Reyn

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 09:54 pm
About to watch it in 5 minutes! Wink
Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 12:54 am
Gypsies are first again. No surprise. I was surprised that they stopped for some tea. Let's not get complacent, guys.

I think the country boys would have had a chance if they hadn't given up before the race was over.

This is a game. Why is a man climbing mountains and hiking over rough terrain with what may well be a broken ankle? A GAME! This is insane. I can understand if you're in dire circumstances. Lost or stranded somewhere. I can see not wanting to let down your teammates in a life or death situation, But this is a GAME. I know I said that already. I'm sputtering.

Last week I said I thought the blind guy was nuts. This week it's his teammate. Why did they keep racing. Refuse to go on to save your teammate from permanent injury. They're all nuts.

Or is this is a mentality I simply can't relate to.

Why was the special clue the Fab 3 went out of their way to get as meaningless as Archery? I'm mystified.
Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 09:26 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
This is a game. Why is a man climbing mountains and hiking over rough terrain with what may well be a broken ankle? A GAME! This is insane. I can understand if you're in dire circumstances. Lost or stranded somewhere. I can see not wanting to let down your teammates in a life or death situation, But this is a GAME. I know I said that already. I'm sputtering.

Last week I said I thought the blind guy was nuts. This week it's his teammate. Why did they keep racing. Refuse to go on to save your teammate from permanent injury. They're all nuts.

This is exactly what I thought, too!

If the guy keeps walking on that ankle, he may well develop a permanent weakness in it.

And for what? $50,ooo, minus tax ($150k divided by 3)? What a bunch of schmucks! Mad

I do enjoy the show, but folks like the one we're talking about, make me want to shake my head!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 10:35 am
I laughed when Erik (blind guy on No Limits) volunteered for the sky-diving challenge since he'd DONE it before! He is simply amazing. Devastating to see Ike re-injure his ankle...hopefully that 'pop' he heard was a ligament and not a rebreak of the bone.

I don't think either The Gypsies or No Limits are in it for the money. No Limits summited Mt. Everest...they'd probably have paid CBS to participate in the show.

The Country Boys probably were, though.

Roberta...the Archery clue showed the 'A' underlined...Fab 3 just didn't zone in on the significance of it.

I always thought kasbah was spelled with a 'C'...so that clue would have taken me a while Smile

Irish(Meet me at the Casbah)K
Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 08:07 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I always thought kasbah was spelled with a 'C'...so that clue would have taken me a while Smile

According to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casbah
Quote:
The Casbah (Arabic: قصبة‎, qasba, meaning citadel (fortress)) is specifically the citadel of Algiers in Algeria and the traditional quarter clustered around it. More generally, a kasbah is the walled citadel of many North African cities and towns. The name made its way into English from French in the late 19th century (the Oxford English Dictionary states 1895), and continues to be spelled as acquired from that language.

So, you could be right, too! Wink
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:54 am
This is becoming painful to watch. Not so entertaining. I'm disappointed that No Limit didn't lose. Get that guy to a hospital.

26 teeth. Hey, lady. Open your mouth and start counting.

The terrain isn't offering much in the way of new challenges. The challenges-challenges are ok, but they are becoming more prominent and making the show seem like less of an adventure.

Also having very little in the way of competition for first is not exciting. Hey, Expedition Impossible. You're losing me.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:08 am
I loved what No Limits' Erik said once all the teams had passed them and they realized it was over for them...about appreciating the open spaces, the birds and finally being aware of his surroundings. He said it so beautifully.

Also loved the reception they got when they came in 5th instead of last lol. Dedication. One of the football guys..."Man, you've just inspired an entire country!"
Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10:32 am
@Irishk,
Not inspired.
Irishk

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:20 am
@Roberta,
Team Cali Girls were hilarious in that one challenge. I'm thinking maybe they spent too much time on the collegiate golf tour and maybe not enough time in the classroom??? Still, they were devastated to be eliminated, so I felt bad for them.

Cali Girls: "This is why girls ask for directions!!!" Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:03 pm
Well, I finally got to watch the last episode, as I had to record it.

The fellow hopping on one leg - is he completely bonkers? Shocked Mad He's going to permanently rack up that ankle.

I continue to be aghast by the difficulty of the challenges. That last go-down-the-cliff thing looked quite tricky for some.

Is it worth $50,000, minus income tax? I dunno.
Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:45 am
@Reyn,
Reyn, It's becoming increasingly clear to me that these people aren't in it for the money. It's the challenge.

