Your Quote of the Day

jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 05:55 am
@edgarblythe,
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours -- it is an amazing journey -- and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins."~ Bob Moawad
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 01:55 pm
"There is a time for departure even when there's no certain place to go."
Tennessee Williams
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:39 pm
“If not us, then who?
If not now, then when?”
― John Lewis
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 03:49 am
“I’m a black, gay woman. I think the only way for the GOP to hate me more is if I sent them a video of me rolling around on a pile of welfare checks.” - Wanda Sykes

Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 05:30 am
“There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina. All other jobs should be open to everybody.”
― Florynce Kennedy
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 09:13 am
Quote:
Death accompanies us at every step and enables us to use those moments when life smiles at us to feel more deeply the sweetness of life. The more certain the end, the more tempting the minute.
- Theodore Fontane
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 09:28 am
"And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night."

~Matthew Arnold
"Dover Beach"
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 09:54 am
Quote:
"One must not judge everyone in the world by his qualities as a soldier:
otherwise we should have no civilization."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:29 pm
“You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.”
― Stan Laurel
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 05:35 am
“They say - "they" being the great philosophers, or possibly the cast of Seinfeld - that breaking up is like pushing over a Coke machine. You can't just do it, you have to set the thing in motion, rock it back and forth a few times.”
― Jennifer Weiner, Good in Bed
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
"It is not easy to do something good, but it is extremely difficult to do something bad."
Charles Eames
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
This Eames, I find far more quotable (and probably cuter to boot):
Detective Alexandra Eames: wrote:

When tourists take a bite of the Big Apple, the apple isn't supposed to bite back.

http://i46.tinypic.com/24bsrp2.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 03:24 pm
"Come not between the dragon and his wrath."

~William Shakespeare
King Lear (Act I, scene i)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:32 am
"England is a Nation of shopkeepers" - Napoleon Bonaparte

MAYBE NOT! This sentence, although said by Napoleon, can't be truly attributed to him. This expression had already been used before by people like the welsh economist Josiah Tucker and by the scottish philosopher and "Father of Economy" Adam Smith. The attribution of this expression to Bonaparte is a misconception. In fact, Napoleon's doctor later published the story of a conversation in February 1817 in which Bonaparte used the expression but made it clear he was quoting Pasquale de Paoli.

"Money is the root of all Evil" - Saint Paul.

OR NOT! What Saint Paul actually said was "The Love of money is the root of all Evil".. and not money itself.

"Let them eat cake" - Marie Antoinette

There is absolutely no proof that this was ever said by Marie Antoinette. There is a story that is told by Rousseau about a "great princess" that when it was told to her that the poor people had no bread to eat replied "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche". Brioche, a superior quality bread, was the only one the princess knew. It is possible that one of the french revolutionaries was responsible for the attribution of this to Marie Antoinette.

"Elementary my dear Watson" - Sherlock Holmes.

It might surprise you but this was NEVER mentioned in any of the original books of Arthur Conan Doyle. He does use, however a similar sentence in The Crooked Man, published in 1893 and only later added to the Memories of Sherlock Holmes edited in 1894 and even then it is part of a dialogue in which Watson (after a long explanation from Holmes) says "Excellent" and Holmes replies simply : "Elementary".

"Play it again Sam" - Humphrey Bogart

In fact, this quotation, often associated with the actor in the film "Casablanca" was said by Ingrid Bergman in the same film. In the scene she is the one who says "Play it Sam"

"You dirty rat" - James Cagney

This is a funny one. Although every artist who ever tried to imitate Cagney's style has used this quote, the actor himself sweared he never said it, not even once, in any of his films.Cagney is famous for his Ganster films and even now this sentence is used as a "tribute" to him.

"Luke, I am your father!" - James Earl Jones (As Darth Vader)

The actual quote would be "No, I am your father". (So as you can see.. Luke wasn't even in the sentence)

"IF I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution" - Emma Goldman

What she actually said was "I did not believe that a cause which stood for a beautiful ideal, for anarchism, for release and freedom from conventions and prejudice, should demand the denial of life and joy. I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement should not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it." (Although I can see how they got that... it is indeed quite different)
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:35 am
"Don't ever regret anything because regretting means wanting to forget every moment. Every moment is what makes you who you are today, every moment spent in regret is a moment wasted. Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up."~ Maryam Zarei
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 01:06 pm
"'Cheshire Puss,' she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know
whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little
wider. 'Come, it's pleased so far,' thought Alice, and she went on.
'Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'

'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.

'I don't much care where—' said Alice.

'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.

'—so long as I get SOMEWHERE,' Alice added as an explanation.

'Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, 'if you only walk long enough.' "

~Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:51 pm
“The purpose of life is to stay alive. Watch any animal in nature--all it tries to do is stay alive. It doesn't care about beliefs or philosophy. Whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes exinct.”
― Michael Crichton, Congo
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 09:09 pm
You stick your head above the crowd and attract attention and sometimes somebody will throw a rock at you. That's the territory. You buy the land, you get the Indians.
David Lee Roth

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 10:17 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:

I owe it all to little chocolate donuts.

John Belushi
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:28 am
"Canadians are their most Canadian on three occasions: when they've left
the country, when Olympic Hockey is going on, and on Canada Day."

~Kate Beaton
Hark! A Vagrant
0 Replies