Chancellor Angela Merkel Just paid America a Visit, does anyone Care?

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:34 pm
She last night was the State Diner, she has been awarded America's highest civilian award, she is the first German Chancellor to visit since 1992, but do Americans care? A major Frankfurt paper seems to think not
Quote:
7. June 2011
The President said the biggest economy in Europe is coming to Washington to visit, and brings them in the caravan, with almost half the cabinet. You will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the country. And there is a state banquet at the White House. Barack Obama's time in office that honor only the President of India, China and Mexico had been given. In the American media, but the day was the arrival of the chancellor and her husband Joachim Sauer hardly read a word or hear.

Germany, which is from an American perspective, is currently a dangerous bacterium on German bean sprouts, the first Berlin innocent Spanish vegetable farmers have moved to the tomato and cucumber. And Germany, which is an energy and nuclear policy, castigated by even the liberal-left daily newspaper "Washington Post" in a comment recently as strange that climate damaging and "driven by panic" was.

After all, a local newspaper brought in the "Embassy Row" a note on the visit of the Chancellor - next to the message that Prime Minister Bruce Golding of Jamaica is currently in Washington. The news channel CNN believed already in April knowing that Mrs Merkel's visit would be "the first of a German head of state" since the state visit of the then Federal President Richard von Weizsacker in 1992. Leaders of parliamentary democracies are often confused in America because we are so used to the presidential system, chaired by the President at the same time the government. From the White House itself was nothing to hear in advance about the visit Mrs Merkel - there was none of the usual background interviews for the press corps, no interviews.
http://www.faz.net/artikel/C31325/kanzlerin-merkel-in-washington-schweigen-und-ein-staatsbankett-30433705.html

By all accounts Obama was a good host, still I have to think that this visit will not do the German/American relationship any good, as americans make it pretty clear we dont give a **** about Germany. Coming after Bush's "old Europe" comments and policy this aint good. Or is the problem that she is too boring of a figure to watch? That she is a woman?

djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:42 pm
i couldn't give a **** if any foreign leader ever came to canada, and **** holding any kind of summit here (G8/G20 type ****), all that crap should take place on a specially built island somewhere in the middle of an ocean, and when all the world leaders are gathered together, the island should be nuked
roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:49 pm
@djjd62,
Bravo!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:55 pm
Besides Obama and Angela Merkel had a grand old time...

(kind of weird that the White House doesn't know that red wine glasses are larger and rounder)
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-223123-breitwandaufmacher-fycr.jpg

(well, maybe it was good that Angela's glass wasn't so big)
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-223090-galleryV9-jkgu.jpg

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Both glasses look clear to me.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Besides Obama and Angela Merkel had a grand old time..
Whom ever of the Germans who still like Merkel are I am sure tickled that she had such a grand time. However, I think that the take away is that what was thought to be a high honor for the German leader (and thus by proxy for the German people) from the Americans is in fact a yawn from the American people.
talk72000

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nearly half og the Midwest are of German descent so it is an important visit. Elvis Presley's father was of German gypsy descent.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:19 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Nearly half og the Midwest are of German descent so it is an important visit. Elvis Presley's father was of German gypsy descent.
The depends upon how far you go back, I for instance am from the midwest but I need to go back three generations to get to the Schumaker/Caviezel/Weir roots.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
The Germans don't care either, as they anticipate to have a different
chancellor and party elected in 2013.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

The Germans don't care either, as they anticipate to have a different
chancellor and party elected in 2013.
Merkel's flip flop into the panicked shut-down of the nuclear industry has been read by many as a desperation move to try to salvage the next election for the party. Sad times for a guy who generally admires the Germans.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, she lost her shirt being favorable to bailing out the Greek.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:07 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

In my opinion, the vast majority of Americans of German descent only think of their German heritage as something that allows them to feel happy at an Oktoberfest. Otherwise, they are just plain Americans like many of us. They realize that more than a century usually separates them from some ancestors that decided to come to the New World. Today they are Americans. And, if they ever visit Germany, they find out that they are considered Americans, not Germans.

Again in my opinion, Germany to Americans is today valued for its well made products. It is not a political adversary. The orchiectomy of six decades ago was totally successful. There has been no recurrence of the cancer. We saved the patient, and it is today living nicely. That is why America is a good country.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:14 am
@Foofie,
I actually agree with Foofie here!
engineer

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:17 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm surprised the German newspaper cares so much. The US typically doesn't get excited about such visits in general. I'm not sure what spin they are trying for here. Is it "US doesn't care for us" or "US/German relations on the rocks" or "Dumb Americans don't value allies" or "Merkel is useless"?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:31 am
@engineer,
engineer,
Americans rarely care who is visiting the White House, it doesn't matter if it's Merkel, Sarkozy, Hu Jintao or Cristina Fernandez De Kirchiner. Very few Americans care about international politics, heck they don't even care about their own, so it's understandable.

However, other nations are different - state visits are highly publicized and
they're very much aware and interested in the politic of other countries, especially EU countries.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:36 am
@CalamityJane,
Wonder what happened to her? Surely she didn't get drunk from one little glass of whatever was in there?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:41 am

We don't care and anticipate to have a different president and party elected in 2012.
revelette

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:54 am
@H2O MAN,
Like nothing embarrassing ever happened with the last republican president and Chancellor Merkel?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:00 am
@engineer,
Does anyone know (without checking) who the last international guest - before Merkel - was to the White House? I know that I couldn't tell you who's come to visit the Canadian P.M

edit - just asked the nearest 3 people to my desk - they've got no idea, or interest either - in what foreign leader has visited Canada recently. Lots of guesses but no one was confident.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:24 am
@ehBeth,
The last official state dinner was for Hu Jintao.
0 Replies