E-85 ethanol and emission control sensor warning

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:25 pm
I inadvertently put 1/2 tank (7 gals) of E85 ethanol into my 2005 CRV today. There was about 4 gals of regular gasoline in the tank at the time. About an hour or so later, I noticed a warning light on the dash which indicated that an emission control sensor had failed or that the gas cap wasn't on tight. I removed and replaced the gas cap but that didn't cause the warning light to go out.

The tank is about half full now. Should I top it off again as soon as possible with regular gasoline? It seems to run fine -- just a warning light and shitty mileage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,918 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:27 pm
@JPB,
That would be my guess, but it's only a guess.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:07 pm
@JPB,
yes.

can you find gas with zero ethanol to add to it?

(it's getting harder to find)

your O2 readings will be off until you clear it out.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:15 pm
I try to avoid those ethanol joints as much as possible.

when you follow someone who fueled on pure corn, the hose stays full for the next guy.

I got enough trouble without a bunch of extra alcohol in my tank...

keep me posted.

I can walk you through a DIY fuel drain if needs be, using the electric fuel pump to do the dirty work.
JPB

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:05 am
@Rockhead,
Thanks, but I don't think I'll be doing any fuel tank draining. You're talking to Frick and Frack when it comes to auto repairs. Dealers love people like me. Do something dumb and pay through the nose.
0 Replies