List of Free Photo Editing Programs

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 12:49 pm
I ran across this article evaluating a list of the best free photo editing programs as well as the top free online photo editing sites. Since it is a frequent topic here, I thought I'd share it:

http://www.guidetoartschools.com/tips-and-tools/free-photo-editing

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,834 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ceili

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, I'm going to check some of these out.
Butrflynet

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:13 pm
@Ceili,
I am interested in some of them too, especially the last one in the list of online editors that allows you to not only edit but create images.
0 Replies

djjd62

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
i've been using Gimp for about two years now, i really like it
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:16 pm
@Ceili,
Me too -- thanks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:37 pm
I really like Picnik, use it a lot.
0 Replies

littlek

Tue 29 Mar, 2011 05:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
A very handy list! Thanks Bnet!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 28 May, 2011 06:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, bfn, this has been a help.
ossobuco

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 02:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I'm in the middle of a meltdown just trying to get into my newly downloaded gimp, much less use it.
Actually, I've melted.
Just about everything I've looked at on SourceForge/gimp is completely befuddling. Even the system for asking a question is completely offputting. I will never be smart enough, and now I want to get rid of it.

I figured out how to close the account (I think) but, past that, I need to figure out how to get all traces of the download off my Imac. My applications and utilities look different than they did an hour ago, I think, with what may be several additions, but am not positive.

Hellllllllp! No hurry, but advice needed. I've never uninstalled anything before, at least that I remember.
ossobuco

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 03:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Now I have to make up my mind. I found the icon for the Gimp. It was under the set of icons for the parts of Gimp (oh, never mind).
The directions say to just drop it to my application folder.
But, it won't go.
This may be because - while I have the right OS, I may not have something called x11. This could makes sense, as because before the big hard drive crash in 2009, something messed up my IPhoto, which I've been without since the Mac help guy replaced the hard drive.

So that would mean, to get the Gimp to be in my applications, I have to add x11 from my original installation disk optional install folder (according to gimp).
I probably will need this whatever photo processing site I choose. But, the good news is that I can get rid of Gimp by trashing the icon, if I really mean it is too hard for me. I do, I do.

Stay tuned.
ossobuco

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
What a rigamarole.
First I quit the account (and can never go back - but oh, wait, I could if I changed my screen name).
Then I looked again at my Applications and saw three gimps in there, that weren't there the three times I looked before. Trashed them.
Then I tossed the Gimp icon in the trash but the trash refused it, and refused it again. A notice said I should quit applications.
But there were no items of this date in applications.
Tried closing that, no dice re it helping me trash the icon.
Finally shut off the mac, turned it on again, and voila, I'm free of it.

Obviously, a huge part of all this is from my end, but I didn't find it user friendly. I guess it isn't supposed to be.

I'll rest a bit and then try to figure out the x11 business.

(adds, looks like x11 relates to ms windows, I think I'll let that go for now.)
ossobuco

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
And finally, off I go to piknik, which looks much more my speed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 5 Dec, 2013 11:31 am
I've been using Picasa 3 for a few years, and really like it. The program that comes with Windows is easy to use, and I change between the two.
0 Replies