The God Gulf

au1929

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 10:47 am
The God Gulf

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Published: January 7, 2004
Religion may preach peace and tolerance, yet it's hard to think of anything that — because of human malpractice — has been more linked to violence and malice around the world. And now as we enter a new campaign year, it's time to brace ourselves for a new round of religious warfare and hypocrisy at home.
America is riven today by a "God gulf" of distrust, dividing churchgoing Republicans from relatively secular Democrats. A new Great Awakening is sweeping the country, with Americans increasingly telling pollsters that they believe in prayer and miracles, while only 28 percent say they believe in evolution. All this is good news for Bush Republicans, who are in tune with heartland religious values, and bad news for Dean Democrats who don't know John from Job.
So expect Republicans to wage religious warfare by trotting out God as the new elephant in the race, and some Democrats to respond with hypocrisy, by affecting deep religious convictions. This campaign could end up as a tug of war over Jesus.
Over the holidays, Vice President Dick Cheney's Christmas card symbolized all that troubles me about the way politicians treat faith — not as a source for spiritual improvement, but as a pedestal to strut upon. Mr. Cheney's card is dominated by a quotation by Benjamin Franklin: "And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?"
It's hard not to see that as a boast that the U.S. has become the global superpower because God is on our side. And "empire" suggests Iraq: is Mr. Cheney contending that in the dispute over the latest gulf war, God was pulling for the White House and fulminating at Democrats and others in Beelzebub's camp?
Moreover, Mr. Cheney's card wrenches Ben Franklin's quotation from its context and upends the humility that Franklin stood for. If you read the full speeches Franklin gave to the Constitutional Convention, including the one with the sparrow line, you see that Franklin is not bragging that God is behind him but rather the opposite — warning that the framers face so many difficulties they need all the help they can get, including prayer.
Meanwhile, Howard Dean is grasping for faith in a way that is just as tasteless as Mr. Cheney's Christmas card. Dr. Dean bragged to reporters that he knows much about the Bible — and proceeded to say that his favorite New Testament book is Job. Anyone who cites Job as a New Testament book should be scolded not just for religious phoniness but also for appalling ignorance of Western civilization — on a par with Mr. Bush's calling Greeks "Grecians."
After talking to Mr. Bush's longtime acquaintances, I'm convinced that his religious convictions are deeply felt and fairly typical in the U.S. Mr. Bush says the jury is still out on evolution, but he has also said that he doesn't take every word in the Bible as literally true. To me, nonetheless, it seems hypocritical of Mr. Bush to claim (as he did in the last campaign) that Jesus is his favorite philosopher and then to finance tax breaks for the rich by cutting services for the poor. If Dr. Dean should read up on Job, Mr. Bush should take a look at the Sermon on the Mount.
With Karl Rove's help, Mr. Bush has managed a careful balance, maintaining good ties with the Christian right without doing so publicly enough to terrify other voters. For example, Mr. Bush doesn't refer in his speeches to Jesus or Christ, but he sends reassuring messages to fellow evangelicals in code ("wonder-working power" in his State of the Union address last year alluded to a hymn).
Republicans are in trouble when the debate moves to the issues because their policies often favor a wealthy elite. But they have the advantage when voters choose based on values, for here Republicans are populists and Democrats more elitist.
As we move into the religious wars, I wish we could recall how Abe Lincoln achieved moral clarity without moral sanctimony. Though often criticized for not being religious enough, Lincoln managed both of the key kinds of morality — in personal behavior, which conservatives care about, and in seeking social justice, which liberals focus on. To me, each seems incomplete without the other.
Or there's the real Ben Franklin — not the one counterfeited by Mr. Cheney — who warned each of the framers of the Constitution to "doubt a little of his own infallibility." That would be a useful text for Mr. Cheney's Christmas card next year.

How influential do you think the religious factor will be in the upcoming presidential election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 596 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
Re: The God Gulf
au1929 wrote:

"..."empire" suggests Iraq"... Suggests to whom? This is nothing but silly nonsense that Kristoff dreamed up on his own.

Quote:

Cheney's card rips Franklin's quote from it's contect??? It is just possible that Kristof rips Cheney's card from it's context.

Quote:

Maybe Kristof should take that quote to heart and apply it to himself???

Quote:
How influential do you think the religious factor will be in the upcoming presidential election?

