107 ways to cheer yourself up ..... on the smell of an oily rag!

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 05:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What does "freezing cold" mean in Oz?

Probably something laughable to you & Ceili, Setanta.
It is waking up to go to work to something like this:
Quote:
At 6am, the coldest suburbs were Viewbank, Essendon and Scoresby at -.03C, 1C and 1C respectively.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/melbourne-wakes-to-coldest-may-morning-in-three-years/story-fn7x8me2-1226052967962

Now that is COLD by our standards. Especially so early into winter.
Then, if we're really lucky, we'll also have an icy wind blowing in from the Antarctic all day. Serious brrrrrr!

What makes it even colder for me is that if I turn on the ducted heating, my cat (who is still sleeping early in the mornings when I must get up early - half her luck!) becomes hysterical at the sound. Then there's all hell to pay! (I know what you'll most likely say .... get rid of the cat & solve the problem - that that is not a realistic option.)

I've been reading the comments & suggestions here with great interest ...
I'm now considering taking up pool, growing my hair to have a pony tail like Roberta's & cuddling a lot more people for winter warmth.
Rocky, growing plants under fluorescent lighting would mean that I'd have to purchase the lighting first .... though I can certainly see some very interesting (plant) possibilities there!

Any other fun on the smell of an oily rag budget suggestions , anyone?
Love to hear them.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:03 pm
@msolga,
Hugging a friend always cheers me up.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:33 pm
@msolga,
K, that's cold. Technically not freezing but I'm not a fan of the cold either, so I'll commiserate. We are expecting a frost tonight. Snow's been sighted a little bit north of us. This is going to piss off the farmers...
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:33 pm
@msolga,
We get winds from the Arctic, but they cross a lot of land before they get here. Usually, an arctic air mass settles on the prairies, and then warm air will cross the mountains from the Pacific, and create what is called a chinook in Alberta. The effect of the chinook is actually to warm up Alberta, but when it mixes with the arctic air mass which usually inhabits the prairies, it can cause what is called in the East as an Alberta Clipper. It roars into the eastern provinces and the northeastern United States, and temperatures can drop by 10 to 15 degrees centigrade in as little as half a day.

Otherwise, we just have arctic air masses that move south in the winter time, and sit for weeks or even months over the land. You get used to it. And that's the key--what you are used to. In Florida in the winter time, the temperature can drop from the 80s (fahrenheit) to the low 60s after the gun goes down. People there begin shivering and complaining about the cold, and put on a heavy coat. Me, i walk around with no coat on when the weather is as warm as the 60s. It's all in what you're used to.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:41 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
K, that's cold.

Oh phew.
I'm glad that met met your approval, Ceili.
I was certain I'd be told I was some sort of wuss or something! So I tried to sound really, really convincing. Wink Smile
Snow, on the other hand, is a total mystery.

The question is: how does on enjoy one's self on the cheap in weather like this?
Run around a lot & keep the blood circulating, I guess.

Gotta run now. Appointment for a haircut. Back later on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:41 pm
@Roberta,
Love it. I ponytail once in a while, did as a girl. I remember then worrying about ponytail hair dents, but never mind.

I think real pony tails were two - one per side of the head, but no one wanted to call a single one horse tail and so...

Just my take.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:57 pm
@Setanta,
That's funny. I've never heard of the Alberta Clipper.
We had a weather guy, an institution, here for years. He was a local actor, radio show host and all round man about town. He dyed his hair flaming red years after his hair could take the dye. Smoked Dunhills. I used to work at a cigarette/camera counter in a weird store, obviously. He was a regular, poor fella, all anyone every talked about whilst waiting in line with him was the weather. Must have been terribly boring. Anywho... He used to call one weather phenomenon the Idaho High. Sounds awfully familiar to what your describing though, but I kinda like his version better. Ya know, the one where we don't get blamed for the damned frigid air.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:59 pm
@Ceili,
I looked up the Alberta Clipper to make sure i got the story straight, and one of the things they wrote was that since the chinook warms up Alberta, most folks there don't know what the Alberta Clipper is.
Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:05 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not disputing what they call it, and it's true, if you said that around here, most people would think your talking about a boat. lol
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:35 pm
@msolga,
You inspired me.

Set came back from walking the dogs. Told me Eva was on her stoop.

I grabbed a light jacket and ran over. Hugged Eva and sat down on the stoop and we talked for about an hour. Then Nev crossed the street - saw us - came over and hugged us - then she sat down and we all talked for another half hour til the mosquitos started bothering us.

We hadn't done a stoop sit-and-chat since the end of last summer.

We all hugged again and I came home.

Thanks for the inspiration MsO.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 11:41 pm
@ehBeth,
No, quite the opposite, ehBeth!
You & Irishk have inspired me!

I'd never considered the hug/cuddle option as an inexpensive pleasure before now & I'm going to get right into it!
Following a bit of practise from willing volunteers to become more comfortable about the idea.
I'm pretty good with showing heaps of affection to animals, but not so great with humans ... unless they are very near & dear.
Sadly, I have been a rather reserved person in regard to such things, compared to you two.
But now is the time to change all that! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 11:56 pm
OK, el cheapo Saturday evening option for tonight:
Dinner at my friend C's place.
Consisting of (for her) a pre-packaged dinner from one of those weight loss outlets. She's determined to lose weight & is having terrific success at it.
Me, I've decided to take a serving of last night's dinner (yum!), I cooked & heat it up there.
She offered to cook for me, but it didn't seem fair, exactly, that she cook something for me that she wasn't going to eat herself. So I said no to that.
Entertainment: series 1 of Doc Martin, which neither of us have seen in its entirety before. Terrific program! Love it. Smile
Cost: nil. Borrowed from the local library.

Any other brilliant ideas for Saturday evenings on a tight budget?
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 02:24 am
@msolga,
Being with friends.

Ive hidden my gold in the garden near where the essential oils are secreted onto the rags.

Plant the winter crops then go for a long walk.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 11:21 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
... Sadly, I sometimes find the weird British "reality" shows I can get now weirdly hypnotic. Like cleaning shows. ...

With us it's the renovation / handyman type shows. Laughing

msolga wrote:
... Entertainment: series 1 of Doc Martin, which neither of us have seen in its entirety before. Terrific program! Love it. Smile
Cost: nil. Borrowed from the local library. ...

Yes, my wife and I can highly recommend as well!

We also borrow DVDs from our local library, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 11:25 am
@msolga,
I go into the woods when I need cheering. I take pictures as well. These are habitual though. I know what you mean about getting out of one's comfort zone. Sometimes I hike deeply into the woods alone which freaks me out. But when I really want to get out of my comfort zone I may go to a movie alone, walk around the city, or try a new restaurant.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 12:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
lots of stuff will grow indoors with a little fluorescent lighting.

I've heard that, Rocky. Is it good stuff?
0 Replies