downloading picasa editing software

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:44 pm
I don't download a lot of software so it's hard for me to guess how long it takes, at the same time I know computers vary on this re their individual timing for any given download.

I clicked on download picasa 3.8 for mac quite a while ago; the window said "picasa download in progress". After about a half hour I started looking around on google to find out how long it takes on a Mac OS X 5.8 w/safari, got some site that charges money to answer, pfffft, checked into a2k, got distracted with the new post discussions.. looked back to find the picasa download site and apparently I had closed it. Grrrrrr at self.

So, I started downloading it again. Five minutes passing.. I don't want to wait for an hour and have it not be downloading in actuality.

Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,591 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Hello Osso

It should only take a few minutes to download Picasa...

there are other software programs you could try if you can't get it to download

http://able2know.org/topic/169981-1

however, if you can get picasa to download, it is good software and very user friendly; it's one I used for many years a while back.

I have heard many good reports about gimp too.

thack45

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:55 pm
Depending on how much editing you want to do Osso, you may just want to do it all online. Photobucket and the like have surprisingly sophisticated editing options. Just a thought.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:57 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks - it seems fishy it's taking so long.

I assume I can use Picasa for a web album using other software for editing - straighten me out if that's not true.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 05:00 pm
@thack45,
Yah, I already use photobucket. It's not as good as my old canon scanner software, but I have a different scanner now.

Gotta read up, will check the thread Izzie mentioned, and Gimp.
thack45

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I have gimp as well and I'll be danged if I know how to use it. If you do go that route, hit up djjd as I believe I've seen that he's knowledgeable about the software. (Hmm, maybe I should take my own advice) .
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 05:25 pm
@thack45,
Thanks, Thack. Djjd is off in the wilds helping his sister for a few weeks, but if I do choose gimp, I'll pester him with questions if I have them - which is probable.
Right this minute I think consider using photobucket to get my photos from my desktop, edited, then back to desktop, and then put them on different sites for different usage. Today I'm toying with putting my paintings on a private album at Picasa, which is what brought all this up. Paintings should always be chosen - according to me - by seeing them in person, so 'good enough' is probably good enough.

I've a photobucket question too - there is a limit re the mb that you can add on there, but I don't know how to tell how much I'm already using. Tis a puzzlement to be such a dullard at this.

EDIT, I figured the last part out - by looking at my account page and then reviewing how many mb in a gb (you get 10 gbs at photobucket free) - lots of room left.
Izzie

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi Osso - I'm not sure about Picasa Web Albums... or are they Google Albums. I just click the upload button from Picasa and up they load... so easy, quick once you have your settings sorted... if you can manage to download it, it would be worth it for your purposes. There is a limit to the amount of GB you have - but it's a fair size so I wouldn't worry too much. You are limited in this software for the exif information that is provided for photographs - but if you are scanning then this will be no problem.

I've not used gimp... people have informed me they use it quite well but again, they have basic editing funtionality.

Photobucket, I don't like - the quality is pap to be honest. It also has a GB limit and you can't put more that 2500 in one album... it has more restrictions, to my knowledge, than picasa - I am biased tho because I really don't like the quality of the pics on PB and I do think Picasa quality is better - not brilliant - but certainly better.

Most of these free software packages change your photos to some extent, there's not too much you can do about that.

Let us know how you get on.

G'nite x

edit: Picasa is also particularly useful for private albums which is something I had to do in the last few months to prevent photos being used. The Private function will allow you to send an email to those you wish to see an album or picture within the confines of your privacy. Do remember tho, people do copy your photos - so don't put up anything that can be used by other people without clicking the "private" feature and you'll see a padlock on the album. Obviously, this can be edited at a later stage if you wish to.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:12 pm
@Izzie,
Night, Izzie.
Izzie

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
just edited the above so may need a quick read back.

G'nite
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:15 pm
OK, herself is going to try gimp. G'help me, if I can't even download the picasa software. Wish me luck.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Downloading was easy, as it usually is, 'cept for picasa and me.
0 Replies

janett

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:24 pm
@Izzie,
I was able to download picasa on my mac in a few minutes. but when i run the software, it just took so long to important the pictures into it (at least one hour). The more annoying part is that it imports pictures from the websites I visited.

i wonder how to stop picasa doing that? Also, how to rename the ablum. all my current folders are orginized by date, and i could not rename them
0 Replies