Aggressive, harrassing pit bull

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:34 am
Hi There,

I live on a 5 house court where everyone who lives there, owns their home. My new neighbor has a friend who he lets stay with him occasionly (2-3 nights a week...she does not co own the home). She has a dog who stays at the house full time (he says he is doing her a favor). It is an aggressive pit bull, who apparently was a rescue. Since he moved in, this dog is off elash roaming free often. He once trapped me in my car * months pregnant, growling at me. He also comes into our back yard (no one has fences because we back up to greenbelt)nd harrasses our dogs. Our dogs are safely secured within a fenced dog run and NEVER are off leash. the dog will come up to our deck and bark at usaggressively. We have spoken to our neighbor and he has apologized, but I have copntinued to see the dog off leash. I have called Animal control and made reports, but nothing has been done. I would like to write a letter (notarized) to my neighbor about the harrassment we have recieved, the dog on our property and the future legal action I will take if my dogs, my son or my husband and I are harmed in any way. Is this an appropriate next step? How should this letter be stated, or what should it be called? Any advice? We live in Fair Oaks, CA.

Thank you so much!

gungasnake

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 06:34 pm
@pissedmom,
Quote:
Is this an appropriate next step?

In my opinion no; you want to KILL the ******* dog. A compound bow would work nicely as would a silenced 22 caliber rifle...
roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 07:30 pm
@gungasnake,
Your solution is emotionally pleasing, and certainly better than looking a legal recourse after being mauled. Still, if there's any chance of getting caught killing someone's dog, and there is, she could end up in a heck of a lot of legal problems of her own.

I forwarded the question to someone who knows lots more than I. I hope he will show up.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 08:16 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Is this an appropriate next step?
gungasnake wrote:
In my opinion no; you want to KILL the ******* dog.
A compound bow would work nicely as would a silenced 22 caliber rifle...
Will a .22 do the job on a Pitbull?? Maybe; I dunno.
She did not say that he is a puppy.

If so, what is the next step?
Leave the body there, go home n watch TV ?
gungasnake

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 08:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

A 22 from the 1880s when 22s were invented wouldn't; a modern one would easily. Or a pound of hamburger mixed with Warfarin or some other rat poison tossed in the idiots' yard...

But don't wait until the dog kills some kid or something.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:01 pm
@gungasnake,
David wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
A 22 from the 1880s when 22s were invented wouldn't; a modern one would easily.
Or a pound of hamburger mixed with Warfarin or some other rat poison tossed in the idiots' yard...

But don't wait until the dog kills some kid or something.
When I was a kid, I kept a .38 revolver in case any emergency
like that arose. Fortunately, for me, it did not until a few more decades later.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Unfortunately, it is not especially quiet and cannot be made quiet. .22 is a great killer, but not much of a stopper. Poachers used to use it on alligators.

So far, we haven't come up with much help. I think the first step would city or county animal control. If they can't get the beast caged or locked up, they can make life unbearably expensive for the owner and the helpful resident that provides it with a home. Might even get the homeowner's insurance company involved.
jespah

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:21 am
@roger,
Ding ding ding this is the answer. Get the city/county and the insurer involved. An aggressive dog is a financial problem just waiting to happen - that may be harsh but the owner isn't noticing anything about someone potentially being physically hurt, so it's time to hit 'em in the pocketbook.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:25 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Unfortunately, it is not especially quiet and cannot be made quiet.
.22 is a great killer, but not much of a stopper.
Poachers used to use it on alligators.
Where did thay aim, Roger ?

David
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:33 am
David, this thread is not about guns so why not try to give this person some HELPFUL advice? She's not going to shoot the damn thing. You guys can discuss weapons elsewhere.

I would agree with Jespah - I'd phone and write every single day to the neighbour with the dog, animal control, City, house complex insurance, police, whoever and everyone about this until that damn dog was either leashed or removed. And I would not stop. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and this is a hazardous situation, so be more proactive about it.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:48 am
Does your cellphone have video capability? If not, you can get a cheap videocamera for under $100.00. Next time it traps you in your car, video it. If it comes on your property and bothers your dog, get video. Document it. Make a DVD of it, and take it in to Animal Control. What's your system of city government? Take it to your city councillor, or alderman, or whoever represents your district. They're often the people who can make one phone call and get action, or might take it up in city government meetings as cause for action or an ordinance. Take it to your neighbor--he's apparently not aware of what the dog actually does.
jespah

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:50 am
@MontereyJack,
That's a good idea, too. There is also -- if you get absolutely no satisfaction -- the local press.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:50 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
David, this thread is not about guns so why not try to give this person some HELPFUL advice?
She's not going to shoot the damn thing. You guys can discuss weapons elsewhere.
I must disagree with your reasoning, Mame.
From her description, this situation is a threat against her life.
Pitbulls have killed women before.
She needs the means to CONTROL the situation in the event
of another, more violent, predatory emergency.
Her survival shoud not be left to the discretion of the Pitbull.

Mame wrote:
I would agree with Jespah - I'd phone and write every single day to the neighbour with the dog, animal control, City, house complex insurance, police, whoever and everyone about this until that damn dog was either leashed or removed. And I would not stop.
Well, in the meantime while u r not stopping,
the dog is still a physical threat to her life.
She has described that in this thread.
If I knew her, I 'd be a lot more insistent in suggesting
that she have the means to sustain her life in the event of predatory violence
which is more than just theoretical.

Mame wrote:
The squeaky wheel gets the oil and this is a hazardous situation, so be more proactive about it.
That is an excellent point, and one that I have ofen made,
but one shoud not be complacent in the meantime,
merely hoping for the best.

David
Mame

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Look, if she's not going to shoot it, drop it. You turn so many threads into GUN threads. Let it go, David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:59 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
They're often the people who can make one phone call and get action,
or might take it up in city government meetings as cause for action or an ordinance.
Yea, I 'm sure that the dog will be patient
in WAITING for the ordinance.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:04 am
She wants action, David. City councillors can be very effective squeaky wheels in getting the grease. If you have an idea that is likely to work, by all means suggest it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:11 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Look, if she's not going to shoot it, drop it.
Did she SAY that???
I don 't think she said anything about it.

Mame wrote:
You turn so many threads into GUN threads. Let it go, David.
OK, I 've expressed my position already,
but this thread complains of, laments and is titled:
"Aggressive, harrassing pit bull"; that calls for help.

My advice is that a person in such danger
be possessed of competent emergency equipment.

That is both relevant and is all that I have to say for the moment.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:16 am
Yes, David, we realize that your solution to most of the problems of everyday living is to shoot them. That's not particularly helpful here.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:21 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Yes, David, we realize that your solution to most of the problems of everyday living is to shoot them.
only defensively, during predatory violence

MontereyJack wrote:
That's not particularly helpful here.
Not for U, because u don t have a Pitbull chasing u.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:20 am
@roger,
You could use and then say the dog was attacking you or threatening you - you had to in self defense of course.
0 Replies