Places you wouldn't want to live next door to

wayne

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:16 pm
@Ticomaya,
It's a shame, that's actually a nice neighborhood, or was.

I think a crack house has to top the list for me, wouldn't wanna live next to one of those.
jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:40 pm
@wayne,
Gilroy, CA the garlic capital of the world. Been through there several times, the smell is gross.
jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Any paper mill, anywhere . . .

I'm with ya on that. Used to go to Maine to do auditing and you always knew when you were in a town that was virtually owned by Scott Paper Co.
roger

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:43 pm
@jespah,
In the Seattle/Tacoma area, it's called The Aroma of Tacoma.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:46 pm
@jcboy,
I like Gilroy. (Although - since I have been there, it is now a developed tractville.)
And I figure that is garlic planting land that has turned into housing.

On the other hand, I have an exceptionally poor sense of smell (for example, I don't smell gas.)
I photo'd and did a painting of the guy that ran the antique store and his humongous white cat.
Didn't buy any garlic or garlic aprons or garlic cookbooks. I already exude garlic (I think) but friends say not.
Perhaps they all lie.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:01 pm
Atlantic Gelatin in Woburn MA.

There are bad, bad emanations from that place every so often. I think
it has something to do with "rendering". It's right along I-93 and
sometimes as you drive by it, you are treated to a whiff of yuckiness.

Once, as we drove by, I said "Whew! The jello plant is doing it again!"

"Is that what that is?" she said. "I always thought it was you."
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:09 pm
@jespah,
Lot of them in North Carolina, too . . . you can get wind of them from miles away . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:40 pm
There's a street a mile south of me, Virginia Ave, that's at the top ridge of a hill. It has some nice old Austin type homes on it. Go ahead and look it up on Google Maps. One home always reminds me of Tara. Circular drive, beautiful porch that encircles the house. The people who own it really keep it nice. They own the lot next door, and it's covered with warbler houses. They've made it a bird sanctuary. Next door to them is another great house surrounded by a low stone wall, that has a breathtaking view of downtown.

Literally yards from them, at the bottom of the hill, is a part of Barton Springs Rd that I call Restaurant Row.
A Coffe shop that has groups with names like Wild Bill and the Lost Knobs (blues) Erik Hokkanens Laboratory (from the little I just listened on YouTube they are actually pretty cool), restaurants that turn into drinking establishments after dinner with live music, etc.

Sure, that sound like a good place to go for fun, but the people who live above them (and other streets around there) are constantly doing battle about noise.

I'm sure it gets old after awhile.
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:44 pm
@chai2,
In defense of Erik Hokkanen, here is a sample of his music....very nice....

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 06:55 am
http://images.myhome.com.au/still-real4886estate2508878bdaiaeficd-3-1.jpg
I almost did end up living next to something like this, only much worse ...
When Mr Ex & I went our separate ways in the not too distant past, I would have given anything to have had the $$$$ to buy him out & stay in the lovely old house which we'd renovated from top to bottom.
I loved that house. I hated having to leave.
Then, a couple of years ago, the folk next door knocked down their beautiful old Victorian home & built a fence to fence double storey house like this, only with balconies, huge windows overlooking what used to be our very private back yard .... & god knows what else! Shocked
... which would have left me without any natural light for most of the day & absolutely no privacy at all.
The only house of such humongous dimensions in the whole street.
I was so glad that I was no longer their next door neighbour, but felt really sorry for the young couple who'd bought our old place.
Poor little house!

Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 07:19 am
At the moment, Vancouver! See the pictures from the riot? What a bunch of thugs. I bet it's the same as last time, where thousands transited in from the burbs. How disgraceful.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 08:30 am
@jcboy,
Been through there too - would love to visit during the garlic festival (as I love garlic) - but agreed one of those wouldn't want to live there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 08:45 am
@wayne,
Another yeah, me neither.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:20 am
I don't want to have to live next door to JPB . . .
JPB

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:34 am
@Setanta,
Razz

ok, ok.... I'll go take a shower.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:32 am
@JPB,
That won't help; it's not your smell, it's your personality.
JPB

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:46 am
@Mame,
Ha! Come over here. I'll give you some personality.

Twisted Evil
JPB

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:49 am
@Mame,
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43420732/ns/sports-nhl/

Jesus. And this is because they lost?!?! Imagine how much fun(?) they'd have had if they'd won.
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 12:10 pm
@George,
Oh yes...we were almost-neighbors. Remember the pig farm that used to be near there in Woburn? This was around juncture of Rt 93 and 95/128. That would have been back in the late-'60s or early '70s. I used to have to hold my breath as I drove by. Heavens biking in near the Stoneham/Woburn area near the Jello plant was bad when there was fog or misty nights. Man, the smell of that rendering was vile. Maybe that smell wasn't the pig farm?

Oh yes, then there was the famous Sheep-fold...strolling down memory lane.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
That reminds me, I wonder what it smells like next to a maple syrup boiler. Does it smell as bad as the sugar and molasses refining process?

my uncle makes his own maple syrup and i've visited many sugar shacks, they mostly smell of wood smoke, the sap is boiled down to remove the water content, leaving syrup, so unless you burn the syrup there's not much smell, other than the wood smoke from the fires

inside the sugar shack it will smell like maple syrup
0 Replies