Why do atheist try to convert Christians

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:17 pm
Like the title says why do you think that atheist try to convert Christians?
Why do they try to prove them wrong?
Do you have any idea why they do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 30 • Views: 51,676 • Replies: 881

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't think atheists have any interest in converting Christians into anything other than quieter people.

edit

not just Christians - the atheists I know would like all religious people to be quieter about their beliefs
rosborne979

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
Most atheists don't try to convert anyone.
whyisitso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
i personally dont believe in christianity.
Moses parting the sea? Adam and Eve?
i dont think so.
but as an Atheiest, i dont hate christians. I dont try to convert them, and i accept their choices. Atheists are cool, christians are cool, nobody hate each other.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:39 pm
@reasoning logic,
Probably the same reason that Christians try to convert atheists.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:47 pm
@maxdancona,
That was my thought as well!

Could it be that they think that they have the truth and want to share it?

What do caring people do when they have something that they think is valuable and have an abundance of it. keep to them selves?
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
Your title makes a very big assumption. It is incorrect.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
I wouldn't call it trying to convert them. They believe they have the truth and they want to share that truth with others. It's the same with Christians, Muslims, etc.
fresco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:23 am
@reasoning logic,
( Sorry - To Arella May, not Reasoning Logic)

I have given you this answer before:

Richard Harris argues that all belief involving "an afterlife" gives succour to extremists who would destroy "this life" . Since modern technology now gives extremists the means to do this, "believers" are likened to "recreational drug users" who disclaim the dangers of addiction.

Christians who argue that their belief system occupies "the moral high ground" in this matter need only consider their brethren awaiting "the Rapture in the Holy Land" to realise they will be tarred with the same brush.
panzade

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:57 am
@roger,
Since atheists only make up 2.5% of the population I doubt r.l. has even met a true atheist.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:04 am
@panzade,
What is a true atheist? Do some people only pretend to be atheist? Maybe you have something different in mind.
I would think that atheist are like a box of chocolates varying in many different ways!
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:08 am
@Arella Mae,
Convert is a word that I have heard used with religion all my life here in the south. I have always thought of it to mean change. I guess from one way of seeing reality to another way!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:12 am
@roger,
Please explain and please note that my title does not say {all} atheist try to convert!
roger

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:18 am
@reasoning logic,
Weasel wording.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:28 am
@roger,
Please share with us how it should have been correctly worded.
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:23 am
@Arella Mae,
Some do, and there are certainly militant "atheists" who make a religion of their alleged non-belief, and attempt to make science a scripture. In my experience, precious few know much about science (and if i, who am not well educated in science, can spot that, they're in sad shape). These people attempt to beat others to death with their supposed excellent world view.

But this is a venue to which people come to argue such things. Most of the atheists here that i know of don't bring this sort of thing up, and most don't head for religious threads to argue. Even those who do are behaving in a manner which is not typical of their behavior in real life. Out in the world, i avoid the subject of religion. It's ill-bred, for one thing. People in society who wish to be polite do not bring up politics or religion as subjects for conversation. Another matter is that politics and religion are only likely to come up in conversation with fanatics. I have no interest in discussing things with fanatics.

It's an absurdity to say that atheists try to convert christians. I stopped practicing religion when i was 13. I stopped believing when i was about 17. But i was 40 before i ever encountered the militant, pushy, annoying kind of atheist and i avoid them like the plague.
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:25 am
By the way, i have met in "real life" several of the atheists at this site. In conversation in real life, the subject has never come up.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:42 am
@panzade,
Quote:
Since atheists only make up 2.5% of the population I doubt r.l. has even met a true atheist.

A lot of atheists tend to give lip service to some religion or other and that is almost build in the DNA to do so, as for most of human history anyone who did not give lip service to the gods would end up dying in very unpleasant manners.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 05:08 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Please explain and please note that my title does not say {all} atheist try to convert!
Your title is disinegenuous and funny to boot. It reminds me of the political ploy of;

"Im not going to engage in low down dirty ad hominem politics like my opponent who has shown us what a consummate liar and womanizer he is"

I for one am not gonna bite at an obvious set up question.

OH wait, I juwst did.

nevermind
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 05:19 am
I only try to convert christians so that when i get home, i can laugh at the thought of them burning in Hell for eternity . . .