It's also becoming clear to me that I don't have the kind of mentality needed for such things. I think I prefer mental challenges. I'm just not that physical a person.

Aside: I've experienced numerous surgeries and radiation treatments. When the docs asked me to rate the pain from 1-10, I never once said 10. I figure things can always get worse. So from my limited perspective, that broken ankle guy is a wuss. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:46 am
I couldn't believe that the Cops team didn't think to look inside the pottery item for their next destination clue! Doh!

I've become increasingly uncomfortable with the difficulty level of these challenges. Way too hard for the money the prize is. For me, the fun factor is not there as I realise that these contestants can easily be hurt doing this show.

That guy continues to hobble around on that ankle, and now he's taken off his cast? What? Mad

Having said that, for that reason (for me), The Amazing Race is the better show. And no cheap-ass prize either!

0 Replies

eddieras

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:26 am
@Reyn,
to me, what really makes these reality shows are the people, the psychology and social interaction, especially when under duress. hardship doesn't create character, it reveals it. with that said, i love No Limit. while it's a tall order i'd love to see them win it all, but just getting to the final is fantastic.
Irishk

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:23 pm
@eddieras,
I agree, and welcome to A2K! I'm also partial to Team No Limits. If you're interested in some 'behind-the-scenes' info on their efforts, the challenges and background on their friendships, Erik includes it in his blog...

http://www.touchthetop.com/blog/
Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 01:24 pm
What a careless mistake the cops made. There's no room here for any mistakes. They're gone.

I'm amazed at how well the Fab 3 has done.

The No Limits guy took kis cast off for the finale. Not gonna thing about it.

For reasons I'm not sure of, I find myself rooting for the football players. Somehow they managed to fit into the cave entrance. Somehow none of them has drowned in the rafting challenges.

Looking forward to next week.

0 Replies

eddieras

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:28 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk - thank you so much for that link! amazing. i just read a bit but i will certainly read on... and share with my kids (15, 12).

In all these reality shows i really look for how the teams interact and in the case of the amazing race how they interact with others in their travels - as they are guests in other countries. if they pass these two of my 'tests' 1-get along in tough times with each other and 2-aren't obnoxious as visitors, then i root for them. No Limits have been tremendous sports and i actually had tears in my eyes the past two episodes (esp last nite) as they crossed the finish line. good stuff!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:57 pm
@eddieras,
eddieras, Hi and welcome. I agree that the psychology and interaction is what makes these shows interesting. If you read back a bit, you'll see that I've been having a problem understanding why people (No Limits in particular) are willing to risk so much for a game.

It's a kind of mentality I just don't get. But I was inspired last night that the other teams seemed so willing to help them and wanted them to do well.

I strongly doubt that anyone will be able to beat the gypsies. But it will be interesting to see how the other teams do. I confess that I'm cringing a little that the guy from No Limits removed his cast.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:36 pm
Does anybody agree that maybe some of these challenges are perhaps too hard and dangerous?
Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 11:01 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, The challenges themselves are very hard. I don't know that they're dangerous. The course itself is where the danger lies.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:30 am
@Reyn,
Ike's injury is the worst so far and he did it getting into a taxi lol. Then the minor stuff...blisters, a rolled ankle or two and I think some of the teams suffered mild dysentery.

I know what you mean, though. I think if you'd watched Burnett's Eco Challenge (upon which this show is based) you'd be a little less concerned, though. Those races were wild -- and the one he produced in Morocco saw at least half of the 40 or 50 original teams (from around the world) dropping out from injury. The kayak discipline in Morocco was on the open sea and there were 6 - 10' swells that day. Air rescue was plucking people out of the water left and right and most ended up in the hospital. On the bike ride, a woman from Finland fell asleep just before dawn (they raced 24 hours a day) and plunged 40 or 50' down a canyon. Amazingly, she wasn't seriously hurt, but there were a lot of busted knees and ankles, hypothermia, dehydration/hallucination, and exhaustion victims throughout the race.

Then, at the end of 5 or 6 days it was over and all they wanted to know was where the race would be held next year -- even the ones who DOR'd from injury.

Oh, and the first place team of 4 split $25K in prize money -- second place split $20K, so they each got a whopping $5,000 lol (which wouldn't even cover the cost of their race gear).

There was a team of NYC cops (I think that was Morocco) who said they just wanted to prove nothing was as tough as the jungle that was New York. Their goal was to place in the top ten and I think they came in 7th. They were ecstatic.