joseph McCarthy
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 08:43 am
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.

"Sir Gallahad"
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 04:30 am
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.
Red Cloud
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Today's word of the day from my Forgotten English daily calendar:
Quote:
Cappernoited: intoxicated, giddy, frolicsome.

John Mactaggart's Scottish Gallovidian Enclopedia, 1824.
spendius

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:32 am
@tsarstepan,
"I discarded my trousers, however, retaining only my veldschoens, having determined to go into battle with bare legs, in order to be the lighter for running, in case it became necessary to retire quickly."

King Solomon's Mines. Chapter 12.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:46 am
"But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because
Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it.
I been there before."

~Mark Twain
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
0 Replies