Your Quote of the Day

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:35 am
"And it looks like death came as quite a surprise to his ass"
Richard Pryor
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:44 am
"Well," says he, "my dear, do as you will, when you are up; you know I never contradict you."—"No," says she; "if the devil was to contradict me, I would make the house too hot to hold him."

An exchange between Mr and Mrs Tow-wouse, proprietors of the Dragon Inn, in Henry Fielding's Joseph Andrews.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:14 am
"The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake."

~Robert Frost
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"

We just had 35 mph of easy wind and over 2 feet of downy flake.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:38 am
@George,
I gave that one four thumbs up, george.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:43 am
"Human beings will be happier—not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia."
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (American Novelist; b. 1922)
Columbia Dictionary
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:54 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You should knock off blurting assertions which happen to satisfy you.

You can't discuss language use without reference to what it is being used for.

Two assertions that seem to satisfy you, Spendi.

I was making a point about Shakespeare and grammar, which you didn't understand. But, no worries. That's completely understandable given your level of ignorance on the history of language.
spendius

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 01:18 pm
@JTT,
Neither were assertions. The first was a suggestion and the second is so obvious a fact that it is bootless to argue about it. Although it was remiss of me not to include the word "sensibly" in the second point.

Your 3 assertion post proves my point.
spendius

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 01:19 pm
@spendius,
Correction--4.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 03:10 pm
"I'm giving serious thought to eating your wife"
Hannibal Lecter
Bennet

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 03:17 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
"How much will I owe you?" - fed up unhappy husband
0 Replies

da capo

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 04:30 pm
http://quotesg.com/Category/success/
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” Winston Churchill
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 04:44 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
the second is so obvious a fact ...

For christ's sakes, Spendi, you are the A2K champ in this regard.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:49 pm
i know these are likely to offend, so if you are a christian, feel free to skip this post.

"another dead hero" - written on a portrait of bill hicks, in the artwork on the album "aenima" by Tool.

"You know, the world's twelve-thousand years old, and dinosaurs existed in that time, you'd think it would've been mentioned in the ******* bible at some point. "And o, Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth, but the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus with a splinter in his paw. And o, the disciples did run a-shrieking 'What a big ******* lizard, Lord.' But Jesus was unafraid, and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus' paw, and the big lizard became his friend. And Jesus sent him to Scotland where he lived in a Loch for oh so many years, inviting thousands of American tourists to bring their fat ******* families and their fat dollar bills. And O Scotland did praise the Lord. Thank you, Lord." - Bill Hicks

" A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he's gonna want to see a ******* cross? " - Bill Hicks
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:34 pm
Al: Women should have three breasts - two in front and one in the back for dancing.
Married With Children TV show
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:56 pm
"Everybody has to die, but I always believed an exception would be made in
my case. Now what?"
~William Saroyan
Statement to the Associated Press, five days before his death. (13 May 1981)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 05:29 am
“The Devil answer'd: bray a fool in a morter with wheat, yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him; if Jesus Christ is the greatest man, you ought to love him in the greatest degree; now hear how he has given his sanction to the law of ten commandments: did he not mock at the sabbath, and so mock the sabbaths God? murder those who were murder'd because of him? turn away the law from the woman taken in adultery? steal the labor of others to support him? bear false witness when he omitted making a defense before Pilate? covet when he pray'd for his disciples, and when he bid them shake off the dust of their feet against such as refused to lodge them? I tell you, no virtue can exist without breaking these ten commandments; Jesus was all virtue, and acted from impulse, not from rules.”
― William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Trey Parker And Matt Stone wrote:

ELDER PRICE
"Heavenly Father, why do you let bad things happen?
More to the point, why do you let bad things happen to me?"

The Book of Mormon, 2011.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 01:16 pm
"i told you i was ill" - spike miligan's epitaph.

"jesus christ! is that the time already?" - what billy conolly wants as his.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 02:59 pm
"Dying in Paris is terribly expensive for a foreigner."
Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 04:28 pm
Either those drapes go or I do.

Oscar Wilde on his deathbed
0 Replies