Actuaries

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 06:38 pm
Any actuaries here or anyone who had passed the actuary exams? What is the best way to prepare for the exams?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,391 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Oylok

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:18 pm
@samanthac,
samanthac wrote:
Any actuaries here or anyone who had passed the actuary exams?

I believe so, but they keep you guessing. (I am not one.)

Quote:
What is the best way to prepare for the exams?

It seems to me the best way to prepare for the first exam is to develop a solid work history before you even take it, because the ultimate goal in taking that exam is not to pass, but rather to land a job in the profession after passing. It's my understanding that once you pass the first exam, you're "on the clock" to land jobs and pass more exams. That is why I have not attempted Exam P.

As far as the best way to prepare to answer the questions correctly within a 3-hour span is concerned, that probably depends on what kind of mind you have. You may have a receptive mind that enables you to quickly learn problem-solving procedures that others have devised, or you may be aggressive and want to devise your own approach to analysing problems.
samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:37 pm
@Oylok,
hi, are you currently preparing for it?
Oylok

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:58 am
@samanthac,
Off and on...

...so that I can turn around and pass it on a whim if my job situation outside of the actuarial field ever become solid enough to make getting an entry-level job as an actuary feasible.

Of the materials I have purchased so far, I like:

http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/product_details.asp?prod_id=453062038
(BPP SOA Exam P/CAS Exam 1 ADVANCED Study Program, Summer/Fall 2011)

It teaches probability and statistics in chapters and breaks all the test questions you might see down by chapter.
0 Replies