Which filmgoer you personally know is the most hopeless?

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 10:03 pm
@raprap,
Surely nobody can argue with that?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
People hold strong opinions about everything. Love for movies is quite subjective.

But is there someone in your life (friend/relative/coworker) that is too stubborn and he or she holds such a strangely shortsighted opinion that it hurts?

I have a friend who only likes "uplifting" films with happy endings.
You have no idea how depressing that can be!
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:38 am
@msolga,
I can watch anything but bad and dumb movies. I hate film snobs. I wanna key their Beemers.
dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 07:26 am
@tsarstepan,
Ha!

Who'd have figured....Iron Man is on teev right now!
Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
... The same can be said for older generations who make the case that they don't make films like they used to....

It's funny you should say that of some older folks. I don't happen to be one of them.

I think what it is, is that tastes change for starters. Also, filming techniques and technologies, as well, as more realistic outlooks and accurancies.

It doesn't even need to be an old movie. Just look at old TV series, and not even that old.

With the original Hawaii Five-O series, the entire forensic department was depicted to be one person. Not nowadays.

Attitudes have changed, especially towards women on film and TV.

I'm watching the old Mission: Impossible series, at the moment. I saw them when they first came out. They were exciting and a big deal. Now, I still like them, but for younger generations, perhaps they seem quaint.

Some older movies and TV stand the test of time, and some don't, irregardless if you're an old film buff or not. Some new ones are just cheesy, never mind old stuff.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:08 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
Some older movies and TV stand the test of time, and some don't, irregardless if you're an old film buff or not. Some new ones are just cheesy, never mind old stuff.

That's precisely why this thread exists. There are too many people who disagree with this reasonable statement.

Some people live in the past. Their choice of culture to consume is merely dressed up sentimentality.

And there are people who don't have the patience to dive into the choices that predate there own personal timeline. Surely some of the deemed classics might not be worthwhile but its worth the mining expedition to dig through the coal in order to discover the diamonds that remain.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I can watch anything but bad and dumb movies. I hate film snobs. I wanna key their Beemers.

I'm lucky I don't own a car.
http://th128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/emoticons_bucket/th_phew.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
heh, heh..

I'm a sort of film snob, I guess, there being genres that don't interest me. On the other hand, my interest can span the whole spectrum of movies' ages.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, I'm not certain what you mean by your title. Are you talking about the theater or TV? Can you explain a little about "..filmgoer and hopeless.."

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:31 pm
Sometimes I won't watch a specific film, because the hype has turned me off, or else there is an actor I can't stand to look at. I did not watch Godfather when it was new. When finally I did have a look, I could not get into the film. Ended falling asleep.

Then when Bruce Willis had his TV series, there was something about the perpetual smirk on his face that made me not like to see him act. But, lately, I have outgrown that predjudice and I have caught up on some of his movies. (Still don't like the Sixth Sense, however).
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 02:06 pm
@Letty,
Some moviegoers (no person of age, generation, gender, etc... is targeted) hold very limited opinions on the subject of movies. I call them hopeless if they are so stubborn with their mostly uneducated opinions that they can not possibly be moved into thinking otherwise.

EXAMPLE:
Ask a certain person if they seen certain films that seem to contradict their set-in-concrete opinions and of course being inexperienced, when they deny having seen these potential opinion changing examples, they choose to ignore the idea that they're reasoning is in fact possibly flawed. Thusly, they continue with their dogmatic rants laced with some or all of the flawed canon laws of the stubborn moviegoer listed in the first post of this thread.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE:
A person who strongly holds the opinion that all independent films are artsy-fartsy dramas based dripping with highbrow sophistication and genteel sense of humor clearly hasn't seen Kevin Smith's Clerks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/.

Recommend this lowbrow comedy to this kind of person and you'd be quickly ignored and their rant against indie films will continue unabated.

~~
This thread isn't to condemn certain individuals who for instance hold a principle against say... violence in movies for instance if they have an actual logic, reasoning, and proof to back up this boycott.

But if a person's sole reason against violence in movies is something on the lines that all movies that feature violence, glorify the act of violence, then their argument is most likely oversimplified and not backed by the facts. Many movies featuring violent actions in fact don't glorify the violent acts and the perpetrators of these acts but show the devastating consequences of such acts.

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 02:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
You are open minded to actually give something a try even after your instincts told you not to bother. You sampled these cultural bits and proved that your instincts were correct. That's all.

You are far from hopeless Edgar. Very Happy

And by the way? I found THE Godfather to be one of the most overrated movies ever created. That and its dullard sequel as well.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 02:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for the detailed explanation, tsar. Very well done. I awakened the other night and saw this movie and was fascinated with it. I think it has to do with history and the reality.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059635/plotsummary

Having gotten a double major in under grad school, I enjoy seeing movies that depict history.

Guess you know who that guy was. Razz
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 03:23 am
@Letty,
I bet Rasputin was a hopeless filmgoer himself. Something on the lines of if a movie didn't feature a tribute to Rasputin himself then it wasn't worth watching.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:08 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I know someone who believes that:
all animated films are kiddie films;
all black and white films are outdated and boring;
all comic book movies are adolescent fodder;
all films made before _____ (insert year here) are not worthy of their time;
all films made after _____ (insert year here) are not worthy of their time;
all Hollywood produced films are garbage;
all indie/foreign produced films are pretentious;
all sequels/prequels are worthless;
all silent films are quaint and irrelevant;
because his or her love for bad movies is beyond help;

I've run into people who probably have some or all of those traits. That doesn't bother me. You don't like black & white films? That's a shame, because you're missing some great movies, but it's no skin off my back. I do, however, have a problem with people who, for instance, won't watch black & white films or "old" movies (i.e. anything before 1990), but who nevertheless claim to know something about film. They're the ones who put The Shawshank Redemption at the top of the IMDB top 250 list and who ranked Casablanca below Fight Club. Frankly, someone who ranks The Matrix (number 23) ahead of Citizen Kane (number 37) should have their computer confiscated. They're clearly a danger to themselves and to others.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 02:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
Sometimes I'm in awe of how well you write, joefromchicago. Ever tried screenwriting? Thinking.... perhaps a baseball film.. I know that's been done, but, hey.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 02:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks. I've always thought that a good film could be made about the 1908 Cubs, but I'm not the guy to write it.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 02:42 pm
I don't know about hopeless, but recently I read about a lady who took her elderly father to see Lord of the Rings, after he'd nagged her to take him several times.
After they'd been watching the film for half an hour or so, he leant across to her and whispered "When does all the Irish dancing start?"
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

IMDB top 250 list and who ranked Casablanca below Fight Club. Frankly, someone who ranks The Matrix (number 23) ahead of Citizen Kane (number 37) should have their computer confiscated. They're clearly a danger to themselves and to others.

Maybe my IMDb account was hacked. I can not recognize whether the 6/10 vote for Citizen Kane and the 10/10 vote for The Matrix in my IMDb vote history are my actual votes.
Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 01:34 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Ha!

Who'd have figured....Iron Man is on teev right now!

But it bored me after a bit and I went to bed.

he looked like Tinkerbell when he was flying...cute!

If anyone could turn me onto a comic based film it would be Downey Jr. (melts...)...but he didn't.
0 Replies