Pete Rose in/out

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:22 am
What gets me, too, is that the confession is obviously attuned to the release of his book. But he confessed to Selig over a year ago!

If he really wanted to get the whole thing behind him, he'd've come out of the meeting with Selig, called a press conference, and told the world that (a) he bet on baseball, (b) he has told the Commissioner in a private meeting and (c) he's sorry for what happened.

Right now, it just looks like a cheap ploy to sell his third (!) autobiography.

What new revelations will turn up for his next autobiography?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:54 am
Where's the compassion? Where's the forgiveness?

Where's the love (goddammit)?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
All used up, pdiddie, all used up.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 12:22 pm
Let him in.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:16 pm
Explain why again, since we've looked at the rules and he obviously does not qualify. It doesn't matter, according to rule 6, how many records he has. Did you read that?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
Well, I looked at rule 6 and it seemed to me that the extraordinary achievements they were speaking of were single game or single season achievements, such as .400 batting average, 5 homers in a game etc. Pete Rose stretched these extraordinary achievements over a 20 year career. If you wanted to point to a rule and keep him out, I'd use the one about character and integrity.

I guarantee that after all you purist die out, he will get in, and that is that.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:46 pm
Right. When the purists die out, character and integrity won't matter anymore. Oh brave new world!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 06:10 pm
They will still matter, but they will not be the the first issue in Hall of Fame consideration.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 06:25 pm
Since most of us old-time purists will long outlive Pete Rose, he won't care that he's not getting in after he dies.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:05 pm
Yep, he can still continue to charge $89 for a brand new baseball with his signature on it, 'til then.

What a scoundrel!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:28 pm
In my lifetime, he'll make it in. I'm sure of that.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:07 am
Child of the Light wrote:
Well, I looked at rule 6 and it seemed to me that the extraordinary achievements they were speaking of were single game or single season achievements, such as .400 batting average, 5 homers in a game etc. Pete Rose stretched these extraordinary achievements over a 20 year career. If you wanted to point to a rule and keep him out, I'd use the one about character and integrity.

I guarantee that after all you purist die out, he will get in, and that is that.

just for the record, rose never hit .400 or smacked 5 homers in a game...

being an outstanding hitter over a 20 year career does not make rose immune to the rules, however trivial they may seem.

Child, you are probably right. c.hustle will eventually snake his way in. perhaps the next commissioner will cave in, and put the whole sad story to rest. personally i hope it does not happen in my lifetime.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
Last guy that hit .400 was Ted Williams...unless you want to count this season on my PS2 with ManRam.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:53 pm
Piffka wrote:
such as a batting average of .400 or more for one (1) year, pitching a perfect game or similar outstanding achievement shall be permitted.

You had the bold in the wrong position on rule 5.

Rose got caught, that's all. He still deserves to be in the Hall. Whether you like him or not, he was an icon in baseball and that's what the hall should represent. NOT it's own moral judgements on what someone does after they retire from playing.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:59 pm
I wasn't saying that Rose hit .400, or hit 5 homers in a game.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:26 pm
The fact of the matter is, from what I've been reading, the sports writers are less kindly disposed toward Rose now than they were before last week's brouhaha. And they're the Hall of Fame voters.

In other words, Rose's efforts here seem to be falling flat. Sorry guys. As for "He'll get in when you old farts are dead," well, the Veterans Committee is made up of former players, and they're even less fond of Rose's behavior than the writers.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:31 pm
I don't think Rose gets in the Hall unless Bud Selig gives him some kind of blessing, and perhaps not even then (based on what D'art and others have posted).

I'm not laying 50% odds (bad pun, I know) that Pete gets in in your lifetime, Child.

IMO (again) he should already be there.

I'm just not an Old Testament kinda guy...
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:03 pm
Baseball nearly died after the Black Sox scandal in 1919. That's the reason for the no gambling rule. Once public trust is gone, baseball is dead.

That's the reason for the rule.

Rose has his records and no one is suggesting they be taken away from him.

If he had the best interests of baseball in mind and not his own interests, he would accept this ban graciously. But then he wouldn't be Pete Rose.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:18 pm
So let's think about this... He was in charge of a team, put people on & off the playing list, chose who played, when and where and then bet or didn't bet on the outcome.... and now says that he's not the kind of guy to really say he's sorry... it's just not in his makeup and there are people who think that he should be honored?

<thunk>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:56 pm
<thunk> is the same sound I made after reading your post, and many of the other posts here.

Is baseball more than a game? I know some people would worship baseball and it could be considered a religion. IMO, it is a game.

Should a baseball player be judged for their life or for their playing? Who then decides the moral character of a person. Especially once they are out of the game.

Other names of far less character have been mentioned in this forum. Ted Williams and Ty Cobb come to mind.

Pete Roses entry should be judged on his career as a baseball player from 1963 to 1986. 18 years as an all star at 4 different positions. 10 times in the top 10 MVP. 3 batting titles, 2 gold gloves. He is the all-time major league leader in hits at 4256, Games played and at bats.

It's a stupid rule and should be repealed.
0 Replies