Places you wouldn't want to live next door to

Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 12:24 pm
@JPB,
Sorry, I meant to say: That won't help; it's not your smell (which actually is terrible), it's your personality.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 12:38 pm
@JPB,
I know, it was terrible.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:02 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

http://images.myhome.com.au/still-real4886estate2508878bdaiaeficd-3-1.jpg

OH. MY. GOD. If I had to live next door to that, I would take up serious drinking.
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:35 pm
@roger,
I know, I almost vomited when I saw that picture.
That's a crack house if I ever saw one.

Oh, the humanities!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:39 pm
I get what you were saying though msolga about that house.

A few years back a house was built in the neighborhood, that I always referred to as "the Columbian Drug Lord House"
Now it finally looks good, after trees and plants have softened it.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/coma/images/issues/200911/powers-colombia-wide.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:44 pm
an oil rig
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:00 pm
@jcboy,
Then you wouldn't like Vacaville, the onion capital of California.

I love both places at harvest time when the bulbs are set out in the sun for curing.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:05 pm
I would not want to live next door to dirtydozen.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:16 pm
I would not like to live next door to my boss.

A long while back, she had gotten into the habit of calling me a random times, could be in the evening, or on the weekend. I'd answer when I heard it was her calling, but quickly realized she wanted to talk to me about work, as if I were right there in the office with her, and my mind was in that mode. She'd always started the call not with "Hello" but "What are you doing?" Which always gave me pause because (a) more than likely I wasn't doing anything specific and (b) WTF?
I started not returning her calls, and for awhile she say to me on Monday. I called you 3 times and you never called me back. To which I'd say "No, I didn't"

If she lived next to me, every time I walked outside she'd want to know what I was up to, commenting on what I was wearing, why I was doing what I was doing, etc.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:19 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Quote:
http://images.myhome.com.au/still-real4886estate2508878bdaiaeficd-3-1.jpg

Quote:
OH. MY. GOD. If I had to live next door to that, I would take up serious drinking.

Well yes, Roger, I felt the urgent need of a schnapps or two, when I drove past my old neighbourhood & saw their beautiful old Victorian home was being demolished ... even though I'd moved a few years back.

Then, when I saw what was being built to replace it some months later, I needed five!

Actually, I was quite restrained in my post, in case anyone might think I'm an architecture snob, or something.

I think I would have been inconsolable if I still lived next door. And be seriously contemplating life-long vendettas & violence! Wink

znljubica

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:50 pm
I wouldn't want to live next door to any nuclear power plant.
msolga

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 07:09 pm
@znljubica,
Neither would I, znljubica!
What a thought! Shocked

I notice you're relatively new to A2K.
Welcome & enjoy! Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 07:34 pm
@chai2,
A national EPA superfund site.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 08:49 pm
Every work day, I pass a dairy farm. When the wind is wrong, the air gets heavy and rank. Skunks are run over in front of it more than any place else. I think they must come around to rob some cow's feed. Fortunately, it is a small zone, about two city blocks long, I would guess.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:25 am
@edgarblythe,
For shame, Edgar! You're a skunkcist! Sad
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I worded my post wrong. I meant to convey the overwhelming odor of cow shi*t, with frequent bursts from flattened skunks. Truth is, I am far from being a skunkcist. I think they are nice animals, if dangerous to be around. One of my siblings picked up a wild young skunk and brought it home, many years ago. To me, it acted somewhat like a cat. Whenever it got startled, it lifted its tail and pointed its butte at us. Knowing our luck could not hold out, I took it far from the house and sent it on its way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 01:48 pm
There is a major river which bi-sects this city. The river is fed by creeks all over town, and so you have a city the size of Chicago which is just overrun by wildlife. The city mostly sits atop a series of bluffs, and the creeks are wildlife highways.

You smell the evidence of angry skunks all the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 02:12 pm
@msolga,
I'm an architectural snob in the sense that I follow it, but I like a lot of buildings people wouldn't expect me to, including small huts. This abomination would definitely instill a similar reaction in me, msolga, if it appeared next to my old cottage house. That couldn't have happened then, because LA had landuse rules in place that would have prevented it, depending on neighhood-worked out consensus - but I don't expect those to stay in place forever, especially in a city that has fostered architectural innovation (Gehry et al). But I can empathize with real rage over that.
0 Replies