I doubt the religious factor will have much to do with the election at all. It's silly writings like Kristof's that attempt to paint the religious issue as a major key that will affect the election. There is a lot more uproar in the press about religion being mentioned (witness the comments regarding Dean lately..) than there is actual talk of religion by the politicians themselves.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:28 am
Quote:

Far more influential than it ought to be, but likely less so than many liberals fear. I think that polls which suggest a great turn toward religion in the United States are likely worded in such a manner as to create an impression desired by those commissioning the poll. The author here writes to "A new Great Awakening," which refers to the evangelical movement of the early 18th century in England and America. In England, it produced a fairly permanent enthusiasm for social activism based upon evangelical principles; and, it produced Methodism. In America, it produced religious and civil strife. Franklin would have know this well, having lived through the era. The Congregationalists had a good grip on New England, and Congregationalism was the legally established religion in Massachusetts and Connecticutt. The itinerant "revivalist" preachers who fueled "The Great Awakening" were literally hunted down and jailed in those states, and the resultant political divide in Connecticutt was so strong that it formed the basis for the political struggle which arose at the time of the Stamp Act Crisis thirty years later. In Massachusetts, as in Connecticutt, the authorities of the established church used the power of the state to run off or jail revivalist preachers and to discipline their adherents--but the Congregational community in that colony was large enough and powerful enough to survive the experience without much damage--those who practiced religions outside the established church were sufficiently few as not to raise a cry of anguish over repression, and the Congregationalist of the "New Light" often simply went elsewhere. But in Connecticutt, it became a bitter and protracted struggle for political power, with the "Old Light" believers trimuphing, narrowly, and assuring a residue of bitterness to poison the colony's politics for generations.

The Presbyterians and the Baptists were similarly divided. So i doubt that this "New Great Awakening" is nearly so widely embraced as the author would wish to imply. It is entirely likely that the responses which seem to confirm such a conclusion are actually the product of "Old Light" believers who resentfully assert that their belief is as genuine as the squeaky wheels the Republicans are currently attempting to grease.

The other lesson from pre-Revolutionary America is that there were many religiously devout people in America who were completely unaffected by the revivalist movement. In Pennsylvania, there were large numbers of German immigrants for whom Congregationalism, Presbyterianism and the Baptists had never had any appeal. There were alos many Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers who had never been a part of the Presbyterian "mainstream" of the colonies, and who were not really affected. The intinerant evangelists were not preaching any doctrine substantially different from the Scots-Irish Presbyterian preachers they preferred, whose fervor had been kept at a high pitch by the unfortunate "troubles" of that sore-beset land.

Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas were largely Anglican, but the established church in those colonies had never attempted to throw its weight around--they simply had the same system of giving "livings" to Episcopalian ministers as existed in England. The advent of the Puritans and the civil wars in England had effectively created a division of "high church" and "low church," but without strife in America--the revivalism did not make big inroads in the southern colonies where the majority of the American population then resided.

In fact, i am rather reminded of the at first vigorous, and later desparate attempts of adherents of popular relgions to extirpate christianity in the Roman Empire. I would suggest that the religiously minded American is done a disservice if automatically identified with the charismatic. I would suggest that the charismatics, the so-called "fundys" represent the rear guard of religious conviction which feels that it might be overwhelmed by new ideas--much as the Mithraic believers in ancient Rome likely felt about the christians. Finally, i would note that as people age, they revert to the convictions of their youth, clinging more stubbornly--and that the allegedly "greatest generation" now displays a devotion which was more noticeable by its absence during the days of their youth.

None of which means that i don't think the religiously fervent don't bear watching--they do. We will survive this in good order, of that i am sure. But we will only maintain the freedom of plurality through vigilance to protect our rights.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
It is not religion,, it is the world view that the religion represents that will be the key to the election. Religion is spreading in part because an increasing poisonous economy and culture is leaving more people feeling marginal and insecure (whether they actually are is an other issue). People turn to religion to validate themselves and the understanding of what the world should be, when the secular institutions begin to fail them. The Bush administration, and the neoconservitive movement in general, play on this very successfully. Thus the religious factor.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 03:31 pm
God
According to Pat Robersome, God is a Republican. Hmm...God is on the side of the wealthy? I better get busy and get wealthy so God will shine his bounty on me too.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 03:39 pm
I think it would take a lot more than money for that to happen! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies