can isiah thomas and LARRY BROWN save the knicks?

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:16 am
technically speaking, the season's a success for isiah -- they clinched a Playoff Spot
in reality, they shouldn't be too proud about squeaking in at the 7 slot of a weak division...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:34 am
Region Philbis wrote:
they knocked off indiana last night! isiah got revenge on bird for firing him last summer.

Good for Thomas! Razz
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:45 am
Miller wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:
they knocked off indiana last night! isiah got revenge on bird for firing him last summer.

Good for Thomas! Razz

Yes good for him, he has put together a team that is barely making the playoffs. Bird on the other hand has the Pacers frontrunners in The East.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:52 am
Isaiah has really done a lot for the knicks so far.

Right now their record is 37-42.

Last year they ended up 37-45.

Wow, what a vast f*cking improvement.

They have a lot of work to do, I think.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:01 am
Hah! Maybe one day they will learn not to give old big men big contracts. Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:30 am
tim thomas auditions for knicks enforcer... now there's a reason to watch the game tonight Exclamation
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 01:23 pm
They're a bunch of little girls. They will be manhandled and lose again. Hopefully one of them will retaliate and get there ass kicked. I can't wait until the Knicks get a team again.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
swept Evil or Very Mad
if he was smart, isiah's 1st move should be to go get kenyon martin.
that guy single-handedly made sure there wasn't a game 5.
at least the last 2 games were winnable...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:59 am
heard a rumor this morning that made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up (and not in a good way):

43-year old dennis rodman will play for the knicks next year.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:10 am
Region Philbis wrote:
heard a rumor this morning that made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up (and not in a good way):

43-year old dennis rodman will play for the knicks next year.

Must have been on Howard Stern. Surprised

I think he's too old to make much of a contribution. Better to give the time to Sweetney, Kurt Thomas and be in the sweepstakes for Rasheed Wallace or Chris Webber.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:23 am
'Toine will be a Knick or a Sixer in 2004-05
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:36 am
Shaq-Attack in Miamiiii
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:39 am
T-Mac in H-Town!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
so they're in 1st place in the atlantic div, 3 games over .500 -- for the 1st time since the end of the 2000-01 season.
marbury looked unstoppable against the TWolves the other night.
not bad considering the starting 2 (crawford) is on the DL...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
3 weeks later... they've lost 5 straight, 9 outta 10, and coach wilkens is abandoning the ship...
herb williams gets an audition, moving over from his assistant coach chair...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:02 am
Down to business
Brown meets with Knicks' owner; formal offer next?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Knicks owner James Dolan of Cablevision met Sunday night with prospective coach Larry Brown, who had wanted to speak first with interim coach Herb Williams.

The visit to Brown's home in East Hampton, N.Y., by Dolan and team president Isiah Thomas represented the next step in the Knicks' wooing of Brown, a pursuit that figures to draw to a conclusion in the next few days.

"I'm not going to comment on how it went," Brown said afterward.

The Knicks had not formally offered the job to Brown as of Saturday, but the implied message from Thomas was clear: The job is Brown's if he wants it.

Brown had said he wanted to speak to Williams before speaking to Dolan, but Williams was out of town for the weekend and Dolan was in the Hamptons. Those logistics made Dolan the second Knicks official to get a private audience with Brown.

"We're going to go to dinner tomorrow somewhere in New York with Herb Williams," Brown told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It's important for me to talk to him."

Williams, who has been asked by the Knicks to stay publicly silent, did not return a call to his cell phone.

Williams has been accepting of his tenuous job status throughout the spring and summer, first when the Knicks made a pitch to Phil Jackson, and now during their serenading of Brown.

Williams spent 18 years in the NBA, including seven with the Knicks, and was one of New York's captains the last time the franchise reached the NBA Finals in 1999. He coached the Knicks for the final 43 games last season after Lenny Wilkens was forced to resign.

The first time Brown spent any quality time with Williams was last summer at a clinic in Memphis that Brown conducts annually to help find assistant coaching jobs for his many friends in the business.

"Everybody I've ever talked to thinks the world of him," said Brown, who recalled first crossing paths with Williams in 1980 when Brown, coaching UCLA, defeated Williams' Ohio State team.

Brown met with Thomas on Thursday night, then spent parts of the next few days discussing the pros and cons of coaching the Knicks with his wife, Shelly, and his young children, T.J. and Madison.

Brown said health problems related to his bladder will not prohibit him from coaching, and he has tried to assure his wife that he'll get the rest his doctors have been ordering during the months of August and September before training camp opens.

First, of course, the Knicks would have to formally offer the job and then work out contract details with Brown's agent. And before Dolan offers a contract, he wanted a face-to-face reading with the nomadic coach who parted acrimoniously with his last two owners -- Detroit's Bill Davidson and Philadelphia's Ed Snider.

Dolan has signed the paychecks of Williams, Wilkens, Don Chaney and Jeff Van Gundy during his tenure as head of the team's ownership group.

Each of those coaches had varying levels of comfort or discomfort with Dolan, and Brown's lasting impression from their Sunday night meeting should go a long way toward determining whether the process of trying to hire him will continue moving forward.

"A lot will happen when I talk with Herb, then Mr. Dolan," Brown said Saturday.

Turns out it was Mr. Dolan, then Herb.

Brown said he had no problem with speaking to Dolan before Williams.

"It just so happened that Mr. Dolan was in the Hamptons for the weekend," said Brown, whose house was staked out by television crews, photographers and reporters.

Brown said he was angered Sunday night when a television crew rang his doorbell after Dolan and Thomas had left.
(article)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:31 pm
Its' official. The Knicks finally have a quality coach. Now if they can only get a whole new roster, they'll do just fine!

Maybe they can trade that human pile of dung Allan Houston for a few basketballs or something. They will suck until the day that as*hole goes away.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 09:24 pm
Well, it's been quite some time since this thread started, and holy crap, the Knicks are actually WORSE than they were two years ago. I think Isaiah Thomas has been taking coaching advice from George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld.

Tonight I watched the Wizards kick the knicks' ass in pretty much every way you can kick a team's ass...at the end the fans in NY were chanting..."FIRE THOMAS...FIRE THOMAS..."

I guess that's one way to try to take your mind off the fact that you actually paid to see this joke of a team.

Is this the bottom of the barrel? Is it possible that they can get even worse?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 09:34 am
glancing over this thread brings back memories of when i used to be a fan of the sport.

these days i'd rather watch a hockey game (if there's no baseball or football games on, that is...)
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:00 pm
kickycan wrote:
Well, it's been quite some time since this thread started, and holy crap,Is this the bottom of the barrel? Is it possible that they can get even worse?

I wouldn't put it past them.

I knew the Knicks were in trouble when they got Marbury. Anybody who follows basketball in the area saw what happened when the Nets traded Marbury for Kidd-the Nets became immediate contenders. You would think that would tell the Knicks something.

But no-when Marbury became available, they grabbed him. The sportswriters started fawning all over the hometown angle, like they hadn't seen how the Nets improved when they traded Marbury away.

Then everybody acting shocked when the Knicks play as badly as the Nets did with Marbury. Sheesh. And New York is supposed to be a basketball-savvy town.
0 Replies