Kitchen counter advice requested

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:07 pm
My kitchen counters are made up of bumpy-textured white tiles, with a wood "frame" (if that's the right word for it) along the front edges. My kitchen sink is set into the tiles, so they sort of overlap it on the edges. The backsplashes are made of larger versions of the same bumpy tile, with a rounded edge on the top which is next to the wallpaper (which I'd like to keep intact).

Bottom line - I hate the tiles. They were crappy when we moved in 10 years ago, and I still hate them. The "bumps" always look dirty, the caulking is cracking and stained, and there are burn marks from the previous owners that just won't come clean.

My question is whether or not it's possible, or advisable, to somehow chip out the old tiles and put in new tiles, while still maintaining the wooden frame around it that matches the cupboards. Has anyone ever attempted something like this? Am I nuts to take it on? If I do take it on, how in the world would I start?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,173 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:21 pm
Shocked Take a look at that wood strip from underneath if you can.

Usually, a tiled counter is tile over plywood and that wood trim its nailed to the plywood base but sometimes they come as a complete prefabed unit and the base and trim are made of particle board with a laminate over the exposed edge.

If the trim is nailed on I'd take it off, replace the countertop and then put it back on. That leaves less chance of mucking up the piece you want to keep. (You'll probably find it faster to just remove the counter entirely and put down new plywood!)

Your sink should just have a few clips on the underside. You can lossen those up, disconnect the drain and water feeds and pop that right out. It goes right back in the same way once you've resurfaced the counter.

P.S. - Tile counters look nice when they go in but they usually end up looking like crap after a few years. To many gaps to catch junk and the grout stains easily. I'm not a fan of them.
0 Replies