can isiah thomas and LARRY BROWN save the knicks?

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:36 am
I saw a funny line in today's NY Times re the fact that modern players don't necessarily know much about those who preceded them. Shaq apparently asked Wilkens, his coach during an Olympics, "You ever play?"
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:12 am
i'm somewhat shocked asst. coach brendan malone was let go. he & isiah go way back... his possible next move will be trading for rasheed wallace. he's worn out his welcome with the jailblazers, who are desperately trying to bring in players who don't have criminal records.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:21 am
I've read rumors of the Knicks trying to get Rasheed. To say he's worn out his welcome in Portland is a major understatement...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
if nothing else, isiah has really shaken up the team and made them relevant once again. his moves seem almost "steinbrennerian"...

thought this was very telling of the atmosphere in knickland yesterday, from ESPN.com

Before speaking with the media, the grim-faced trio of Chaney, Kruger and Malone huddled near a bank of exercise cycles. Meanwhile, a group of several developmental coaches, including Thomas-imports Mark Aguirre and George Glymph, laughed and shot baskets after the players had left -- a stark visual contrast of the two Knicks factions, the beaten-down outgoing one vs. another that had held the court.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 11:12 am
wilkens is 3-0 as coach, and the mcdyess trade is starting to look like a steal for the knicks -- he's struggling to get back to 100% health, tendinitis in the knee has put him on the IL for at least 5 games... marbury's putting up isiah-like #'s (28 points + 14 assists yesterday vs toronto).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 11:22 am
Phoenix trading for McDyess made no sense to me, given his knee problem. But I suspect there's more to that deal than meets the eye...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:19 am
meanwhile, across the hudson, the nets' byron scott got the ax today. when was the last time a coach of a first place team got fired? has it ever happened?? apparently his fate was sealed friday night after losing handily to miami.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:07 pm
I suspect Jason (What Me?) Kidd may have had a hand in this...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 06:48 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Phoenix trading for McDyess made no sense to me, given his knee problem. But I suspect there's more to that deal than meets the eye...

Three Words:

$$$
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:26 am
am i hallucinating?
if the season ended today the knicks would be the 7th seed in the playoffs. they're tied with the celtics for 2nd place in the leastern conference.
nothing to write home about, but better than being the perennial lottery-bound wannaB's they started the year as...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:03 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
am i hallucinating?
if the season ended today the knicks would be the 7th seed in the playoffs. they're tied with the celtics for 2nd place in the leastern conference.
nothing to write home about, but better than being the perennial lottery-bound wannaB's they started the year as...

Me, You, and 3 other scrubs could make the playoffs out of The East.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:06 am
they knocked off indiana last night! isiah got revenge on bird for firing him last summer.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:03 pm
jury's still out -- they dropped their last 3 straight... however they now lead the league in thomases (isiah, kurt & tim).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:38 pm
Wow, COL is right. The Eastern conference blows. But now the Knicks have Kareem Abdul Jabbar! Will this help?

I think they have at least a couple years before they are a real contender. Next year when they get Kobe, that will be a great start! I can dream, can't I?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:22 am
it'll surely be a challenge for KAJ to straighten out newly-acquired vin baker
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1757626

i guess if you're 6'-10" you'll always have an NBA roster spot, regardless...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:19 am
the houston rockets are doing a good impression of the knicks of the 90's, signing 40 year old charles oakley
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1762473
he joins mark jackson & clarence weatherspoon on the court, and jeff van gundy & patrick ewing on the bench... i've already been watching a lot more rockets games this year -- now i might hafta start rootin' for 'em!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:07 pm
Oh my god, Oak is coming back!? I love that guy. How the hell is he going to be able to play though? What is he going to do, play about three minutes a game? Whatever, I'll watch them when I can now. The playoffs are gonna be fun with him back.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:16 pm
he'll prolly stand under the rocket's basket, tossing both elbows and adventurous point guards away like yesterday's trash.

as we speak the ref's are practicing making the "T" sign in anticipation for tonight's rockets game @ golden state.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:36 pm
I love it!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 01:46 pm
if only jordan had gotten the itch to play baseball a few years earlier, that '92 knicks team would've gone all the way!!
i was at game 6 knicks-bulls, waving the towel so hard i threw out my shoulder... those were the days.
0 Replies