Aggressive, harrassing pit bull

Green Witch

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:51 am
@pissedmom,
Write and send a copy of this letter to your local police and to your insurance company stating the name and address of the owner who is allowing the dog to stay there. CA has what are called "dangerous dog" insurance clauses ( a pitbull could add $500 to a homeowners liability premium) and your insurance company can easily track down your neighbor's insurance company and alert them to the fact they might have a liability problem waiting to happen. You should also send a copy to the city Animal Control letting them know if this dog becomes a bigger problem, and they do nothing, you would consider suing the their office as incompetent.

Shooting the dog creates the problem of what happens if you miss and hit a kid playing in the next yard so some guy mowing his lawn? Better to go the legal route and get some people with power to pay attention to the problem.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:14 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Shooting the dog creates the problem of what happens if you miss and hit a kid playing in the next yard
so some guy mowing his lawn? Better to go the legal route and get some people with power to pay attention to the problem.
I have not advocated tracking down and assassinating the dog.
I have only suggested that the victim actively DEFEND herself
if the beast violently re-news his attack upon her. In that case,
prudence suggests that she aim downward, to use the Earth
as a backstop, or use some other competent backstop.

Its better to HAVE a gun and not need one
than it is to NEED a gun and NOT have one.

David
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I wonder how effective pepper spray would be? In the mean time - before this all gets resolved - would it be helpful to learn how to use and carry pepper spray?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I wonder how effective pepper spray would be?
In the mean time - before this all gets resolved - would it be helpful to learn how to use and carry pepper spray?
I dunno. Maybe it depends on the mood of the beast,
but I have seen police demonstrating use of pepper spray on TV,
as a TEST of its efficacy.
One officer ran up on another one, to stab him with a soft rubber knife,
when the other one shot him full in the face for several seconds with the pepper spray
(which he ALLOWED to happen, by pre-arranged agreement) with no effect.

I take the position that if the animal has the lady lying on the ground,
taking big bites from her leg and swallowing fast,
she shoud have proper defensive emergency equipment (that actually WORKS)
immediately at hand, to survive the situtation.

If she were MY mom, I woud want her to.

( So there, Mame! )

David
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 04:26 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
David, this thread is not about guns so why not try to give this person some HELPFUL advice? She's not going to shoot the damn thing. You guys can discuss weapons elsewhere.

The warfarin/hamburger thing might really be best in such a case.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 04:29 pm
@gungasnake,
dogs can throw up so a really harmful dose may just be yacked up. Rats cant vomit so the anticoagulant stays put and works its mmagic
Mame

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:16 pm
Bear spray might work.
roger

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:32 pm
@Mame,
It might. I wouldn't want to bet my life on it against a pit bull that had it's blood up. Good suggestion, but I wouldn't advise it unless things couldn't possibly get worse.

If our OP is still with us, I would suggest she keep a cell phone handy, and immediately call 911 (in the US) if she ever feels trapped inside the car or house. This assumes animal control has not been immediately helpful.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:18 pm
@pissedmom,
Unfortunately, it may require the dog viciously attacking someone or some other animal to get anything done about it.

It appears Fair Oaks is serviced by Sacramento County Animal Control.

The dog is committing this offense of the Sacramento County Code:

Quote:
8.08.056 Dogs at Large.

No person shall permit or suffer a dog to stray from private property owned or legally possessed by the dog owner or the person who has a right to control the dog unless the dog is restrained by a leash or lead not exceeding eight feet in length, except in the following situations:

1. When the dog is assisting a peace officer who is engaged in law enforcement duties or when the dog is participating in a search and rescue effort at the specific request of a law enforcement authority;

2. When the dog is enrolled in and actually participating in a dog training or obedience course, exhibition, or competition conducted by an organization on private or public property with the permission of the owner or operator of the grounds or facilities;

3. When the dog is assisting the owner or person in charge of livestock in the herding or control of such livestock; or

4. When the dog is accompanying and under the direction of a person engaged in hunting on land which is within a restricted shooting district as defined in Section 9.40.060 of the Sacramento County Code. (SCC 0815 § 2, 1990; SCC 576 § 9, 1983; SCC 544 § 3, 1983.)

Which means it is a "Public Nuisance":

Quote:
8.08.110 Violation a Public Nuisance.

The maintenance of any animal in violation of any provision of this Title or any order of a Hearing Officer issued pursuant to this Title constitutes a public nuisance. (SCC 0815 § 2, 1990.)

In addition ...

Quote:
8.08.050 Prohibited Conduct.

No owner of any animal, wild or domestic, shall permit or suffer the animal to do any of the following:

1. Be at large (excepting the domestic cat);

When you write your letter, you might point out to your neighbor that even if he does not technically hold title to the dog, he is considered the "owner" for purposes of the Sac Co. Code:

Quote:
8.04.220 Owner.

“Owner” means the primary or responsible person who: (1) possesses, has title to, an interest in, harbors, controls or has custody of an animal; and (2) feeds or otherwise provides care or sustenance to the animal for thirty (30) consecutive days or more on property located within the unincorporated territory of the County. (SCC 1356 § 7, 2007: SCC 0958 § 3, 1994; SCC 0815 § 2, 1990.)

You may need to educate your Animal Control Officer that he/she can write a citation to your neighbor.

Be sure you make it known that you are willing to testify against your neighbor.

I would encourage you to continue to complain, as much as you can. Take pictures, and write down when these incident occur. If you aren't getting cooperation from Animal Control (who are usually very lazy and largely incompetent, based upon my personal experience), you may need to raise a stink with the head of Code Enforcement for the County, or perhaps his/her boss, or the County Commissioners. Be sure that you have documented the incidents, and your calls to Animal Control due to the dog being at large.

It appears the Sac. Co. Code has very little teeth (pardon). There just isn't much there to help Animal Control deal with this problem. Evidently, the County Commissioners do not believe pit bulls (or other vicious dogs) are that much of a problem.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:23 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
It might. I wouldn't want to bet my life on it against a pit bull that had it's blood up.
Good suggestion, but I wouldn't advise it unless things couldn't possibly get worse.

If our OP is still with us, I would suggest she keep a cell phone handy,
and immediately call 911 (in the US) if she ever feels trapped inside the car or house.
This assumes animal control has not been immediately helpful.
Yes. While he is eating her leg,
she can dial the call; maybe in between his bites.
roger

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 01:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Assuming you read the words ". . .if she ever feels trapped inside the car or house." we might also assume she is not trapped inside either with the pit. Um?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 04:23 am
@roger,
Predatory animals can be stealthy,
when thay stalk (while thay r waiting for ordinances to be enacted).

Pissedmom shoud be ready
to give him the 1 gun salute, if he does so.

David
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 08:04 am
@farmerman,
I'd still try the hamburger/warfarin idea first and if the dog was still around a week later, either an arrow or the 22. I'd feel better about that than I would reading about some kid being mauled or killed two months down the road if I'd had the ability to prevent it.

The ONLY halfway rational reason for pit bulls existence which I've ever heard of is hog hunting which does not go on in urban or suburban areas. Anybody who'd keep a dog like the one described here in an urban or suburban area is an asshole and he and the dog both deserve whatever happens to them.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:59 am
If the dog is attacking, or is intending to attack, pepper spray will just piss it off.

I'd file all the necessary paperwork and get the dog put down. It is obviously not a friendly, suburban pet and while I do not advocate the banning or villianizing of a breed, I also feel that the safety of a human is more important.
0 Replies